Newly Aquired 1966 Deluxe Reverb

Six Gun

Reaction score
1966 Deluxe Reverb 430V. Plate w/Mullard GZ34 & RCA 6V6GTA.

I got so lucky on this one, the cloth is near minty and the tone is just amazing with the old stock Jensen C12NA I put in the amp and pulled the Oxford for safekeeping.

The amp came with the original tubes and Victoria Amp Cover that kept the cloth looking new. (It pays to keep your amps covered). Take the tight fitting cover off and the amp is always dust free.

After I installed new Sprague Atom Filter Caps ( I left the original Bias Cap and Bypass Caps in the amp since they have no issues and I wanted to see the numbers before I install a 100uF/100v. Bias Cap and the new 25uF/50v. Bypass caps) and the new 1965/66 Jensen C12NA Speaker I then installed a new 3 Prong Grounded 14 Ga. 10' foot long Panamax Power Cord.

I was then ready to fire the amp up for the first time.

I hooked-up the trusty Weber Bias Rite and grabbed a new NOS Set of old 1965 (BE) RCA 6V6GTA from my tube stash and turned-on the amps power.

All the tubes glowed just right and I let it warm up. I had the Weber Bias Rite set to mA so when I fired-up the amp if the numbers shot up over 30 mA I could quickly turn the amp off and turn the Bias Pot Adjustment down.

Sure enough the amp went up to about 39 mA and I shut it down quickly, turned down the Bias Pot and fired-it up again. Now I had 17 mA, much better. So I flipped the Bias Rite Meter to the Plate Voltage setting and the amp was at 420 V. on the plates.

I let the amp warm-up for 15 minutes w/standby off (Volume Off on both Channels) and then I checked the plate voltage again. Now the amp is at 430 Volts and it's staying there steady now.

So I go to my trusty Weber Bias Calc. website and I select Class AB and select 6V6GTA and put the 430 volts in the Plate Voltage box and come up with 22.7 mA.

I then get my favorite Bias Pot Screwdriver to adjust the new numbers and I switch to V8 and get 22.8 and then to V7 and I get 22.7.

I cannot believe the two tubes were matched so close, I just grabbed 2 new tubes from the sleeve. These are never used, real NOS tubes so this may be why they were close from the same run/sleeve.

After I had the amp running with the bias adjusted for about 10 minutes, I then took a wooden chop-stick and I tapped each pre-amp tube to see if they were seated correctly and or micro-phonic. I found V4 RCA 7025 was a bit micro-phonic and I replaced it with a Mullard 163 12AX7A from the 1965 era. Now the amp was fine.I then installed a NOS RCA Long-Plate Black-Plate 7025 from 1963 in V2.

Now the amp is ready to play. I shut it down. I installed the Foot-Switch and got my Les Paul ready to play.

Now, I fired-up the amp again to play. When I flipped the standby switch on and turned-up the volume the amp was quiet at idle and I put the volume at 7-8 and let er rip.

All I can say is this amp is a keeper and my new main player amp. The reverb tank sounds great and the Tremolo is just right. This is an amazing amp and the old Jensen is what really makes the amps tone.

I love the Celestion Gold in my 1965 Deluxe Reverb, but this old Jensen C12NA gives the amp that old school Fender sound I remember as a young player.
The old Jensen is less efficient and gives you that growl and killer tone.

Some Pics of the beauty, the cloth has never seen water, The Silver thread is still like new. Amp Covers are a must.

80009-pJqcl5ejk5.km5yVmqU-1966_front.jpg

80008-pJqcl5ejk5.km5yVmqU-1966_deluxe_reverb_jensen.jpg

New Sprague Atom Caps inside the old covers to keep old school look. I make a printed Dymo type label about the cap job date and stick it to the top[ of the inside Filter Cap Cover.

80011-pJqcl5ejk5.km5yVmqU-ground_side.jpg

79965-pJqcl5ejk5.km5yVmqU-top_view.jpg

Minty Jensen C12NA from a Bandmaster Ext Cab Pull, has the correct date codes as well to go with the amp. I still have the 2nd. Jensen for another Ext. Cab Speaker Cab.

79896-pJqcl5ejk5.km5yVmqU-jensen_1966_c12na.jpg

6v6gta.lot.jpg

roeg

Reaction score
sweet jesus,that is purdier than angels in heaven,lord have mercy!.....
i'm blown away.:applause:....enjoy!

ya tube stash is....unh....healthy.:)

twangydave

Reaction score
So much win in this thread, can't really compute, think I need a lie down:thumb:

Maxwell

Reaction score
That is fantastic!
I can't believe how good the condition is!
congratulations! !!

Case24

Reaction score
I think I need a cigarette...and I don't even smoke! :wow:

Congratulations on a fine looking amp!

Six Gun

Reaction score
Thanks you guys,

I played tonight and used the amp form a few songs and it was really fun.
These amps are so-wound-up and 430v. on the plates really drives these tubes.

Leo Fender was quite a man. How many companies can you say still use the same original designs since the early to mid 1950s into 2015? His amp Booklets said the amps would last a lifetime with this new Tolex material, and he was right.

12watt

Reaction score
Where the hell do you find these things?

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Reaction score
It's nice to hear people that properly test and maintain vintage amps. Enjoy it!

Six Gun

Reaction score
12 Watt,

I find the amps in all kinds of places.

When I travel I visit every decent Pawn Shop and small Mom & Pop Music Shops in
small Towns. You just never know.

Played tonight,

I also like to play the old JBL D120F Speakers with the Deluxe Reverb.
I can get some Hendrix tone with this speaker, the original cone speakers only.
The 4" Voice-Coil is just an amazing design and the Wound-Up Deluxe Reverb pushes the speaker into "The Twilight Zone"...

I have two Etx. 12" Cabs, one with the JBL D120F and the other has a Black Frame Gold Label Trumpet Cone Kendrick, a killer speaker .

80013-pJqcl5ejk5.km5yVmqU-jbl_d120f_cone_.jpg

DYMOSupport

Reaction score
Hiya Six Gun!

Just wanted to pop my head in and tell you that it is looking absolutely stunning! It is such a delight for the eyes.

Great catch and great job on your end, big congratulations. :)

Quite an interesting but smart use of the Dymo as well, please do share more whenever you can, it is clearly loved by a lot of us. :)

Best regards,
Jesper K
DYMOSupport

Six Gun

Reaction score
Jesper,

You will really dig my old stock 1965 Rolls of 1/4" Gold that Marshall used on the amps. I have a stash of boxes of the 1965 Tapes, and the sticky tape works like new. It has that special metallic Gold the new tapes don't have. The Vintage Marshall Amps used the Dymo labels for the Back panel, LEAD and BASS and the
Amps for the Fuses. They used Black and Gold, mostly Gold. I am the only person with rolls from 1965.

My cool Magnafying Glass Block from 1901 London, I can start a fire using the sun
in no time with this block. It was made for stamp collectors, super rare.

complete.jpg

gold-tapes-3.jpg

88.jpg

labels-box.jpg

Latest Threads