Newly discovered '60 burst at Bristol Guitar Show today - photos

roberty

Reaction score
The current owner bought it for £50 after seeing Eric Clapton play one in 1967. It has been in storage for a long while now

The guitar has not been plugged in yet so it's not clear whether the pickups/electrics are functional. The fretboard is extremely dry. One of the bridge posts is snapped and needs to be extracted. It needs refretting. The Bigsby leaver is gone.

Structurally though it is sound with no breaks, and the finish is in excellent condition as you can see here

Mike at ATB will be vlogging the restoration process so if you're interested in this at all it is probably a good idea to subscribe to their channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/ATBGuitars

Estimated value after restoration is £175k

I appreciate that the photos are not the best, it's a bit awkward to do when people are shuffling past and jostling for a view. I hope you enjoy them all the same

wGNb6so.jpeg

Dy13zOr.jpeg

zeo0E1l.jpeg

sQrAkqe.jpeg

Pi9UYAn.jpeg

Nick-O

Reaction score
oh man...that to my old eyes is a beautiful guitar...I am in love with....yep

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, That top is crazy nice, new bridge posts and a clean up should be enough?

roberty

Reaction score
Nice, That top is crazy nice, new bridge posts and a clean up should be enough?

Mike at ATB seemed to think it needed a refret. They're pretty gross. Maybe because it is player grade it is better to make it into a player? Or maybe they're corroded or maybe the fretboard needs serious attention. I'll be watching the video updates with interest for sure

Screenshot_2022-04-24-18-16-22-65_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Uncle Vinnie

Help me Mr. Wizard!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike at ATB seemed to think it needed a refret. They're pretty gross. Maybe because it is player grade it is better to make it into a player? Or maybe they're corroded or maybe the fretboard needs serious attention. I'll be watching the video updates with interest for sure

View attachment 604918

It'd be worth a dressing and crowning to see if the original frets could be saved

roberty

Reaction score
I know some people like them but it's a shame people destroyed the tops of these guitars with Bigsgys.

On the other hand if you do like Bigsbys you can get what you want at a devalued price :)

kelsodeez

Reaction score
So, I thought that the 1960 bursts didn't fade and I thought it needed a lot of sunlight to fade that much? How would it get that much uv light if the story of sitting under the bed for 50+ years is true?

Uncle Vinnie

Help me Mr. Wizard!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody oil that board ... PLEASE!!

Latest Threads