New to the forum

HeadShrinker

Reaction score
Signed up a few weeks back, this is my first thread. Decided to post after some arm twisting by @DarrellV , didn’t take much twisting.

A little about me, I picked up a cheap classical guitar around 20 years ago as I was leaving my teens, after a few months a picked up a cheap Epiphone PR 200NS acoustic. This has been my only guitar until I decided to go electric back in February, a present for a big birthday. There was only one choice, so I thought, Epiphone Les Paul, little did I know about all the different models.

After a little research I decided to pull the plug on a 2019 standard, reduced to £300 ($380) at my local guitar store. The closest match to my limited knowledge for the inspired by Gibson range is the classic worn £400 at the time, now reduced to £349. I wasn’t to keen on the worn finish.

Absolutely love this guitar, had to relieve a little tension on the neck and fix the intonation (never knew this was a thing). The fingerboard feels great, no sharp fret edges. It has what I call a beauty spot under the pick guard, makes the guitar unique.

There is a little finish bleed into the binding on the body, around the neck but the fingerboard binding is spot on. A crack has recently appeared in the output plate, I’d appreciate an upgrade suggestion, and I’m also toying with replacing the pick ups. I like to play a range of music.

Anyways sorry to bore you, enjoy the pics,

B252D5FF-3100-4DDC-B322-759ADE7B1304.jpeg

0C024C10-51A6-4155-ADD7-AC7051AD1C5D.jpeg
796A5EB0-A0B3-443D-968B-720A18354248.jpeg
FBC5AA65-0F13-4B24-A208-EB4F133809A4.jpeg
8668700A-AE9A-4FBF-AC64-D06C589279ED.jpeg
E0A432C9-C3AE-43B2-8E1A-9D89320B34B1.jpeg
07FF6774-58D1-4BB7-A522-33687064F9E0.jpeg
9D49E347-A879-4F3A-A089-DA748AFECAC2.jpeg
9BCB2654-B3B0-47BC-A9B7-78B63DB4E14B.jpeg
0C0E6CAE-CFD4-469A-90FB-3AAAF1207A3C.jpeg
412B435B-9349-4460-8872-EDE64E7771F1.jpeg
5D6F0F73-9F14-4613-BFF6-C4F20C7B617B.jpeg
99D94355-433E-43D8-8D3F-C6F9B3DACEA9.jpeg
D32ECCEF-B2CF-4461-8A19-92B0EFD1DF65.jpeg
4A77CC69-58D0-4BE0-978F-B716608FEDEE.png

DarrellV

Proud Member of the Golden Switch Tip Club
Premium Member
Reaction score
Signed up a few weeks back, this is my first thread. Decided to post after some arm twisting by @DarrellV , didn’t take much twisting.

A little about me, I picked up a cheap classical guitar around 20 years ago as I was leaving my teens, after a few months a picked up a cheap Epiphone PR 200NS acoustic. This has been my only guitar until I decided to go electric back in February, a present for a big birthday. There was only one choice, so I thought, Epiphone Les Paul, little did I know about all the different models.

After a little research I decided to pull the plug on a 2019 standard, reduced to £300 ($380) at my local guitar store. The closest match to my limited knowledge for the inspired by Gibson range is the classic worn £400 at the time, now reduced to £349. I wasn’t to keen on the worn finish.

Absolutely love this guitar, had to relieve a little tension on the neck and fix the intonation (never knew this was a thing). The fingerboard feels great, no sharp fret edges. It has what I call a beauty spot under the pick guard, makes the guitar unique.

There is a little finish bleed into the binding on the body, around the neck but the fingerboard binding is spot on. A crack has recently appeared in the output plate, I’d appreciate an upgrade suggestion, and I’m also toying with replacing the pick ups. I like to play a range of music.

View attachment 474394

View attachment 474396View attachment 474397View attachment 474398View attachment 474399View attachment 474400View attachment 474401View attachment 474402View attachment 474403View attachment 474404View attachment 474405View attachment 474406View attachment 474407View attachment 474408View attachment 474410
:applause::dude:

Yeah! Feed the Bears!

Way to knock it out of the park!

The jackplate crack is pretty common, it happened to my 2019 Gibby Studio too.

Look by the top screws, both are cracked.

I'm going metal like my 82 LP. Hard to bust or crack that.

HeadShrinker

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, the stock strings didn’t last long, replaced them with EB 9-42, not too keen on the thin strings, next set will be 10s to see how I go.

I also play through a Fender Mustang GT40. Perfect for me who has no knowledge of failing in tones or using pedals. Hoping to learn more.

HeadShrinker

Reaction score
:applause::dude:

Yeah! Feed the Bears!

Way to knock it out of the park!

The jackplate crack is pretty common, it happened to my 2019 Gibby Studio too.

Look by the top screws, both are cracked.

I'm going metal like my 82 LP. Hard to bust or crack that.
Thanks for the arm twisting, and advice on jack plate, I saw somewhere it was common, metal is the way to go then.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the arm twisting, and advice on jack plate, I saw somewhere it was common, metal is the way to go then.
Agreed, for me it doesn't make sense to keep them plastic.

I get it that it's cheaper to make them with plastic, but given the constant use it gets every time you plug and unplug, let alone if you hit the jack plug while you are using it, it makes sense to go metal.

Plus you get a tiny extra amount of noise shielding...:dude:

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, the stock strings didn’t last long, replaced them with EB 9-42, not too keen on the thin strings, next set will be 10s to see how I go.
Depending on your ear you may find that 10's work better on the Gibson scale length.

