New Tuners for 2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Voxman2027

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I see StewMac is having a big tuner sale and it got me wonderingly if this would be a good opportunity to upgrade the ones on my 2008 LP Standard. As you can see from photo the ones on guitar now are Grovers but I’m not sure of the quality of these opposed to what else is out there in tuner land. I’m not really having any issues with the tuners presently but since the cash is burning a hole in my pocket , I thought maybe I could upgrade.
Am I wasting my money or are the ones on guitar on the low end of the Grover line...bc I don’t know near as much about the intricacies and details that most of the members here know. So I defer to you all and your expertise.

Thanks so much!
Gary Voxman2027
DEC73FF7-8595-4C93-BDFA-F3847B8D0A7F.jpeg

fry

Reaction score
Those are probably standard Grover Rotomatic tuners, which are very good. If they aren’t giving you any problems, there’s a little reason to swap them out. I personally like locking tuners, and they do make one that would be a direct replacement with no modification. You might be interested in that, but if not, you should spend that money on something else.

ucsteve

Reaction score
just switched out the klussen style for grovers on my 02

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
You don't need ocking tuners if you know how to properly string your guitar.
So true. Unless the guitar has a vibrato bar, there's no point in replacing good tuners for a slightly faster restring with lockers.

ucsteve

Reaction score
You don't need locking tuners if you know how to properly string your guitar.
like yeah, i cant help thinking that. I bought the locking ones for my 2020, but i dont see me bothering getting that fancy again. The standard chrome tuners are more than fine

Tdurden032

Reaction score
I’ve kicked around the idea of changing my tuners as well - I love the look of the tulips and do prefer locking tuners, but the standard grovers are just fine. Would be a fun upgrade but I don’t need to throw even more money at my guitar right now - lol.

Voxman2027

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Sound advice! I wasn’t sure of the quality as I would expect Epiphone might not be using the top tier stuff....I’ve changed the pups for some Seymour’s and have been very happy with the “new” sound.
Anyway, appreciate everyone chiming in on this tuner thread.
Vixman

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with those Grovers. Same tuners Gibson uses.
The only improvement in my mind would be to upgrade to the same tuners, in locking style.

truckermde

Reaction score
I’ve kicked around the idea of changing my tuners as well - I love the look of the tulips and do prefer locking tuners, but the standard grovers are just fine. Would be a fun upgrade but I don’t need to throw even more money at my guitar right now - lol.
I use these on my Grovers to give the look I like, and retain the Grover performance...

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I was trying to find an excuse for you to spend that $$$ burning a hole in yur pocket.

But

I did a quick check on the webz, and those Grover's are 18:1.
I was hoping for a 14: so I could spin you on a higher ratio . . but no !!
Looks like you have pretty good tuners.

Perhaps you can hate on the shape, or switch gears and start looking at some Top Hat tone/volume knobs :rofl:

Perhaps a new tusq nut

ucsteve

Reaction score
not a fan of bad teeth tuners...
one more guitar is gettin that switched soon

Latest Threads