New vs. old strings

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I like new strings. As long as I can get the bass string to twang a little, I'm happy. After they lose their ring, I get rid of em.

Nintari

Reaction score
Old strings sound horrible to me on electric guitars. It sounds like I'm playing the same guitar, but through an amp covered by a wet towel. Nothing but muddy thumps.

ARandall

Reaction score
"Rough" is probably not the best word to describe what I mean - but a new string doesn't seem to slide on the fret as well until it gets a bit of wear on it, unless it's a stainless fret, then it's slippery city from day 1.
Then that confirms its the frets.

mdubya

Reaction score
As long as they are not rusty and crusty and the windings on the wound strings are not wearing through against the frets, I am good to go.

I like certain Pure Nickels sets; Gibson Vintage Reissue and GHS Nickel Rockers or Burnished Nickels are my current favorites, as they wear great and last a very long time.

If I were gigging, I would probably just go through cases of Slinkys, but I am not, so my strings do not get drenched in sweat and blood and beer, like they used to.

There are different requirements for playing for pure joy and gigging out. So a blanket statement does not really work.

But a moderately fresh set of Pure Nickels? Sweet. Even if they are a month old.

Socrates

Reaction score
Or the Optiwebs, even less coated.
Tried those too!...these felt the best to me...but brighter/crisper sounding...I love Elixirs...and happy to string up with Polys,Nanos or Optiwebs anytime.

I live in, and my LPs are exposed to, a constant 72-85% humidity environment...so uncoated strings are just not an option for me

grumphh

Reaction score
For way to many years i just kept my strings on my guitars for as long as possible, because i thought that the dullness would translate to a darker tone - and i disliked the brightness of new strings.
Dumb me.

Ironically old cruddy strings do bring out exactly the trebly shrillness that i so desperately tried to avoid, so the longer i kept the strings on the worse it sounded...

I am with the people who say that after an hour or two of playing new strings sound great for perhaps a week or two - and afte that it is a slow decline until the point where i don't enjoy the tones from my guitars anymore

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I’m in the new string camp. I notice much more of an improvement in brightness with acoustic guitars. I notice less of a change on electrics. I always put new strings on the evening before or in the morning before I had a show - except that one time I didn’t - when a string snapped in the middle of a song.

I don’t play out regularly anymore, but when I do - new strings go on.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I am always removing and replacing pickups and hardware, so I go through a lotta strings. I usually loosen em up and just pull the loaded tailpiece aside, but you can't always do that. So I buy my Slinkies in 3-pack bunches.

GT40

Reaction score
I prefer fresher strings, I change them out after about 40 hours of use which is usually 3 weeks or so.

jcsk8

Reaction score
It dependes on the brand. I love fresh Ernie Balls, but others brighter as D´ Addario´s needs a break in.

JMP

Reaction score
I like fresh strings myself.

Stonehard

Reaction score
I'll sell you my old strings... or I'll swap them for a brand new set.

mdubya

Reaction score
I have 9 electric guitars in regular rotation and a tenth warming the bench. ALL of the strings are technically old. They get changed out when they are "done" though. I never change the plain strings unless they break (maybe once a year, just because). The guitars live in their cases due to space and storage limitations.

The D strings wear out the fastest. The A strings next.

I buy individual strings. 30 D strings, 20 A strings, 10 E strings at a time.

Once a year I buy 10 full sets. That gives me enough plain strings for the entire year and then some.

I play an average of one hour a day. It used to be more, but I do not currently have any additional time.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I don't change my strings as often as I did when I was gigging frequently...but no, I'm not a fan of old, dead strings. I play 90% of the time unplugged on electrics, and I like to be able to hear what I'm playing.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
For me, it’s more about how the strings feel than how they sound. I have the naturally sticky hands, or it seems that way. I don’t like when the strings get a tacky feel.

Latest Threads