newbie needs help evaluating LPs

100LL

Reaction score
I just joined and introduced myself today. I’m an acoustic player, but not really that experienced anyway.
I decided an electric simply has to be in my stable, and pretty much converged on the idea of a Gibson for that purpose. While an SG might probably be smarter, my lust is there for an LP.

I’m a bit smitten with the ocean blue livery and was hoping for some advice on a few that i’ve found on reverb and ebay (first searched here of course, with no luck)

anyway, if the forum rules allow it I would like to post links to a couple that I’m considering so the experienced guys here could offer opinions.

dodona

Reaction score
first of all listen to what your ears, eyes and fingers say,. As an acoustic player you are used to play heavy gauged strings with high action. That's a big problem. Typical for a modern LP are light gauge strings and a low action. I play 010ths with a reletively low action good for blues, bending and vibrato. You have to become used to play lighter gauged strings with low action before you are able to decide which LP is good for you.

LocoTex

Reaction score
Post some you are looking at and the experts here (not me) will be able to tell you everything about it, including a reasonable price.

Welcome!

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Yes. Post some. If we can’t be of help we’ll make something up. Also, a big WELCOME!

100LL

Reaction score
here’s one:

and another:

lpfan1980

Reaction score
There are lots and lots of styles types and years of LPs find one that suits you the best that Signature is nice for sure Gibson has been on a blue kick the last few years-oh and The lp is generally heavier than an accoustic so maybe youll prefer a chambered rather than a traditional solid-and :welcome:

Becker34

Reaction score
If you're able to play as many as you can, do so. Every guitar is different and will play and sound different from each other even if they have the same specs. There might be a guitar that does "it" for you in the looks department but plays like dogshit, and another that looks like ass but plays like a dream.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
It’s not a problem getting used to lighter strings. The two Les Pauls that you posted are fine but are priced a little high for what they are, especially the double cutaway model. If you plan to play one standing up with a strap and have a bad back, try to get one under 9 pounds. I have a 2014 ocean blue Traditional, it’s completely solid but only weighs 9 pounds. It’s arguably better than either guitar you posted and can be found for close to the same price of the ones you listed.

But first, what size necks do you like? What type of music do you want to play? What amp are you planning to get?

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Check out the cobalt lines...
it is bananas in person

-Chris

100LL

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments so far.
I'm trying to keep the guitar under $2k because I want to pair it up with a suitable amp. I figured I need to plan for somewhere between 1 and 2 grand for the amp. 4k all in is about my limit for this folly :confused:

freak

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments so far.
I'm trying to keep the guitar under $2k because I want to pair it up with a suitable amp. I figured I need to plan for somewhere between 1 and 2 grand for the amp. 4k all in is about my limit for this folly :confused:
Depends what kind of amp you want? Combo? 1/2 stack? Vintage?
you could get a used Marshall dsl40 for maybe $600 bucks.
You can get a Fender twin used for $700, spend a bit on pedals, and go that route also.

BKS

Reaction score
I love that double cut... But than i have a weak for dc models.... I have 2 older ones, just no blue one. :dunno:

100LL

Reaction score
I don't know why I like that ocean blue so much, but I can't keep my eyes off it

A month ago I was thinking pretty hard about a Strat Shawbucker HSS and was going to pair it with a tube Fender, probably a Princeton Reverb '65 or maybe a Combo Tube Champ.

I saw the Shawbucker as a good all around answer to make a lot of sounds. Kind of a great on paper solution. But there are mixed reviews on it and after more reading an LP seemed to me to fit the bill best. I'm the type that buys quality or doesn't buy at all, and a real Gibson LP or american PRS are my comfort zones. I'm sure I'll also have to pick up an American strat at some point in the journey. If I could afford to blow 20 grand I would pull the trigger on one of the above $4k LPs, a PRS Strat and a Fender Telecaster Custom.

I'm sure it's an exhaustive topic, but what's the first amp (home use, tube) that pops in your head to pair up with all the above?

Last edited:

KS 5150

Reaction score
I don't know why I like that ocean blue so much, but I can't keep my eyes off it

A month ago I was thinking pretty hard about a Strat Shawbucker and was going to pair it with a tube Fender, probably a Princeton Reverb '65 or maybe a Combo Tube Champ.

I saw the Shawbucker as a good all around answer to make a lot of sounds. Kind of a great on paper solution. But there are mixed reviews on it and after more reading an LP seemed to me to fit the bill best. I'm the type that buys quality or doesn't buy at all, and a real Gibson LP or american PRS are my comfort zones. I'm sure I'll also have to pick up an American strat at some point in the journey. If I could afford to blow 20 grand I would pull the trigger on one of the above $4k LPs, a PRS Strat and a Fender Telecaster Custom.

I'm sure it's an exhaustive topic, but what's the first amp (home use, tube) that pops in your head to pair up with all the above?
You might have answered your own question. That DC is beautiful, and is priced decently. I'd look to contact them directly, and try to buy from therm to minimize Reverb fees, which would make it considerably cheaper. That's what I did with my new SG. You can always barter to a acceptable price. Assuming of course that you land on this one. Best of luck with whatever you do :thumb:

Last edited:

100LL

Reaction score
update...I bought an american strat from a fellow that is also selling the LP classic linked below. Curious if you could give some opinions on its value as well as the pros/cons of the "classic" model. i kind of get the "studio" and "traditional" and "standard" models. emphasis on the kind of

thanks

Last edited:

Sinster

Reaction score
What aircraft is your Avatar? I'm old and on a 15" screen so i can't really tell,. and btw Welcome ;)

sonar1

Reaction score
update...I bought an american strat from a fellow that is also selling the LP classic linked below. Curious if you could give some opinions on its value as well as the pros/cons of the "classic" model. i kind of get the "studio" and "traditional" and "standard" models. emphasis on the kind of

thanks

Congratulations!
New Classics go for a couple grand.
Strats have longer necks than LP Gibson’s. Changes the feel and of course sound different than LP’s.
I played acoustic exclusively for a few years. Then got an electric. Power steering!

Latest Threads