New Van Halen song "Tattoo"

Deguello

Reaction score
As a huge Van Halen fan I am on the fence right now about this one.
I dig Ed's solo but the lyrics are weak and I miss hearing Mikey's backing vocals that made that big Van Halen sound.

Im still very hopeful this new album will be good. It comes out Feb, 7 in the US

edit: I found this video, with much better audio than the first video that i posted
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfQ-hV3WtA[/ame]

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Sounds like old Van Halen.

Yeah, gotta agree about Michael Anthony. It's funny you should mention Van Halen: Today I was working and a coworker put on a whole bunch of it (1984 and 5150).

I don't know if they've ever traded on strong lyrics. And to be honest? I don't know if it's really Van Halen or it's just me. I have to admit my tastes and how a guitar should sound have changed a lot since 1983.

I dunno. I know a lot of people will probably buy this album and see the concert no matter what the rest of the album has on it....I probably won't.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot more then I thought I would...

intro is nice, I would like it more if it was a tad shorter...

I do not like the (fake) transposition (during the verse) but I like transpositions to be a bit more subtle... the bridge is very nice, new VHish with out sounding soppy or sentimental...

the out sounds very nice (all of it) but at the very end it does not sit well with the theme

for me the solo is the weakest part of the song... strange nothing wrong with it, just not dareing...

but, I really do not know much and if I could do half as good I would be amazed

Deguello

Reaction score
I wish they would cut the vocal intro and start with the music just slamming us in the face

All in all, I like the song. I really notice Mickey isn't singing backup though.. He is terribly underrated in that aspect. I agree with Sen, Dave has never been much of a lyricist so that should not surprise me.. I think it will grow on me. So far, I do like it but I was hoping to be blown away.

I will go see them if I see that Eddie remains sober enough to pull a tour off this time

Quill

Reaction score
I so miss the backing vocals, too. It's a great lesson, hearing this and missing those things - can you imagine The Misfits, for example, without all the impossibly cool backing vocals? No, you can't, and why should you. Same thing, this.

For the guitar stuff - what I miss is the amazing rhythm playing and seamless flipping between background and foreground, in and around the vocals. And always really clean, crisp and spare. The solos ... kind of exciting for that never-say-die teenager part of myself (which is a pretty small part these days, thankfully), but when I hear something off VHI or VHII, it's the fantastic rhythm playing that still totally gets me.

And where is that brilliant rhythm playing in this?

AND WHAT'S MORE they were a killer band with dynamics - they'd be just roaring away one second, then drop to a whisper inside of a heartbeat, and it didn't seem to matter what the tempo was. (Ever played in a rock band and tried to pull off changes in the dynamics, dramatic drops from loud to soft and then back up again, at really fast tempos? It's, like ... really really hard :laugh2:) Jamie's Crying comes to mind as an easy example, but all their early tunes were like that. I'm not hearin' their brilliant dynamic control, here, neither.

Anyway, it's a great lesson, listening and thinking about all this. Thanks very much - lots of really thoughtful comments.

Deguello

Reaction score
After hearing it with better audio, it is starting to grow on me

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
I can't get into it on the first listen. The lyrics are a little lame. It might grow on me though. I got my fingers crossed they get the little guy from fantasy island in the film clip.

tom1965

Reaction score
A lot better than i thought it was going to be , i actually quite like it after a few plays !!!

Tenacious T

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I'm a huge DLR era Van Halen fan.

First listen....Not that impressed. Kinda sounds like a filler tune. I'll be purchasing the CD when it's released no matter, but I hope there is some stronger material than this.

It's not bad, just not exactly what I was hoping for.

Also, is that David Lee Roth?...or Steve Martin?

Mr_Bester

Reaction score
I couldn't get through the video. I may end up liking the song when I hear it without the visuals, but I couldn't take looking at Dave acting out and not a big fan of Wolfgang trying to fill in for MA( I made it to the first chorus and then saw the tubby little guy singing)

california1967

Reaction score
On first listen it sounds pretty bland to me. Granted I'll still buy the CD because it is Van Halen, and honestly every cd has been at least decent. And since I have never seen them live, I'll be attending a concert too.

...I'll also be rocking out to chickenfoot live too!

Guitarhack

Reaction score
This was also posted on the Backstage so I'll say the same thing here that I did there. I didn't hate it and I'll probably buy it just to see how the rest of it sounds.

It was also very nice of them to let this kid be their new bass player.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU]Star Wars Kid - YouTube[/ame]

singlecut

Reaction score
recorded to cd and going in the truck
THANK YOU!

if6was9

Reaction score
It would be a lot better with Michael Anthony on back up vocals.

Humbuster

Reaction score
I have never been a big Van Halen fan, but me thinks this is a pretty damn good pop tune.

Kashmir

Reaction score
I miss Anthony too. It's amazing the lengths a father will go to in getting his son a job. Nice pop-rock tune though.

SGMM

Reaction score
Who are these old guys....I thought this was a Van Halen vid ??

Bes628

Reaction score
I think its pretty terrible.It sounds really dated somehow.

Ides of March

Reaction score
I didn't like it at all, just from the song title. Really. Tattoo. I was expecting from the greatest hits cd when dave did Me Wise Magic and the other one, can't remember the name that it would be more EVH and rock. But it seemed cheesy a bit. I'll wait for it to go on Itunes and get a sample of each song but if this is the big hit off of it, I'll just go back to my VH collection and stick to that. And you guys do realize Kool and the Gang is opening for them, at least in Philly.

And yes, it's feels empty without Anthony, he should be there regardless of what Eddie feels. Give the fans the whole package. And I also felt the guitar was kinda tame for EVH. I hope he was just holding back in this song.

Latest Threads