New Terror Video and Guns

Lurko

Reaction score
Please answer my this. Why is it the liberal Dems that are trying to take our
rights away not the right. See you can't be a supporter and then vote for the people that want gun control. If you're not voting for these gun controllers then
I think you would be voting conservative.

CW

First off, fixed your use of "you're."

Second, gun control does not equal "they are gonna take away guns." It means sensible legislation that helps keep people safe, such as waiting periods, background checks, and strict dealer licensing requirements to help combat trafficking. You against those?

We've had the Brady Bill since 1993. You still have your guns, correct? Not everything--contrary to what the NRA spoonfeeds conservative radio and FOX news--is a slippery slope to banning your hunting rifles. :cool:

cwness

Reaction score
I'm a pretty damn big supporter of the second amendment (being a multiple gun owner myself) BUT I never did understand the gun show thing much.

Frankly I think any firearm transaction from a business OR a private individual should be atleast brokered by an official gun dealer. I don't really see the harm in this in any way. Like someone said having to go through an FFL for a small fee (which is what you have to do with GunBroker anyways) keeps the anti-gunners from having their own ammunition against us and keeps the nut bags who really shouldn't own a gun from getting it (or at least one less possibility).

No harm just hassle, for one person selling one gun. The bad guys are not going to be stopped at all. They'll just go there regular route out of the trunk of a car.

I always though of guns shows as a place for buying and selling collector and antique guns.

CW

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm not a gun dealer, just a citizen that likes to buy and sell guns. Should I have to do a background check on a buyer if I sell a gun? How about if I sell one at a gun show?

You should answer that yourself, let us know what you think, that's the point here!:thumb:

cherokee

Reaction score
EVERY show I have been to you have to pass a background check UNLESS it is an antique.

Funny I always thought it was one of those law thingies we are supose to follow....guess not....I wonder if that will make this weekends trip to the gun show a little more busy....wonder if all the venders know?

Now FTF transfers are a little different. It is always a good idea to get a copy of a DL when buying or selling a gun to john q. public. I know of one case where BATFE came knocking on the door and wanted to see all paperwork for a C&R holder....not something I want to happen.

Lurko

Reaction score
I'm not a gun dealer, just a citizen that likes to buy and sell guns. Should I have to do a background check on a buyer if I sell a gun? How about if I sell one at a gun show?

This is a good question, and I'm ambivalent about it, honestly. I think it would have to do with how many guns you were selling, what kind they were, and how often you sold them.

But I can see it both ways and it would be a hassle and a half for everyone involved (including the government agencies assigned to regulate those sales), certainly. :hmm:

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Law abiding citizens obey the law, criminals don't. A background check won't reveal anything about a person that's never committed a crime but might do so in the future. A person that looks Muslim or Middle Eastern has the same rights to purchase a firearm as a blond haired blue eyed square head. Requiring background checks on private sales would seem almost useless to me. I think I'd like to keep the gov't out of my business as much as possible.

bertzie

Reaction score
No harm just hassle, for one person selling one gun. The bad guys are not going to be stopped at all. They'll just go there regular route out of the trunk of a car.

I always though of guns shows as a place for buying and selling collector and antique guns.

CW

Not every bad guy uses an illegal gun. Some of them already own the gun they're using for crime, and use it out of convenience.

Lurko

Reaction score
Law abiding citizens obey the law, criminals don't. A background check won't reveal anything about a person that's never committed a crime but might do so in the future. A person that looks Muslim or Middle Eastern has the same rights to purchase a firearm as a blond haired blue eyed square head. Requiring background checks on private sales would seem almost useless to me. I think I'd like to keep the gov't out of my business as much as possible.

I understand your point, but I don't think that is always the case. If it were, then the Brady Bill would never prevent anyone from buying guns, and obviously it catches people all the time trying to buy guns who aren't allowed to have them (felons, wife beaters, etc., 1.6 million since enactment). There is no difference in how that would work from a gun dealer to a private dealer, I wouldn't think, other than the fact that it would be more difficult (impossible) to properly enforce.

