New wiring harness for Epi SG

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
I've changed out the wiring harness on several of my guitars and I have been very impressed with the differences. For example, my studio was the most muddy guitar I ever played, I put in one of these harness with 50s wiring and high quality electronics, and the guitar changed, it's been one of the best guitars I've ever owned. I also changed out the harness for my traditional recently and threw in some good quality pickups and I was blown away by the change. (Wolfetone Dr. Vintage :naughty::naughty:

My harnesses are built for my by Lonnie from CreamTone and they have vintage sprague bumblebees that have shifted into spec.

23833107696_4cf8d2796e_b.jpg

My experience with epiphone (I also built my own harness many years ago to replace the stock electronics) is that if you change the electronics, you should also use the opportunity to change the pickups. The pickups will also make a difference. The stock epiphone ones were too muddy and sounded dull to me.
Also go buy some NOS Russian PIO caps from the art of tone over the ceramic caps :naughty::naughty:

20927089125_c8f73f69e1_b.jpg

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
Thank you

no problem have fun and keep us updated. If you want any suggestions on good vintaged voice pickups, check out the Wolfetone PAF style pickups such as the Dr. Vintage or Marshallheads. they sound amazing

Heppe

Reaction score
Just placed my order with Stew Mac, it might take a few weeks for the harness to reach Sweden. As for pups I am buying a set of Lundgren P90's a Swedish winder with outstanding reputation.

Henrik

JohanHaellgren

Reaction score
Just placed my order with Stew Mac, it might take a few weeks for the harness to reach Sweden. As for pups I am buying a set of Lundgren P90's a Swedish winder with outstanding reputation.

Henrik

Lundgren makes the most magical pickups. They have lots of Fjong!

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
I look forward to your review of the pickups, I have a great appreciation for boutique hand wired pickups. A have two sets of Wolftone pickups and also a special set of custom wound CreamTone Pickups. Stock pickups have no match on hand wired pickups

JohanHaellgren

Reaction score
I look forward to your review of the pickups, I have a great appreciation for boutique hand wired pickups. A have two sets of Wolftone pickups and also a special set of custom wound CreamTone Pickups. Stock pickups have no match on hand wired pickups

Totally agree with you. I have a pair o Wolfetone Dr Vintages in my SG, and they sure are great. The aged nickel covers look awesome, as well.

2iloqhy.jpg

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
Totally agree with you. I have a pair o Wolfetone Dr Vintages in my SG, and they sure are great. The aged nickel covers look awesome, as well.

2iloqhy.jpg

Those Dr. Vintage are also amazing. I am very happy with them too!!

Beautiful blue too

Heppe

Reaction score
I'll post a review of thr pups as soon as everything is in place��

Heppe

Reaction score
Harness and pick ups are enroute! Together they cost more than the guitar itself....

Buzzin_Cousin

Reaction score
When you say "shifted into spec," Is there a break in period with these or what made the difference?

I've changed out the wiring harness on several of my guitars and I have been very impressed with the differences. For example, my studio was the most muddy guitar I ever played, I put in one of these harness with 50s wiring and high quality electronics, and the guitar changed, it's been one of the best guitars I've ever owned. I also changed out the harness for my traditional recently and threw in some good quality pickups and I was blown away by the change. (Wolfetone Dr. Vintage :naughty::naughty:

My harnesses are built for my by Lonnie from CreamTone and they have vintage sprague bumblebees that have shifted into spec.

23833107696_4cf8d2796e_b.jpg

My experience with epiphone (I also built my own harness many years ago to replace the stock electronics) is that if you change the electronics, you should also use the opportunity to change the pickups. The pickups will also make a difference. The stock epiphone ones were too muddy and sounded dull to me.
Also go buy some NOS Russian PIO caps from the art of tone over the ceramic caps :naughty::naughty:

20927089125_c8f73f69e1_b.jpg

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
When you say "shifted into spec," Is there a break in period with these or what made the difference?

I guess shifted is not the correct word to use here, drifted much better describes what occurs. Over time, the original ratings have drifted away and within the values consistent with the original bumblebees that were used in the 50s Les Paul.
In this case, they have drifted within close range of 0.022 that was used. Lonnie from CreamTone told me that he usually puts the higher rated caps in the bridge position.

Heppe

Reaction score
Pups arrived today!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 27

Heppe

Reaction score
Harness arrived today!

Can't wait for saturday morning when I will do the upgrade.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 31

Heppe

Reaction score
Took some effort to change the electronics due to the new pots, jack and switch was slightly larger than the stock ones but I managed to sort it out and get it done. Soldered the new Lundgren pups and was good to go!

Firtst impression was there is a quite big output difference between bridge and neck on the P90. Raised the polepieces and got closer and got a good soumd! Called up Mr Lundgren to inform him of the new nice sounds of the guitar and also mentioned the differnece in output, he the asked me to measure the hight of both pups. He wamted to know hight of pickup covers bass and treble side and of each individual pole piece measuered against the string. He then gave instructions on setup and it made a hughe impact!!! Now it sounds Great!!

So happy with the new pups and electronics!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 25

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
Took some effort to change the electronics due to the new pots, jack and switch was slightly larger than the stock ones bit I managed tonsort it out and get it done. Soldered the new Lundgren pups and was good to go!

Fortst impression was there is a quite big output difference between bridge and neck on the P90. Raised the polepieces and got closer and got a good soumd! Called up Mr Lundgren to inform him of the new nice sounds of the guitar and also mentioned the differnece in output, he the asked me to measure the hight of both pups. He wamted to know hight of pickup covers bass and treble side and of each individual pole piece measuered agaimst the string. He then gave instructions on setup and it made a hughe impact!!! Now it sounds Great!!

So happy with the new pups and electronics!

Awesome congrats and I'm very happy you loved your new electronics!:)

Latest Threads