New Tokai HLS day

jim777

Reaction score
So, arrived today :) I've emailed Hibiki a few times with pics and the serial # but haven't heard back from them, so I have the card stating it's an "HLS-LW" and that's it :) Bigger neck than my buddy's G0, but I haven't A/B'd them yet. I will say that G0 is a mighty guitar though, I'd probably have gotten one if I had the cash.

This is it:

And with some other Japanese friends :)

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
So what does the LW stand for in the HLS-LW ?? Or is that something you are also looking for info on ?

jim777

Reaction score
It is 8 pounds on the nose, average I guess, not sure if that is average for a Les Paul though. I sold my last Les Paul in '79 when I switched to Ibanez Artists :)

Roxy13

Reaction score
That is light in my book!

My lightest one is the 57-60 and it was 9lb 1oz on the post office scale. Everything else is around 10lb. I haven't weighed the Tokai though, but I would put it at 9.5lb.

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is 8 pounds on the nose, average I guess, not sure if that is average for a Les Paul though. I sold my last Les Paul in '79 when I switched to Ibanez Artists :)
That is a perfect weight. So is it possible that the LW = Light weight? ;) Sorry if I am derailing this NGD thread but I wonder about the script, "Reborn" is this what the original ones from 79 or 80 vintage looked like? I know they only produced for a year or so until Love Rock became the name..

jim777

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the 79-81 script but you can get that script from a small batch Hibiki. My impression from Ishibashi (who have graciously taken on the task of finding out from Hibiki for me) is that it is likely from a run of maybe 10-20 guitars. It has a madagascar board like all the HLS guitars but it does have a 2 piece back which I found kind of disappointing. I also thought the LW might mean "light weight" but wasn't certain that would have translated from the Japanese. The warranty card does say "HLS-LW" though, no hint of numbers. It's also a solid top 2 piece top, not a thin laminate on top of other maple. It plays very well, sounds great and sooo different from all my teles and superstrats. Very percussive actually, it's a fun one to play :)

jim777

Reaction score
Half of me wants to leave it as is, and half of me wants to put covers on the pickups and put the pickguard on it. I'll probably leave as is and if I get another Tokai LS/HLS I'll go the pickguard/covers route with that one.

Last edited:

jim777

Reaction score
That one isn't mine, serial # is different and the coloring a is a bit different. I have to assume it was a '15 batch as this one and mine are both from '15. Part of that page translates to "Limited to 3 rare models" which likely means they had three different batches of the "Reborn Old" badged guitars in '15. It's tough finding out anything about it, but this was great, thanks :)
EDIT: I tell you what though, THIS one is my guitar! lol

Last edited:

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL. that is too typical, I had a few guitars in my possession that were on eBay long after I bought them from actual stores. Did you get it from Ishibashi? Those photos look like they are from the Ishibashii store in Osaka.

jim777

Reaction score
Yeah, I got it from Ishibashi. It was a lot cheaper (like $400) through them directly than through their Reverb shop.

jim777

Reaction score
Ok, confirmed from Tokai via Ishibashi (in case anyone ever searches on one of these here):

*HLS-LW*
Made by Selected Light Weight wood.
"Re-born old" logo

Body : Flamed Maple +Maple Top / Mahogany Two Pieces Back
Neck : Mahogany One Piece
Neck Joint : Deep Joint
Finger Board : Madagascar Rosewood
PU : The Fifty Nine ( Made in Japan ) x 2
Bridge : LS-VB Bridge / LS-VT Tailpiece
Finish : thin lacuer
Neck angle : 3.8 degree
Head angle : 17 degree
Nut : Delrin
Adjust Rod Cover :Original

Last edited:

jim777

Reaction score
so its a veneer top?
I haven't pulled the pickups but I hope not! lol IT does sounds an play great though, so if it does have a veneer I'll probably get over it. Ishibashi had told me it was based off the HLS-240SF, but the 2 piece back kind of puts the lie to that. When I know I'll come back and update the thread though so the info is here.

villager

Reaction score
normally when it says flamed maple and maple top it means veneer.. nothing wrong with that ... but solid tops are at a premium these days..

brobar

Reaction score
Congrats!

Love my recently acquired Reborn Old (LS196). I always wondered where the HLS fell in line with the LS. Mine is a 1-piece solid back with a two-piece solid maple plain-top. Such a nice guitar. I was on the search for the perfect Tokai and it was quite a long search for me (about 2 years). Not that the ones I stumbled upon during that 2 years weren't great... they were fantastic... but this is the one that really spoke to me and I just couldn't not buy it.

Latest Threads