New to RI’s. What’s the deal with Carmelita?

KBMelb

Reaction score
Oddly, the descriptions here of the Carmalita sounds exactly like the carve of my late, late '19 B7 (built Jan '20 with '19 serial#).

It's thiner than my TH with nearly no shoulders. Definitely not the the "Chunky C" they market at all. It's glorious.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there's anyone here that can tell the difference between.890" & .900" you may have other superpowers as well !

All I know is they are out there. And they message me about every guitar I've ever listed for sale. Another superpower they possess is the ability to feel the difference between 8.6 lbs and 8.7 lbs.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is they are out there. And they message me about every guitar I've ever listed for sale. Another superpower they possess is the ability to feel the difference between 8.6 lbs and 8.7 lbs.

lol

but its important (neck size) and I can tell a few thousands.... at least 10...

Weight is a unicorn....pot o gold....

I have two right now that are 8lbs 4 oz and one thats nearly 9 lbs

and yes playing the 9 lbs all evening gets taxing on my back. So if I can save 12 oz that might be two more songs... or one less motrin ....

same goes for a neck, if it’s difficult to play its not worth it. I know what measures are for me and what to keep clear of...

Sct13

Reaction score
It still isn’t “right” the fretboards are still wrong, and the nitro isn’t formulated the same as it was in the 50’s ... and will most likely never be.

but looking through the specs it looks like the made a good go at it.

Basauri

Reaction score
I’ve heard that next year the R9 will be even closer to the ‘59.
IMO, until 2059 Gibson won’t release a correct model. Then, it will be a true ‘59

Reactions: HJR

Sct13

Reaction score
Gotta love the marketing...

Jared Purdy

Reaction score
It still isn’t “right” the fretboards are still wrong, and the nitro isn’t formulated the same as it was in the 50’s ... and will most likely never be.

What's off with the fret boards?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Great thread here! YES, we use the Carmelita neck profile on most every CME spec LP that we build. The best way to describe it to folks is that it is very similar to a 59 just a TOUCH thinner. We love the shoulders of this neck profile as it feels vintage to us. One very granular note regarding this neck is that it is rolled differently than almost every other 59 neck, which again, we prefer. Regarding the Colletti neck profile, we love that one too and use it on our CME 68 Custom. Its got a slight V, and again, killer shoulders. If you all ever have questions you are welcome to email me anytime! Great topic here!

-David A

[email protected]

Reaction score
I’m a current 2019 Traditional and 50’s Standard owner and I’ve decided to start seriously researching an RI. I ran across the “Carmelita” moniker in Chicago Music Exchange.

I’ve looked into it a bit but am not getting too far. What’s the average measurement of a Carmelita neck profile and how does it compare to a current Gibson USA 50’s Standard? Or even a later Traditional? My Standard feels fairly rounded (it’s extremely comfortable) and measures .088 at the 1st fret and 1.00 at the 12th. My Traditional is more tapered and seems slightly flatter early on, coming in at .082-.083 at the 1st fret through .097 at the 12th fret.

Any info is much appreciated!

Hi! This thread you started is so cool! First off, I'm David A at CME. I handpick most of the woods we use on our LPs and am very involved in the building of our CME Spec LP's. Carmelita necks generally run .88 at the 1st and .97 at the 12th but being hand-sanded can, of course, vary slightly, but for the most part you're in this ballpark. There are substantial differences between this neck and USA, the most being the fact that the neck is rolled, hand-sanded, and based obviously on an actual Burst. What I tell folks is that this is the closest you'll come to vintage outside of spending 250K and up:) You are more than welcome to hit me up directly if you need help on any of our LP's or have questions in general! -David [email protected]

Reaction score
So I understand, he asks specific measurement, quantifiable documented difference and you add salesmenship and just what Gibson would say.

I am curious as well, because just like Abby hand wound pickups from Fender much is made of this one burst and how they are trying to replicate it. That is terrific but if the specs on that burst and I do not get along what options do I have. Can I ask for the Brock burst neck, perhaps the Dwane Allman neck. All of which is great but what is the specific difference that makes the Carmalita neck so wonderful. Is it shaped like a bowling pin thin then thick then thin again, This info seems difficult to find.

R

PS not trying to be a dick I really want to know.

Hey my dude! Did you see my response to this thread? I'm a bit late to this but did chime in. I know sourcing this info can be difficult so if you have ANY questions whatsoever about Custom, hit me up! -David A [email protected]

Reaction score
Carmelita aka the Claw is an original burst that they made into another CC. They then took the scans of the real Carmelita and seem to be using it as a benchmark now for a great 59 neck profile.

I've owned 2 of the Carmelita CC's. There isn't anything special about that run of guitars. They are just a nice aged LP. The colors varied quite a bit on them too, the later in the series are more more of a cherry faded sunburst. The earlier ones were closer to a teaburst.

Thats about it!

Hi! If it is a CME LP you got or played the pickups are also potted underwound custom buckers with handpicked woods, and of course, the Carmelita neck:) -David A

oldflame

Reaction score

The biggest bugbear for me with all the R range was the neck shape, the thickness of the neck binding, and the top carve. Had a lot of R's built between '98 and '04. They were all suffering from the same 3 points. They are better now for sure but not spot on. My replica is though :thumb:

Sct13

Reaction score
Well yes , this becomes an issue for those that played and are familiar with actual bursts. Those that are not ,for the most part, would never notice. They find out later..... after they have played or owned a few historics, if they are even paying attention.

I have a 2019 and the binding is defiantly different on the neck. Its just a run o the mill R8 but it reminds me a lot of the Historic Makeovers I had. This R8 has a neck of .910 and 1.010 which is spot on for my hand....any smaller than .900 I start having issues with accuracy and hand getting tired faster.....I suffer from fat finger fret.....

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasnt there femeldahide,in the hide glue in the 1950”s?

Latest Threads