New to me 57 Custom Reissue

wjlim22

Reaction score
I just got this 2019 57 Custom a few days ago. I have experienced many eras of Gibson Customs but had not tried a reissue Custom yet. It's a very interesting guitar. The neck feels like a 59 neck to me and the sound is very versatile. It's one of the most versatile LPs I've ever had (excluding the ones with the push pull pots).

One question I had for the experts is about the fret wire. I noticed that the fret wire is pretty small compared to regular Customs. Does anyone know if this is done purposely for historical accuracy?

Anyhow, I'm having a ton of fun playing this one. Definitely in the honeymoon period with it right now. Here are a few pics:

20210913_143804.jpg
20210913_143827.jpg
20210913_143907.jpg
20210913_143845.jpg

Last edited:

L00uie

Reaction score
Customs were originally “fretless wonders”. I think that didn’t change until the late 70s. Although historically accurate, I didn’t think that the historic customs were made as fretless wonders? Specs online for fret wire are the same as an R9.

shark

Reaction score
:applause:how much does it weigh in?

An Historic Reissue, a solid one-piece mahogany body, no maple cap like modern Customs. One-piece mahogany neck, an alleged chunky ‘57 neck profile, holly veneer headstock, ebony fingerboard, long neck tenon and ABR-1 bridge. Mother of Pearl inlays. This is why they rock the casbah :)

me is lookin at a 57 Wildwood spec custom just need more money to look at it more closely :facepalm:

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
Very nice, congrats! Bought a triple pickup BB a few months ago, killer Guitars.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Customs were originally “fretless wonders”. I think that didn’t change until the late 70s. Although historically accurate, I didn’t think that the historic customs were made as fretless wonders? Specs online for fret wire are the same as an R9.
These frets are pretty small to me. I'm just comparing to normal Customs which are the medium jumbo I think.

wjlim22

Reaction score
:applause:how much does it weigh in?

An Historic Reissue, a solid one-piece mahogany body, no maple cap like modern Customs. One-piece mahogany neck, an alleged chunky ‘57 neck profile, holly veneer headstock, ebony fingerboard, long neck tenon and ABR-1 bridge. Mother of Pearl inlays. This is why they rock the casbah :)

me is lookin at a 57 Wildwood spec custom just need more money to look at it more closely :facepalm:
This one is very light at 8 lbs 8.2 ounces.

Hope you get your Wildwood soon.

wjlim22

Reaction score
So I just put the neck right next to a regular Custom and can definitely see that the frets on the 57 are lower. I made sure to compare frets that have no wear at all on both guitars. I asked a friend who has a 2021 57 RI custom and he said his are also smaller but not fretless wonder small.

Overture

Reaction score
Current spec is "historic medium jumbo" which I believe is about .036 high by .1xx wide...basically its a low wide fret. I wouldn't call that equal to a fretless wonder but it is definitely low.

EDIT: Not sure what the "Historic" means tagged onto medium jumbo. Anyone?

Last edited:

wjlim22

Reaction score
Current spec is "historic medium jumbo" which I believe is about .036 high by .1xx wide...basically its a low wide fret. I wouldn't call that equal to a fretless wonder but it is definitely low.
Great info. That's exactly what I was looking to know. Where did you find that?

shark

Reaction score
8lbs .2 ozs? a smugglers LP. got to be enough room to stash a kilo in there somewhere :)

Overture

Reaction score
Great info. That's exactly what I was looking to know. Where did you find that?

Mostly google searches....036x.106 is what is considered "medium jumbo". Medium being the height and jumbo being the width. It's also the same fret wire that was on my 2016 R8, before they switched to the era correct "narrow/tall" that's on the 58 now. I just had my R8 re-fretted with .047x.095 stainless steel wire, because the .036 just wasn't high enough for me.

fretout

Reaction score
Congrats man! What year is your 57RI from? 2008? It looks like it had some features from the early 2000s run. I own a handful of Les Pauls from that era, and while they pre-date the “True Historic” runs, Gibson made some really nice reissues back then.

shark

Reaction score
I also see yours is spotless well polished up.. you been working hard already :)

I love black guitars but they way they pick up fingerprints and scuffs just sets my OCD off and I become Monk like.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Congrats man! What year is your 57RI from? 2008? It looks like it had some features from the early 2000s run. I own a handful of Les Pauls from that era, and while they pre-date the “True Historic” runs, Gibson made some really nice reissues back then.
edit: Actually this is a late 2019 version. The serial number is 2019 and the paperwork is 2020. What features do you see from the 2000s?

Last edited:

Latest Threads