New Threads

jbash

Reaction score
Before
Ap2.jpg

After
MQ1 resize.jpg

Pulled the Slash burstbuckers and installed my Duncan 59s with UOA5 magnets. Overall a better fit for me tonally, but the Duncans are a little one dimensional/bland compared to Burstbuckers. Not sure where I will go with pickups next. That's all I need to "complete" it.

That said, I absolutely love this guitar. Best Gibson USA model I've owned that I can remember. Very pleased with the "new" Gibson.

Top has alot of movement, but It just doesn't photograph that well :shrug:

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Pure perfection...
dang that top is bananas

super happy for you

-chris

JMP

Reaction score
Is that a Slash model? Love it with the pickguard and covered pickups.

jbash

Reaction score
Is that a Slash model? Love it with the pickguard and covered pickups.
It is. Took me a few weeks to get around to making the mods I wanted. I hemmed and hawed about the pickguard.

Pickups still up in the air.

Oh- need some Historic rings too.

BKS

Reaction score
That top is to beautifull for that pickguard..... That is all i say :420:
;)

Derald

Reaction score
Have you considered black top hat knobs with gold inserts? That might just work with that top.
Also consider burstbucker 2/3 combo or a TTop bridge and burstbucker 1 neck.

jbash

Reaction score
Have you considered black top hat knobs with gold inserts? That might just work with that top.
Also consider burstbucker 2/3 combo or a TTop bridge and burstbucker 1 neck.
Black with gold...hmmm.. will have to think about that. I may have some black with silver in my parts box.

Most likely I would do the BB1/2 combo if I go that route. Those are my fave modern Gibson set and I've not had great luck with the BB3 in the past. I also have an amazing set of T Top clones from James @ Rewind and have done the T-top bridge and PAF type neck before in my other Les Pauls, but ya never know.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Nice! Have one of these for sale close to me and I admit I'm a little tempted.

For me personally...

Amber knobs
Pickguard off
Aged ABR-1 bridge and aged aluminium tailpiece

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
I think it looked better the way it came out of the box. ;) Don't know about the original bridge materials but I think that a Faber bridge could always be a step forward..

jbash

Reaction score
I think it looked better the way it came out of the box. ;) Don't know about the original bridge materials but I think that a Faber bridge could always be a step forward..
Yeah, I'm sure some people do, but I didn't buy it because I'm into the Derrig or Slash. I bought it because I love the amber top and cherry back- reminds me of Gary Moore's "Stripe" or Doug Aldrich's R8. Always wanted something similar. And I'm more for the traditional look.

As for the Faber- I've spent alot of money with them. I won't deny the quality of materials and stability of their product. Rock solid and they should be proud. I've had very lackluster sonic results- In my experience the Steel tailpiece studs provide considerably more tone and "feel" benefit than their bridge and mounting options.

Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know that adding covers would make the guitar so glossy! Just kidding. I'm a big fan of covered PUs. The old argument that you needed to get max treble by removing them is no longer really relevant, given the equipment we play through. If anything, I think many PUs over-emphasize treble. That's a great looking guitar. As for the knobs, speed knobs (IMO) are clunky and ugly. Top hats, whether reflector or not, match the contours of the body best. Witch hats... just suck, period.

jbash

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know that adding covers would make the guitar so glossy! Just kidding. I'm a big fan of covered PUs. The old argument that you needed to get max treble by removing them is no longer really relevant, given the equipment we play through. If anything, I think many PUs over-emphasize treble. That's a great looking guitar. As for the knobs, speed knobs (IMO) are clunky and ugly. Top hats, whether reflector or not, match the contours of the body best. Witch hats... just suck, period.
Those are special covers from Sherwin Williams. Check your local ACE hardware for details.

I like the clarity that removing covers does, SOMETIMES. Depends on the pickup. I usually prefer it on warmer A2 pickups. Luckily the guitar has a wonderful natural tone, and the modded 59s sound clear and huge. I believe its going to be one of those guitars where anything sounds great in it instead of one of those guitars where you are always trying to cover up something or bring out something that isn't naturally there to begin with.

I agree speeds look clunky compared to others. That said, functionally they work best, and the 1954 ES125 I grew up playing had them (stock originals) so it's kind of ingrained into my fingers- I had a tough time getting into the top hats and such :)

Latest Threads