New Vintage Guitar Day! Rare Lefty!!!

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
I had wondered if the personalized fingerboard on this guitar was done by Gibson or later, after Jimmy already had the guitar. I think this is all the proof I need to say it was a Gibson-done job. Here's Jimmy's fingerboard:
lefty  64 es 345 aa.jpg

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
... now check out the script on Joanie Marshall's double-neck. The "J" and the "e" are a perfect match!
joanie, with gibson.jpeg

Last edited:

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Thanks all ! I auditioned the 1962 lefty ES-345 for Alex at Lefty Vntage Guitars when he was interested in buying from Rumblseat Music about ten years ago. I've wanted one for myself ever since. I assumed lefty 345's were rare, but it seems that there are but five (known) examples of left handed pre-1965 ES-345's. Two from 1960 (cherry and sunburst, both stop-tail) One from 1961, (sunburst, stop tail, inlays on the first fret) One from 1962 (sunburst, with Bigsby) and mine from 1964 (cherry with Vibrola) I love the fact that of these known examples, no two are alike.

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
I found this pic of the band backstage with Jack Bruce. You can see from what they're wearing, it's the same night.
jimmy with jack bruce.jpg

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
The last known image of Jimmy Fey playing. He owned several guitars, and this 1967 Tele was a favorite of his. He met Clarence White when they opened for The Byrds, and Jimmy wound up sending the Tele to him for installation of a Parsons-White B Bender. The whereabouts of this guitar are unknown.

Attachments

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Amazing story!

Amazing guitar!

Lefty, your stars were aligned that day bro! :dude:

I love when really cool finds happen to good people!

And the song find and dub over is just too trippy!

BTW, looks like the whole band had a Gibson ES thinline thing going on huh? :applause:

rikko

Reaction score
Super cool!!!

I'm not privy to what the 6-setting, birds beak knob does...

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Super cool!!!

I'm not privy to what the 6-setting, birds beak knob does...
Thanks! That's a Varitone, a series of filters that alter the sound. Think of the intro to The Beatles "I Feel Fine". I'm not entirely sure if George is using an ES-345 with the Varitone set on position 3, but it sounds like it.

Latest Threads