New title: Replacing middle pickup with high output, flat pickup?

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Edit: See reply #24, I've decided to look for a high output, flat single coil pickup instead of removing the middle pickup completely.

Figured that I'd post this here instead of in the pickups section, because it's not really about tone and it's kind of a stupid idea, so it probably belongs in the backstage! Anyway I have a Suhr Modern HSH that I love except for the middle pickup. The pickups are surface mount, not a Strat-style pickguard:

I hate the middle pickup, thought I'd get used to it but haven't. I can't palm mute and pick, because with my technique I'm picking directly on the pole pieces of the middle pickup. I'd like to trade this guitar for essentially the same thing in HH, but recently I had an idea...

Why don't I just remove the pickup completely and rewire the guitar how I want it? My only question is what to do with the hole. Does anyone sell a small, flush, dummy black plastic cover that I could install there? I'd like it to sit as flush to the body as possible. I suppose I could just find a black Strat pickup cover, but I'd like one without pole piece holes that would look clean and sit low, out of the way of my picking.

Ideas? Thanks all!

Last edited:

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Check eBay. Look for "closed" covers.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
That looks like something you could make out of an old pickgaurd or sheet plastic.

Lungo

Reaction score
You can’t lower it enough for it to be out of the way?

Lungo

Reaction score
The single coil pickup should have a cover. If you remove the pickup then try screwing in the cover by itself to plug the hole. Stewmac sells single coil pickup covers for $3 if you need a new one.

NotScott

Reaction score
I did this for the middle pickup on my Charvel. It was always in the way of picking but it was too tall to lower it flush with the body and I didn't want to leave hole there that my fingers would get hung up on. So I put a strip of duct material inside a regular Strat pup cover and screwed it down to make it flush with the body. Works great and doesn't look hacked.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this for the middle pickup on my Charvel. It was always in the way of picking but it was too tall to lower it flush with the body and I didn't want to leave hole there that my fingers would get hung up on. So I put a strip of duct material inside a regular Strat pup cover and screwed it down to make it flush with the body. Works great and doesn't look hacked.
I like that idea. My Steinberger Spirit is H-S-H and I'm thinking about replacing the humbuckers with splittable dual-coil lipstick pickups and disabling the center pickup. Matching the gloss black isn't going to happen but I could make a black cover that matches the pickup rings and spans the space between them. But your method looks better.

NotScott

Reaction score
I like that idea. My Steinberger Spirit is H-S-H and I'm thinking about replacing the humbuckers with splittable dual-coil lipstick pickups and disabling the center pickup. Matching the gloss black isn't going to happen but I could make a black cover that matches the pickup rings and spans the space between them. But your method looks better.
On those 3 pickup super strats, especially loaded with buckers, there is not a lot of space between pickups and that middle pickup just gets in the way of my right hand and is just an annoyance to me. It doesn't sound good by itself and since I split the coils on the bridge bucker, I can still get those funky clean tones with just the neck and bridge. The best part of this mod though was that it cost me $0 since I had the cover and sheet metal in my parts closet. Oh yeah, I also saved on buying another pup. :thumbs:

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On those 3 pickup super strats, especially loaded with buckers, there is not a lot of space between pickups and that middle pickup just gets in the way of my right hand and is just an annoyance to me. It doesn't sound good by itself and since I split the coils on the bridge bucker, I can still get those funky clean tones with just the neck and bridge. The best part of this mod though was that it cost me $0 since I had the cover and sheet metal in my parts closet. Oh yeah, I also saved on buying another pup. :thumbs:
I discovered that Guitar Fetish sells humbucker (or Strat) sized lipstick pups with black gloss tubes. Chrome would stand out too much, and I like subtle :) I even have the wiring figured out but I'll have someone with better eyes and skills to do it.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect wiring and drop it down out of the way? If you ever sell it, reconnect...

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well I'll end up rewiring a lot more to get all of the in-between options, probably something like these 5 options:
1612212226601.png

I'll probably just get one of these, I was just wondering if there was a more elegant option, or more flush option:

I've actually never seen how far down I can get the pickup, but I figured that since I'm going to want to rewire it all anyway that I might as well remove it.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So I lowered the middle pickup all the way down and it's completely out of the way. It's too quiet now and I don't need it, so I'll definitely pull it out soon. I guess I'll just get any old black Strat pickup cover without holes and that's that.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
What you want is a Duo-Sonic pickup cover. They had no exposed poles.

Without the flatwork, springs, and wires coming out of the bottom, you'll be able to lower it much more than an actual pickup (assuming the original pickup is standard Strat size).

Now, these are really lightweight thin plastic, and if you're mounting it direct to the body, just keep in mind that if it buzzes you can fill it with expanding foam or put a piece of thin foam rubber tape between the cover and body.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Call me a heretic but WTF is a middle pickup for anyway? Just unwire the pup (rewire for HH) and leave it there (at its lowest level) for aesthetics.*

*Apologies for repeating what may have already been said. I didn't read all the posts.

MK Ultra

Reaction score
Empty black single coil cover with the pole piece holes open so the the smoke bomb can vent through them. Flush mount to the body. A little extra wiring and you’re all set. Enjoy!

Zungle

Reaction score
Assuming $$ isnt an issue......

Why not sell that guitar and buy one configured to you......

Latest Threads