New vs. old strings

redking

Reaction score
Anyone else here prefer old strings? For me, its the worst feeling playing a set of brand new strings on a Gibson scale guitar - too bright, too stiff, the bends are rough. On the other hand, I don't mind new strings on a strat or tele at all.

BDW60

Reaction score
Strings are best, to me, after four or five hours of action. How long they stay in the zone spends on many factors.

I do kinda like old dead strings on an acoustic, tho. I like the hollow, thumpy tones with the shimmer long gone.

ARandall

Reaction score
Anyone else here prefer old strings? For me, its the worst feeling playing a set of brand new strings on a Gibson scale guitar - too bright, too stiff, the bends are rough. On the other hand, I don't mind new strings on a strat or tele at all.
If the bends are rough then thats probably definitely the frets. Lets face it, the strings are as smooth as they can be.
And being new the strings are more likely to stretch then than when old.

redking

Reaction score
I prefer crisp new strings. I'm a bit miserly though and tend to wait until they don't stay in tune or the kinks on the undersides become profound. Never tried boiling old strings to revitalize them.
I used to do that when I was a broke-ass student! The toughest part is the section of string that winds back onto the post tends to kink up and break after a while.

redking

Reaction score
If the bends are rough then thats probably definitely the frets. Lets face it, the strings are as smooth as they can be.
And being new the strings are more likely to stretch then than when old.
"Rough" is probably not the best word to describe what I mean - but a new string doesn't seem to slide on the fret as well until it gets a bit of wear on it, unless it's a stainless fret, then it's slippery city from day 1.

Sinster

Reaction score
EVH preferred dirty sting. For me it depends on how "old" they are and if they feel nasty or if I feel the tone sucks.

gball

Reaction score
I like 'em to have an hour, maybe two, on them. Then they are just perfect for about 4 hours. After that it's quickly diminishing returns, and I actually usually replace them after something like 6 total hours of play time.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like 'em to have an hour, maybe two, on them. Then they are just perfect for about 4 hours. After that it's quickly diminishing returns, and I actually usually replace them after something like 6 total hours of play time.
This. Exactly for me too!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This probably says more about where i am at as a player, but last year i changed regularly say every two weeks, this year, been on a month and i am not thinking anything feels wrong about them, doing a lot more bending to boot. Say maybe there are so many variables, there is no real baseline, beyond personal taste.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
New strings for me, I love paradigms and nano webs

sonar1

Reaction score
I like new, but no matter how stretched I think I’ve worked them, there’s always a bit more.
I like them settled in. That might take some whomping.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Definitely. I started using Elixir Polywebs because to me they have a warm, broken in tone right out of the package...and they last really long
Try the Nanowebs if you haven't.
They feel less coated, more "natural".

Wrench66

Reaction score
Some just like the really bright tone from new strings. I’m not one of them. I used to loath new strings, but switched to nickel strings and they seem more mellow and last a lot longer. Still have sizzle, but not ice picks in the ear hole.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
I usually stretch my strings really good when I restring my guitar. After they are on, I play them until they feel like need changing. This can differ. Where I live, it’s hotter than the Devils tail in a firestorm so my hands sweat a bit when I play in the summer. This then increases the oxidation on the strings and makes them a bit uncomfy to play so I swap about every 3-4 weeks or so of occasional play. When the winter comes, I play the same set for about 2 months.

I had a Fender strat I built, didn’t bond with and played the same set of strings of occasional play (5-10 minutes a week to “try”
to bond with) for over a year. Never bugged me.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Some just like the really bright tone from new strings. I’m not one of them. I used to loath new strings, but switched to nickel strings and they seem more mellow and last a lot longer. Still have sizzle, but not ice picks in the ear hole.
Ernie Ball Rock n Roll pure nickels are where it's all.

Latest Threads