Newly discovered '60 burst at Bristol Guitar Show today - photos

rich85

Reaction score
I don't know what type of restoration that a guy that does "refins" would do on this guitar. Am I missing something? Does this guitar need new paint?

I assumed Kim to replace the frets and deal with those rusted flathead pickup ring screws but obviously Joe Glaser is the fret king for the job

AML

Reaction score
The bridge posts are sheared off flush with the maple cap and the frets are totally shot :)
Isn't this a bit like Rowan Atkinson's crashed McLaren F1? No matter what the damage is, it's always worth repairing.

And - like the car - the care and attention it will get in now will be far better than anything it got at the time it was built. I bet it'll be a great guitar.

shark

Reaction score
grats again Joe.!! you will make a whole lotta people very happy when it comes your turn to give em back..

these 60's les pauls are part of the now famous missing ledger book too I only assume bec the book is missing :)

pmonk

Reaction score
Besides the 6th National Jazz and Blues Festival, was there any other time Clapton used the Richard burst?

rich85

Reaction score
I reaaalllyyy want to see what the colour is under the Bigsby!

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
UnderBigsby001.jpg

To me, it's fully acceptable to put the stoptail and ABR1 back
on and bring it back to the original Specifications.
The shadow gives it character and individuality.
I'm sure Joe's gonna do, what Joe wants to do, but
I can't see a reason for the Bigsby to go back on.

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gone through the pics again, the carve really is awesome. What tickles me a bit is its slightly similar to my R8 in terms of the top.

AML

Reaction score

To me, it's fully acceptable to put the stoptail and ABR1 back
on and bring it back to the original Specifications.
The shadow gives it character and individuality.
I'm sure Joe's gonna do, what Joe wants to do, but
I can't see a reason for the Bigsby to go back on.
I tend to agree. If you want a Bigsby for the playing benefit, then fair enough. But aesthetically, at best it looks fugly - like braces on the smile of an angelic child.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I love about these old guitars is the way the lacquer develops this really diffuse sheen effect. light reflections are blurred, the Murphy lab hasn't got that right.

roberty

Reaction score
More info from Mike at ATB

And some good quality photos on their website

1970Deluxe

Reaction score
Contrary to what was suggested by ATB Guitars in their YouTube video......I don't really see the need for a "total refurberation", whatever that means?? This vintage Les Paul only needs the following: (1) a thorough cleaning of the guitar's finish and hardware - to remove years of grit, sweat, and grime; (2) the ABR-1 tune-o-matic bridge and broken posts need to be repaired; (3) the pots, switch, and jack need to be cleaned and lubricated; (4) the guitar needs a re-fret with correct fret wire, new nut & condition the fingerboard; (5) clean & lubricate the Kluson tuners (maybe replace the shrunken tuner buttons); the PAFs should be inspected for functionality and damage; (7) a professional setup. That's all she needs folks. It clearly doesn't require a "total refurberation"..... which is not even a real word found in the dictionary.

It's a common ploy in the vintage guitar business to "diss" the guitar's condition & originality in order to low-ball a seller. If in fact this took place, then I have little respect and trust for this shop.

Last edited:

roberty

Reaction score
@rich85 great find. Do you know what happened to the pickup, was it beyond redemption?

rich85

Reaction score
@rich85 great find. Do you know what happened to the pickup, was it beyond redemption?

That photo was from a friend who went to the guitar show today. Joe wasn’t hanging around to talk about the guitars though.

Latest Threads