New to LP - Need Help

Reborn

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I'm currently stuck between the Studio and B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST. Color-wise, I'm looking for something like the Ebony or Cherry Sunburst LP Standard. I mostly play Hard and Classic Rock, if that helps. Thanks

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Two very different guitars and I am sure most people here will be on the LP side, no question. If you can narrow it down a little, like, what exactly do you like about each guitar? Then we could give you some focused input . . .

I think a Gibson Les Paul Studio will cover that sonic ground between hard and classic rock you mention very well and hold its value better than the B. C. Rich. But it's so subjective and who am I to say what you'll like?

acstorfer

Reaction score
I am a fairly big BCR fan. When you say Studio though, that could mean a lot of different guitars. If you're saying a Studio Tribute or along those lines I would go with the Mockingbird. If you're talking about a genuine Studio, I would go with the Studio.

They are very different guitars though. A mockingbird will never sound like a Les Paul and visa versa. Also, how many different frets do you prefer? Do you play up the neck and need better access to the higher frets?

tzd

Reaction score
For Les Paul Studio, stick with Ebony. Heritage Cherry Sunburst does not look very good without binding.

paulgibson

Reaction score
tzd said:
For Les Paul Studio, stick with Ebony. Heritage Cherry Sunburst does not look very good without binding.

I agree, solid colors without binding look better than a burst with no binding. Me, I have to have binding on a les Paul but my Fenders look fine without. One day though I will get a deluxe tele just to have a Fender with binding.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Reborn

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Two very different guitars and I am sure most people here will be on the LP side, no question. If you can narrow it down a little, like, what exactly do you like about each guitar? Then we could give you some focused input . . .

I think a Gibson Les Paul Studio will cover that sonic ground between hard and classic rock you mention very well and hold its value better than the B. C. Rich. But it's so subjective and who am I to say what you'll like?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. The main thing I like difference between the two, from my viewpoint, is the Mockingbird's Original Floyd Rose and the LP's overall style and feel. I was referring to the new 2014 Ebony Studio, been seeing some mixed reactions all over the place (Maple neck, pseudo-LPJ, etc.). I've also been thinking about getting the DigiTech pedal if I go with the LPS. Thoughts?

Latest Threads