Newb that’s ready for the Reissue life

BBD

Reaction score
If mfolet recommended a guitar to me, I'd probably buy it unless I didn't like the top. Don't know mfolet personally, but he knows his onions. Of the two you posted in the OP, the second one hands down because I prefer that type of figure. Totally a personal thing.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Theres only one way to find out the cost of the one mfolet posted. Call and ask, negotiate and see if its doable. I'd take that one over the 2 you posted but I'd also take either of the ones you posted if number 3 was a no go.

DanD

Reaction score
Wildwood has always given me the best service and the best set-ups of any retailer.

Their prices are not usually negotiable. At least not by much. Over time they have become a little more flexible with me on price but they are not a discount/ blowout retailer.

However you get what you pay for. I've noticed over time that they have gone out of their way to make things right by me.

If price is king eBay and reverb are your best bet.

If you want it right the first time round the extra $$$ paid at Wildwood are worth it in my book.

I'm done buying. Over the past 30 years I've bought from Dave's, MF, Sweetwater, Reverb, ebay, Rainbow, MusicZoo, and others I can't remember off hand. I've still got a few I need to sell.

Of the 7 guitars (down from over 30) that are my keepers 4 came from Wildwood ('15 BB7, '17 '58/CC29, AV '64 Tele, and '67 Smuggler Tele).

The others came from a forum (Hamer Monaco Elite Braz Copper top one-off NAMM show), eBay ('14 Benchmark R9 Bloomfield Burst), and a now defunct dealer ('08 RS Stepside factory w/3 Rolph's singles).

Coincidence? Idk, but I can say that I've found that the Wildwood Guitars have required the least amount of set -up fiddling on my part.

Wildwood is a 1st class shop IMO. Is it worth the extra $$$?

That's your call. :cheers2:

Last edited:

Magnets And Melodies

Reaction score
Wildwood has always given me the best service and the best set-ups of any retailer.

Their prices are not usually negotiable. At least not by much. Over time they have become a little more flexible with me on price but they are not a discount/ blowout retailer.

However you get what you pay for. I've noticed over time that they have gone out of their way to make things right by me.

If price is king eBay and reverb are your best bet.

If you want it right the first time round the extra $$$ paid at Wildwood are worth it in my book.

I'm done buying. Over the past 30 years I've bought from Dave's, MF, Sweetwater, Reverb, ebay, Rainbow, MusicZoo, and others I can't remember off hand. I've still got a few I need to sell.

Of the 7 guitars (down from over 30) that are my keepers 4 came from Wildwood ('15 BB7, '17 '58/CC29, AV '64 Tele, and '67 Smuggler Tele).

The others came from a forum (Hamer Monaco Elite Braz Copper top one-off NAMM show), eBay ('14 Benchmark R9 Bloomfield Burst), and a now defunct dealer ('08 RS Stepside factory w/3 Rolph's singles).

Coincidence? Idk, but I can say that I've found that the Wildwood Guitars have required the least amount of set -up fiddling on my part.

Wildwood is a 1st class shop IMO. Is it worth the extra $$$?

That's your call. :cheers2:

I really wanted to buy a guitar from Wildwood earlier this year, for many of the reasons you stated, but also because it was a unique top that only WW had. As far as I know the guitar is still there months later.

Price is why I didn't. It wasn't just a little more expensive.. it was a good $1000 more than similar guitars at other shops, new.

Ended up going with CME again and I could not be happier. My sales guy is brilliant and has hooked me up with the best guitars I've ever played (and graciously steered me away from ones he didn't think would be good enough for my taste). Setups were immaculate. I got a couple unicorn LP's out of it for far less than I would have ever paid at Wildwood.

I whole heartedly agree with you're last post. WW would be a sleep easy choice if the money is worth it to you / not an issue for you... but that's not to say you can't get that level of service elsewhere for much less $$$. If they had a bit more wiggle room I know they'd get a lot more of my, and other members business.

Just to clarify this isn't an anti-WW post. I think anyone buying a guitar from Wildwood is gonna come away with a wicked guitar, and they absolutely are people that care greatly about the products they sell. Their reputation is solid for a reason, because it holds up to peoples experiences time and time again.

I just wanted to share my perspective with them, as I think it rings true for others here and on other forums that would like to be their customer, but are just held back by the price of entry.

Last edited:

L96A1

Reaction score
Instant reminder of BFG, hm... I'd say his feathered Grestch.LOL

Good luck with your hunt, Pearly is really sexy.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
buy used....or Call Curt.....no other way man....

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Don't rush it, take your time
There’s so many.. ugh.. another one popped up yesterday .. it’s very affordable in the world of reissues.. only thing that concerns me is Gibson’s advertise neck thickness specs versus actual.. I get it that they are hand sanded and some may get a little less off the back than others .. like the current year model ones...R8/R9 have the same thickness measurements advertised on Gibson’s site.. so on that, if the neck is the same, outside of how figured the top is, what’s the major difference ? I wished they had a couple to test drive locally ..

Heinz57

Reaction score
reissuelife.jpg

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
There’s a R8 in my crosshairs... I originally wanted an R9 but this has a really nice top and it’s only a couple years old... hopefully nobody will swoop in on it before some funds hit the bank.

ConspicuousHippo

Reaction score
There’s a R8 in my crosshairs... I originally wanted an R9 but this has a really nice top and it’s only a couple years old... hopefully nobody will swoop in on it before some funds hit the bank.

I really hope we're not looking at the same one LOL.

Latest Threads