newer bands with that old school vibe

splatter

Reaction score
I have a hard time finding music with that old school vibe. You know has some good rocking riffs and a smoking lead and isn't tuned down to a key that Barry white sings in.
SO I thought I would start a thread with some suggestions for those of us who like that kind of music.
They don't have to be brand new bands just something fairly recent that my not be well known.
Ill start with 2 I recently discovered

first is "revolution saints" , If they sound familiar its because Doug Aldrich is playing for them.
next is "Roxanne" While Lynch plays with them on a couple of songs I believe its just guest appearances.

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great thread idea :applause:

Alas, I'm not sure they're still around :(

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Thundermother is a good one.. they haven’t toured the US as of yet but I’m hopeful. Very obvious AC/DC vibe but it’s an all female band... worth checking out..

I personally prefer their first two albums with the original singer. The newest one isn’t bad. I just prefer the original vocalist more.

Zungle

Reaction score
Take a little time and listen to the entire album....

Very good....

meatball

Reaction score
I have a hard time finding music with that old school vibe. You know has some good rocking riffs and a smoking lead and isn't tuned down to a key that Barry white sings in.
SO I thought I would start a thread with some suggestions for those of us who like that kind of music.
They don't have to be brand new bands just something fairly recent that my not be well known.

first is "revolution saints" , If they sound familiar its because Doug Aldrich is playing for them.
next is "Roxanne" While Lynch plays with them on a couple of songs I believe its just guest appearances.

Thats Jack Blades from Night Ranger on Bass ! Great Songwriter ,, He and Tommy Shaw did a great duo in ShawBlades ,, You should You Tube some of their covers ,, They are funny and entertaining too. . Doug Aldridge has a smooth attack on that Goldtop ... Great tone

jkes01

Reaction score
Not really new, but I like Blackberry Smoke. Also check out Blacktop Mojo.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank God....I thought FOR SURE this was another GVF thread.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score

I love that in the Roxanne video they're switching guitars throughout. Besides the Burst and the Vee, there's also a sonic blue and a white Strat, a Firebird or knockoff, an old fiberglass National or copy, and at least 3 basses (sunburst P, white J, and something black)

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there any bands that capture old school sound and feelings that Pink Floyd could pull off?

Sledge

Reaction score
Damn, I really like everything about that Roxann - Go Fuck Yourself song! Great lyrics and a solid song and a cool video! Best I've heard in a long time!

DotStudio

Reaction score
Not quite the same flavor of old school, but "Coming Home" by Leon Bridges is one of my favorite albums from recent memory. I like to put on the album and solo over it.