New tuners slightly too wide

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Hey guys I got some new(old) tuner and they’re .2mm too wide to fit in the peg head holes.
They’re the same footprint otherwise.
What is the best way of going about this? Shaving down the tuner shaft or slightly widening the holes.
@ARandall I think you might be able to help me with this since you know what a mm is.
Thanks!

ARandall

Reaction score
.2 is pretty tiny.
There are a couple of tuners that are tapered rather than being say 10mm all the way through.....I think Grover and Schaller are some that have this 'feature'.
What overall size are we talking about here for both tuner and wood.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I got some new(old) tuner and they’re .2mm too wide to fit in the peg head holes.
They’re the same footprint otherwise.
What is the best way of going about this? Shaving down the tuner shaft or slightly widening the holes.
@ARandall I think you might be able to help me with this since you know what a mm is.
Thanks!
We Yanks know what a mm is, we simply don't have much use for them.

ARandall is right, he usually is. it's likely the taper.

Stew Mac sells an affordable little reamer that will fix this up for you.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Sorry should have specified which tuners I'm using. (Silly me)

They're both Schaller, one is chrome one is black. The black one is .2mm thicker. I'm thinking the extra paint is making it not fit.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still, the peghead reamer ought to work for you:

reamer

Using a peghead reamer is the fastest, easiest way to square away this issue.

The reamer above, or another of your choice.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Still, the peghead reamer ought to work for you:

reamer

Using a peghead reamer is the fastest, easiest way to square away this issue.

The reamer above, or another of your choice.
Cool thanks Dave! Looks like that'll solve my problem.
Would be nice to try find something here so I don't have to wait a month for it. Considering it's almost Christmas!
Edit: I also need to get a T handle for it as well?

ARandall

Reaction score
There are a couple of places here.....but they charge like a wounded bull on some things:

Reamers also might be got from Total Tools or Bunnings. Its a bit more of a specialty item but who knows.....it might be stocked.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks Dave! Looks like that'll solve my problem.
Would be nice to try find something here so I don't have to wait a month for it. Considering it's almost Christmas!
Check out some of your local tool suppliers for a tapered reamer from 0 to 10mm. that ought to do you.

EDIT, Randall covered it.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Beauty! Thanks heaps guys.
Once I get it probably best to try it on a scrap a piece of wood...

Neemo

Reaction score
I need to do make holes larger for usa pots replacing import pots in an epiphone lp junior...but i was just going to carefully use a round file...not a good idea?

Roxy13

Reaction score
I did manage to get Grovers installed into an Edwards that previously had Gotoh vintage tuners using a $2.99 Harbor Freight reamer, but it wasn't fun.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
I need to do make holes larger for usa pots replacing import pots in an epiphone lp junior...but i was just going to carefully use a round file...not a good idea?
There would be a possibility of making the holes oval instead of perfectly round.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There would be a possibility of making the holes oval instead of perfectly round.
Beat me to it.

You can count on it going oval if you use a rat-tail file.

Lester

Reaction score
The Harbor Freight reamer, used with a little caution, worked fine for me reaming to fit Grovers in an Epi.

That was a substantial increase, much more than you need. I used the reamer from each side of the headstock to increase the diameter at the surface. I figured the reamer would cut more gently and avoid cracking off the finish or edges of the hole. Then I used a bradpoint drill bit (Something like this: https://www.grainger.com/product/19TH20 ) to cut the straight sides. I used the drill bit by hand, letting the side flutes do the cutting.

On the OH, at .2mm, sandpaper on a dowel by hand might be a better choice than a cutting tool. Just sort of clean the holes.

Disclaimer: Not a Luthier, more of a wood worker.

Latest Threads