You already got introduced to intonating your guitar. That's good knowledge right there.

You may find that 10's will intonate better on that than 9's. Just physics...

Hang around here long enough and you'll likely find out about stuff you never even knew was a thing! :eek2:

:laugh2:

HeadShrinker

Reaction score
Depending on your ear you may find that 10's work better on the Gibson scale length.

You already got introduced to intonating your guitar. That's good knowledge right there.

You may find that 10's will intonate better on that than 9's. Just physics...

Hang around here long enough and you'll likely find out about stuff you never even knew was a thing! :eek2:

:laugh2:
My ears aren’t the greatest unfortunately, comes with living with 3 women:rofl:.

Its more the feel of them I’m not keen on, I’m just glad my fingertips aren’t turning a different colour.

I’m hoping to pick up plenty stuff, seems like a great bunch around here with vast amount of knowledge.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
My ears aren’t the greatest unfortunately, comes with living with 3 women:rofl:.
:lol: Oh man! Are you ever gonna fit in here!

When you get brave venture over to the Backstage where we shoot the bull on topics like this and lots more! :laugh2:

I’m hoping to pick up plenty stuff, seems like a great bunch around here with vast amount of knowledge.
On a serious note these guys are some of the most knowledgeable folks on the interwebz.

All in one spot.

And we all strive to be honest and truthful with our info too, which is really nice.

Not just a bunch of talking heads on the internet trying to be cool or something.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Jack plates usually crack around screws because of too much pressure. Next thing you know, the wood is chewed up and screws won't hold. I NEVER go further than where the screw finds a little resistance. All my plastic jack plates are still intact, some more than 15 years old.

As for replacing pickups, before you do that, go for the easiest, cheapest and most effective mod you can make on an electric guitar. All you need is a screwdriver. Adjust their height. If you don't know where to start, I can guide you. You can invest lots of money for not much improvement in the pickup world. A good amp will get 200% more effect on your tone than any pickup.

HeadShrinker

Reaction score
Jack plates usually crack around screws because of too much pressure. Next thing you know, the wood is chewed up and screws won't hold. I NEVER go further than where the screw finds a little resistance. All my plastic jack plates are still intact, some more than 15 years old.

As for replacing pickups, before you do that, go for the easiest, cheapest and most effective mod you can make on an electric guitar. All you need is a screwdriver. Adjust their height. If you don't know where to start, I can guide you. You can invest lots of money for not much improvement in the pickup world. A good amp will get 200% more effect on your tone than any pickup.
I haven’t touched the jack plate, I might relieve some of the tension on the screws and see how it goes. Could be made like that.

I think I might get my screwdriver out and see how it goes, trial and error. Watch this space I’ll be asking where I’ve went wrong.

Some solid advice thanks.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I haven’t touched the jack plate, I might relieve some of the tension on the screws and see how it goes. Could be made like that.

I think I might get my screwdriver out and see how it goes, trial and error. Watch this space I’ll be asking where I’ve went wrong.

Some solid advice thanks.
Here's how I do it for humbuckers. The neck pup often ends up pretty low.

I set the bridge pickup (pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from the bottom of the unfretted strings (1/8" or ±3cm). If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? Go ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it (counter clockwise for humbucker, clockwise for P90). Test clean AND with dirt. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck pup.

Any neck pickup will sound boomy if adjusted too high.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have the neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky tone. You'll know what I mean when you get there. So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now I lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, the neck pup is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the two pup.

That is a fun thing to do. Take your time and you will find the sweet spot for each pickup.

HeadShrinker

Reaction score
Here's how I do it for humbuckers. The neck pup often ends up pretty low.

I set the bridge pickup (pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from the bottom of the unfretted strings (1/8" or ±3cm). If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? Go ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it (counter clockwise for humbucker, clockwise for P90). Test clean AND with dirt. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck pup.

Any neck pickup will sound boomy if adjusted too high.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have the neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky tone. You'll know what I mean when you get there. So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now I lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, the neck pup is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the two pup.

That is a fun thing to do. Take your time and you will find the sweet spot for each pickup.
Thanks a lot for this, does sound like fun. Will get to it once the wife goes out, only problem is, she’ll have the credit cards with her:rofl:

lpfan1980

Reaction score

View attachment 474394

View attachment 474396View attachment 474397View attachment 474398View attachment 474399View attachment 474400View attachment 474401View attachment 474402View attachment 474403View attachment 474404View attachment 474405View attachment 474406View attachment 474407View attachment 474408View attachment 474410
Beautiful Burst :welcome: to MYLESPAUL.COM Just got my Standard Epi re- set up-its nice

HeadShrinker

Reaction score
Beautiful Burst :welcome: to MYLESPAUL.COM Just got my Standard Epi re- set up-its nice
Thank you, I’m so happy with this guitar, I’ve had it less than 6 months but feel like it’s been a part of me for much longer.

When I was doing my research, the picture shown on the guitar shops website had a rim burst, probably a generic picture, where as the one I bought has a teardrop burst.

Out of all the options in my budget, this one stood out, personally I love the finish.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I'd suggest getting a metal jack plate. Chrome would look super. Just a matter of time before the one you have breaks.

The plastic one on my Lester broke quickly way back in the 70s. I got an black anodized aluminium plate to replace it. Problem solved.

Latest Threads