New To Me 2001 R7..1st Reissue

JMP

Reaction score
Absolutely, did you buy it from the origional owner? Id like to know about the Double rings, thats funny though, My SG Standard is sold as a Vintage reissue, not pertaining to a specific year.However it has the small Pickguard as well as the maestro Vibrola, witch spec’s it around 1963, thingbis though, they used single ring klusons on it...i should have double rings and you single..we should swap, Lol..JK
Wasn’t the original owner. I like the double ring Klusons….they’re .a little different.

JMP

Reaction score
This is my first experience with a historic/ reissue. It has a big, loud, clear, ringing timbre- much different (better) than my Traditional. And the neck is super stable. I like!

kungpow!

Reaction score
Classic. I bet it sounds like a cannon.

Particularly at that price, I think I'd rather have this than anything coming out of the custom shop right now.

JMP

Reaction score
Classic. I bet it sounds like a cannon.

Particularly at that price, I think I'd rather have this than anything coming out of the custom shop right now.
It does sound amazing. It’s a good bit brighter, louder, and more resonant when compared to my 2016 Traditional (which is a great guitar). I like a Les Paul with a bright tone and this delivers. I had the house to myself all afternoon and couldn’t stop playing the R7 (through a loud tube amp)….it’s good!

JMP

Reaction score
The 2001 R7 and my 2016 Traditional both have the stock 57 Classic pickups. But, the guitars sound very different. I understand that in general, tone is largely the sum of the instrument’s parts. But, is there a difference between older and newer 57 Classic pickups? I’m just curious. The older versions in the R7 are much brighter and clearer.

JMP

Reaction score
Anyone else have a R7 from this (approximate) period? What’s your experience and feedback?

Injector

Reaction score
Nice geet.
What year did Gibson CS start raising the position of the Les Paul signature on the headstock? I see here that it's in the lower more aesthetically pleasing location in 2010.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
great guitar! i just got one this spring myself 2001 r7 ..pups were changed on mine to florence voodoos other wise same thing , case , coa.. nice shape ,neck not too big for me [most r7s are ] more like my '13 r9. now the lp collection is pretty complete for me.yours looks great.enjoy!

Reactions: JMP

JMP

Reaction score
great guitar! i just got one this spring myself 2001 r7 ..pups were changed on mine to florence voodoos other wise same thing , case , coa.. nice shape ,neck not too big for me [most r7s are ] more like my '13 r9. now the lp collection is pretty complete for me.yours looks great.enjoy!
Nice score Jim. I’m really enjoying mine. It’s a killer instrument and does amazing things when plugged into a Deluxe Reverb. What’s NOT to like!

shark

Reaction score
and its a binary 10 :)

love the fat chunky necks, lots of room to wiggle the strings above the 12th fret

grats!!!

Jim Klein

Reaction score
mine doesn't have the real fat neck that most r7s have .very comfortable and plays fast and easy for me. sounds great thru any amp I have , '65 tremolux, 63 tremolux, my victory head on the z cab , was playing it last night thru the old 5 watt silvertone heaven..might end up being my number one lp. love the florence pups. gig this tuesday so that will be the test ride.. fun!! enjoy your new toy !pics look great. like a twin to the one I have. cool stuff ..

AcVox

Reaction score
Its thought by some that Paul Reed Smiths conviction that the neck drives the primary tone of a guitar, lead him to experiment and ultimately introduce heavy solid Rosewood necks on to light weight Mahogany/Maple bodies to help illustrate and demonstrate his point.

Your R7 like some of the celebrity owned Les Paul's featured in BOTB,(beauty of the Burst) has a darker, heavier and more dense neck characterised by its darker hue when compared with the body.

I bought my own 2004 R7 based, in part on this very principal. It is brighter more responsive than any other Les Paul I own and conforms exactly with your own description of your 2001 R7.

The most dramatic example of this is the Les Paul known as "Spot". A '59 Les Paul used extensively by Joe Bonamasser. The contrast between the neck and body is more distinctive than any other example I can think of.

