New TOOL Review!!

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
Yeah I thought Lateralus was awesome from the first time I played it. 10,000 Days had a few good songs and grew on me over time. Maybe Fear Inoculum will as well. I definitely was digging the instrumental stuff. I listened to the entire album in one sitting through headphones and had it cranked. Adam Jones really kicked ass on this album. So I can't say I'm disappointed.
It's one that will take digesting for sure. There is a lot going on that you may not notice the first few times you listen, or if you are doing something else while listening. This album seems to require full attention. I dunno about you, but I rarely have 90 minutes where I can give ANYTHING my undivided attention.

DotStudio

Reaction score
It's one that will take digesting for sure. There is a lot going on that you may not notice the first few times you listen, or if you are doing something else while listening. This album seems to require full attention. I dunno about you, but I rarely have 90 minutes where I can give ANYTHING my undivided attention.
There's definitely some of that going on, I just don't have the patience anymore. That being said, if someone is playing the same three notes on a guitar while another guy ting tings on a bell for three minutes straight, multiple listenings offer little improvement.

Ghostman

Reaction score
I'm more pleased with the fact I don't have to listen to complainers about the next album release or the 1 million online articles about the anticipated release from Tool.

Ed B

Reaction score
I'm not a tool fan-boy. I do like them quite a bit, and have listened to their old albums many times over and always enjoyed them. This new one comes off as very boring to me. I've listened to Maynard on some podcasts and he flat out says that the band writes and arranges the entire album and then he comes in and adds lyrics over top of the finished product. It sounded like a poor way to write an album when I heard that, and it really does have a lack of band feel to me that is pretty disappointing.

I don't know if that's the way they've always wrote, but to me the album is pretty underwhelming.
This is the initial process. Then they get together to hash out the ideas. Re-hash. Then Adam adds texture and layers. Then they fight over ideas and it continues. Haha. At least that’s how I understood it from interviews.

Maynard’s mentioned how tough it’s been to get everyone together in recent years. With families and other projects.

I dig the new album more every time I listen to it. I can see how it can be underwhelming and how people don’t want to have to do that.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
It seems a lot like Lateralus. I remember needing that one to grow on me as well.
I bought lateralus in the summer of 2001 and at first fund it tobe a bit overwhelming but not dull. Have not heard this one but dull and boring are the words that keep popping up doesnt make me jump to listen to it.

elephantrider

Reaction score
it's ho hum to me so far. same comment from some of you on that i haven't been able to really
sit down and listen to it. initial impression is too much filler. having said that, there are some
really interesting arrangements. a few songs are growing on me as i can get listens in. less vocals,
however, i do like the instrument-y vibe. opinion may change over the next few months.

matthew bear

Reaction score
It's been hard to get into it, but I haven't had the time or setting to actually listen actively.

Aenima is my favorite tool album, refined but still has some passion in it...

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The first EP and two albums are excellent.

After that it gets pretty "artsy", and i switched to A Perfect Circle.

APC is still weird and has a cool sound but none of the navel gazing

NRBQ

Reaction score
With a title like that I never know if you're talking about the band or a new screwdriver or something like that, guess it doesn't really matter cause I'm not really interested in either. Guess that makes me a tool, oh well that's life.

Latest Threads