(New title)Tell me about ReWind Jimmy Page pickups?

Heppe

Reaction score
Does anyone play the Jimmy Page set from Wizz?

I am considering the pre 72 set as a replacement for the SD Slash set currently residing in my ’78std.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Heppe

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, seems like alot of love for ReWind Page pickups here

Unfortunately VAT and import duties into Sweden and also shipping from the US will be a bit tough to swing, hence my questions about Wizz since Croatia is in the EU.

AJK1

Reaction score
Does anyone play the Jimmy Page set from Wizz?

I am considering the pre 72 set as a replacement for the SD Slash set currently residing in my ’78std.

Any input would be much appreciated.
The WIZZ are probably very good but any PAF repros unpotted with A2 mags will get you in the ballpark for Page tone pre 72

MCT

Reaction score
Can’t speak to the Page set, but I have Alex’s Peter Green set as well as a Mick Taylor-inspired A2 set, and both rock. I also have Rewind, Throbak, Sigil, Mojo, etc. You can’t really go wrong...they’re just different flavors of something delicious.

Last edited:

Heppe

Reaction score
Since the ReWinds seem to be really popular I am considering a set of the pre 72 set.

They will go into my 1978 standard with cts 500k pots and 0,015 & 0,022 Orange drops.

I’ll play them throug my 1w marshalls JTM, JMP, JCM

What could I expect soundwise?
Would the be prone to feedback when run with a treble booster or a King of tone since they are not potted? (Never had unpotted pickups before)

Thanks

LP1865

Reaction score
ReWinds Pre72 on their way
I doubt you will be disappointed.
@cooljuk is a great guy, I have never played his pickups (I plan to eventually, but they're pretty pretty expensive. No hate, I'm sure they're worth it, but I don't have those funds).
Best of luck and enjoy you new pickups

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering these as well.
How do they compare to the Burstbuckers that are in the '19 Original Series?
To me, the stock neck pickup is just a bit dark and muddy... I'm not unhappy with the bridge, but of course always open to improvement.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Burstbuckers? Well, those are an entirely different animal. I wouldn't even know where to start with a comparison. Hrmmm... let me try to share my thoughts on the EQ differences, at least.

To me, Burstbuckers sound like someone took a 31 band graphic EQ and turned down the top 5 and bottom 5 sliders, all the way. ...then, they just picked a few random other sliders and slammed them up all the way. So, you end up without any content in the really high end, and no detail in the bottom end, and some random weird harsh peaks throughout the rest of the frequency range.

The JPPre72s are bigger and fuller, but also open and breathy on the top end, with a smoother and more balanced frequency response. More of an even unity gain across that same EQ in my comparison, but with a gradual slight scoop in the middle and a little emphasis on the top. A nice smooth curve across the whole thing, though. No random harsh boosts and total cuts.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect.
While I haven't noticed the lack of bottom end, what you describe on the top end is exactly what I feel on the BBs.

Will have to pick up a set ;)

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
@cooljuk makes fantastic pickups. I commissioned a custom set from him a few years ago and he was very accommodating and attentive to my needs, while educating me and helping break down set in preconceptions that were wrong about pickups and their function. What I ended up with was exactly what I asked for. Not sure how he did it based on my limited ability to speak his language (pickups, not English), but he nailed it.

You will not be disappointed with his quality.

MasterEvan07

Reaction score
@cooljuk makes fantastic pickups. I commissioned a custom set from him a few years ago and he was very accommodating and attentive to my needs, while educating me and helping break down set in preconceptions that were wrong about pickups and their function. What I ended up with was exactly what I asked for. Not sure how he did it based on my limited ability to speak his language (pickups, not English), but he nailed it.

You will not be disappointed with his quality.
I have a custom Tele set from James and he really does an exceptional job at understanding the spirit of what you're trying to convey. We use every obscure adjective under the sun to try and express through words the intangibles of sound and then expect someone to distill and encapsulate it into bits of magnet and wire...yet, somehow, he does so and quite well.

The JP sets are some of the few pickups from @cooljuk that I've not yet tried, but I expect we'll remedy that in the near future :)

jbash

Reaction score
I can't help you with the pre's (not yet anyway, they are on my short list).

But if you want to talk about the Post bridge pickup, I'm ready when you are. James wound me a neck T top to match it as well.

Shameless pic insertion
rewind1.jpg

Latest Threads