New to the community

amarc89

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my name is Anthony and I'm a college student who has gotten into playing guitar fairly recently (coming up on half a year soon).

I first found this forum doing all kinds of research on my first guitar I ever bought and still have, which is a MIM strat. This forum was extremely helpful in many ways and I've been meaning to join the forum for awhile, but without a Les Paul of my own, I figured I'd be a little out of place.

But now that's all changed and I'm pretty excited about it. About a week ago, I was able to find a 1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard for a price that at the time seemed to be too insane to be true. I traveled pretty far to check it out and everything turned out to be in pretty damn acceptable shape.

I'd like to attach some pictures and get the opinions of the members of this forum, who all seem to be pretty objective and have a great deal of knowledge.

Here's what I do and do not know about it:
- It's not completely original. The largest change by far is the wood grain refinish. The guitar was refinished at some point and the guy who had it didn't know what color it originally was (I believe this instrument was passed down through family). The bridge pickup is also unoriginal (and I don't know what it is) and so are the machine heads (which appear to be Schallers from what I've seen on the internet).
- There was crackling when I first plugged it in, but it has seemed to wane over time. Maybe just because someone let it collect a lot of dust over the years?
- There are a whole bunch of minor cosmetic damages, like some chips and cracks in the refinish. No structural damage from what I can tell, though.

These pictures are from the seller. I don't have a camera with me up here, but a friend is going to take some for me, so I may have some of my own soon.

Any and all input would be completely appreciated. Hope to hear from you all soon,

- Anthony

Attachments

• lp1.jpg
    lp1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 47
  • lp2.JPG
    lp2.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 44
  • lp4.JPG
    lp4.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 44
  • lp5.JPG
    lp5.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 36
  • lp7.JPG
    lp7.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 36

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Interesting guitar. Here's what the serial number says:

Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
December 7th, 1978
Production Number: 152

I don't think the tuners are original; neither is the bridge pickup. Strange tailpiece; might be after-market as well.

If you pull the pickups you might see the original finish in there.

The headstock looks like it's been shaved down to 50's specs, maybe.

Still, if the price was right and it plays well then you did well. You might need to make a few upgrades to get ti where you want it.

Again--welcome!

BB

Huey

Reaction score
that's an old guitar, but then again im 16, congrats:D

LongBeach

Reaction score
Looks like a good deal to me.
Congrats! and like B said, pull the neck pup, it should
have the original finish "abbreviated" in the cavity.
If it really matters to you.

Huey

Reaction score
looks like a good deal to me.
Congrats! And like b said, pull the neck pup, it should
have the original finish "abbreviated" in the cavity.
If it really matters to you.

+1

jo07

Reaction score
welcome! nice guitar, get the real parts and she will be a killer

amarc89

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a good point about seeing the original finish in the cavity. I didn't think of that, although I do plan on doing some electrical work on it at some point. I'm broke at the moment, but I'm dying to replace the pickups.

This is entirely a players guitar to me, and I want to get a really nice, clean mellow tone out of it. I'm kind of green when it comes to knowing the various tonal qualities of different pickups, so maybe someone who has a similiar style has some comments on their favorite brands?

For what the guitar is, I think the price was definitely right. I spent $600 bucks and I love this thing. The refinish is unique, but I've also given some thought to refinishing it AGAIN when I have the money. Is that a bad idea? My fantasy is to have it refinished in black and change the binding to a creme color.

Thanks again for all the input. I plan on being around here quite a bit and I'm already feeling pretty welcomed.

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
You got a great deal, even if the guitar was completely stripped of parts you'd have a great guitar to build on. :thumb:

If it was mine...:hmm:

- Kidney Bean Tuners
- RS Guitarworks Electronics
- WB VTP Pickups with raw nickel covers (for a "mellower" sound as you described)
- Refin by Roman Rist (Master Luthier on this forum)

As far as pickups--check out the MLP Charity raffle...some awesome pickups are up for grabs! :dude:

Sweet guitar! I have a '76 Custom, and love it.

BB

amarc89

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm dying to pour some money into this thing. After a little bit of reading, I think I'd like to check out the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90s, but I feel like there's a whole world of pickups I'm missing out on, judging by the things I've read on here. I have a fair amount of experience soldering, but I don't know if I trust myself to start melting things around this new axe of mine. I may have to experiment on the strat first :naughty:

Roman's work is really impressive, too. The wood grain is growing on me, but that quilt top refinish sure is tempting. Talk about unique.

I definitely agree with replacing the machine heads at some point, too. The vintage Schaller's have an interesting look to them, but they're pretty wide, so I find myself accidently detuning it on occasion by brushing up against things.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Welcome.
From the pics, the guitar looks pretty cool, with tons of "mojo". When you get more pics, I'd love to see a shot of the whole thing (do you have a larger version of the one in your avatar?).

amarc89

Reaction score
Not yet, but I'm working on it. Gonna try and get a few shots of it this weekend, hopefully.

Latest Threads