Sukkoi19

Reaction score
Gun shows are amusing. All the dealers with their exorbitant prices coupled with the Third Reich paraphernalia makes for a interesting experience. That being said the private individuals walking around with stuff for sale occasionally have really good deals, I would be upset if that was stopped. I also feel that brokering everything through an FFL would do nothing but create a captive market for the dealers. No thanks I'll take the relative danger of terrorists running amok to the erosion of my freedom of commerce.

cwness

Reaction score
Not every bad guy uses an illegal gun. Some of them already own the gun they're using for crime, and use it out of convenience.

Good point. If some one has no criminal history when they buy a gun the check does nothing. I guess anyone could turn criminal. How do purpose to
figuring out who will turn. I would think the smart criminal would still go the
trunk gun purchase route so if checked all legal purchases would all be clean.

CW

bertzie

Reaction score
Gun shows are amusing. All the dealers with their exorbitant prices coupled with the Third Reich paraphernalia makes for a interesting experience. That being said the private individuals walking around with stuff for sale occasionally have really good deals, I would be upset if that was stopped. I also feel that brokering everything through an FFL would do nothing but create a captive market for the dealers. No thanks I'll take the relative danger of terrorists running amok to the erosion of my freedom of commerce.

The second amendment is about keeping and bearing arms. Nothing about buying and selling. :)

Lungo

Reaction score
The second amendment is about keeping and bearing arms. Nothing about buying and selling. :)

Right. Buying and selling is protected under the Tenth Amendment if I'm not mistaken.

Sukkoi19

Reaction score
Did I mention the 2nd? I don't think I did. Looked at my post again; nope no mention.

Dan

Reaction score

Wow, that's glib. The right to keep and bear arms without finely articulated language in regard to buying and selling arms is pretty ****ing stupid, so I think discussion about the matter with defense coming from the 2nd amendment is pretty fair.

Scooter2112

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple solution for private sales...

1.) Ask potential buyer about any felony record.
2.) Photocopy buyers driver's license.
3.) List gun description, make, and serial number on photocopy.
4.) Record sale price and date of transaction.
5.) File photocopy away for safe keeping.

-This would relieve you of any responsibility in the event that this particular firearm ends up at the scene of a crime. People do this all the time, even though it's not mandated by law. Personal responsibility.

I know gun dealers who will and have refused sales to individuals that would technically be able to buy, based on what their gut tells them. The media ignores this and makes it seem as though most people will sell to anyone.

Lurko

Reaction score
On a related topic, how do you folks feel about gun "fingerprinting," where all new weapons are test fired and the signature markings left on the bullet are cataloged to help solve later crimes?

Probably a good idea, I think.

Lurko

Reaction score
I know gun dealers who will and have refused sales to individuals that would technically be able to buy, based on what their gut tells them. The media ignores this and makes it seem as though most people will sell to anyone.

I don't think the media "ignores them." In fact, I just read a report of an investigation into straw buyers that showed dealers refusing to let suspicious buys go down. The Hidden Life of Guns - A Washington Post Investigation

45WinMag

Reaction score
On a related topic, how do you folks feel about gun "fingerprinting," where all new weapons are test fired and the signature markings left on the bullet are cataloged to help solve later crimes?

Probably a good idea, I think.

Until someone replaces the parts that leave the signature markings. Unique marks are left on bullets and cases by a number of parts of a gun, none of which are the receiver (which is the part that is considered the gun itself).

JMV

Reaction score
Until someone replaces the parts that leave the signature markings. Unique marks are left on bullets and cases by a number of parts of a gun, none of which are the receiver (which is the part that is considered the gun itself).

Exactly what I was thinking...it's a novel idea until someone replaces a barrel, etc., or the gun gets broken in.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's no point of one of these scumbags buying a gun from a gunshow. They can go to any ghetto and buy a stolen/smuggled weapon with ease.