There are more, Jeff Becks old' burst is another example, others are more subtle and others have equal neck/body colour tone. However.. no famous burst has a neck significantly lighter in hue than the body. Gibson's artisans knew exactly what they were doing, and Paul Reed Smith picked up on it and ran with it.

Last edited:

JMP

Reaction score
Its thought by some that Paul Reed Smiths conviction that the neck drives the primary tone of a guitar, lead him to experiment and ultimately introduce heavy solid Rosewood necks on to light weight Mahogany/Maple bodies to help illustrate and demonstrate his point.

Your R7 like some of the celebrity owned Les Paul's featured in BOTB,(beauty of the Burst) has a darker, heavier and more dense neck characterised by its darker hue when compared with the body.

I bought my own 2004 R7 based on this very principal. It is brighter more responsive than any other Les Paul I own and conforms exactly with your own description of your 2001 R7.

The most dramatic example of this is the Les Paul known as "Spot". A '59 Les Paul used extensively by Joe Bonamasser. The contrast between the neck and body is more distinctive than any other example I can think of.

There are more, Jeff Becks old' burst is another example, others are more subtle and others have equal neck/body colour tone. However.. no famous burst has a neck significantly lighter in hue than the body. Gibson's artisans knew exactly what they were doing, and Paul Reed Smith picked up on it and ran with it.
Interesting information and I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. When looking at the R7 neck and comparing it to the mahogany used in the neck of my 2016 Traditional, the R7’s mahogany neck is much denser and the visible grain more closely resembles maple - the grain is very tight, almost no filler/voids in the wood. I don’t have a lot of experience with other Les Pauls and can’t really say if the neck of this particular guitar is a primary component of its tone. However, I can say that the fat neck feels great to play, it’s been super stable and held adjustment perfectly, and it sounds awesome (both acoustically and especially through a nice amp).

JMP

Reaction score
Jim, post some photos of your R7 or direct me to a post - definitely want to check out your R7.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
I'll see if someone can help me post pictures..old guy .no cell phone.not sure how to do that stuff.. my son will have to help old dad! sounded good at the gig but like always i switch to my wildwood 10 strat for most of the night. I do a few Jimi tunes and its a pain in da butt to keep switching guitars. I have 4 les pauls , and have owned many others . this one is a good one. ..best one? my 52 gt. but they all have their own voice..the florence pups are outstanding. in this R7 . having fun.

AcVox

Reaction score
Interesting information and I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. When looking at the R7 neck and comparing it to the mahogany used in the neck of my 2016 Traditional, the R7’s mahogany neck is much denser and the visible grain more closely resembles maple - the grain is very tight, almost no filler/voids in the wood. I don’t have a lot of experience with other Les Pauls and can’t really say if the neck of this particular guitar is a primary component of its tone. However, I can say that the fat neck feels great to play, it’s been super stable and held adjustment perfectly, and it sounds awesome (both acoustically and especially through a nice amp).
Many thanks for giving my observations the benefit of the doubt, I really appreciate the opertunity to state my case to open minds, without the knee jerk reactions we are so familiar with on the net. Thanks again..

If my observations don't appear to stand up I'm very happy to be challenged on each point as I'm open to correction.
I'm quite confident in my previous post, and your description of your R7s tone only confirms my personal conviction imho.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hello good people of MLP.

I snagged (practically stole) this 2001 R7 goldtop from a nice local dude who posted it on Craigslist. Came with the original case, COA, all the original case candy and hang tags. The guitar is in good shape with all the expected bumps and bruises for a 20 year old guitar that has been played…..but it’s NOT been abused. I dig guitars with a little character.

It needed a new nut, some minor fret work, one new potentiometer, and a good set up. My awesome local shop did a killer job (healyguitars.com) and now this guitar is blowing my mind. Its totally stock otherwise. So far, the 57 Classic pickups sound great to me. It’s a different beast compared to my 2016 Traditional, that’s for certain! I love this thing….and the chubby neck…..hells yes!
(And if only I could figure out how to rotate the dang images!)
View attachment 545986 View attachment 545987 View attachment 545988 View attachment 545989
Wow, that is a real beauty! Which CL - Western Mass? I'm wondering how I missed that one...

Congratulations!

Latest Threads