New studio limited edition specs - any gotchas?

Dan18

Reaction score
I was looking for a reasonably priced Gibson to move up from my Epi. I checked out the LP studios and SG standards. The slim taper on the studio feels better for me. So there’s one at GC and one at Sweetwater I like. Both special editions bursts. Have to order either but I’ve played a studio std and like it. These special editions have different finishes.

The GC outfit has Burstbuckers, Kluson Keystones, gig bag.
The Sweetwater exclusive one has 490s, Grover Rotomatic, soft case, AA top, plek’d frets. $100 more for this one.

Recognizing that everyone’s HW opinions differ, seems like better value for the Sweetwater? The trick is, it’s out of stock (on order supposedly) I emailed them to see if they really expect to ge more.

I’m not at a point in my playing career where I can pick up the subtle tone differences some can but welcome comments on these specs or from someone who has one.

BDW60

Reaction score
I think all USA Gibsons are now plek’d and have been for some time, so that’s a wash.

The burstbuckers over the 490s would be a factor for me. I just think the 490s are flat sounding, sorta generic, not my cup of tea. But pickups can obviously be changed easily, or you might love the 490s. It’s so subjective.

Pop1655

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto on 490s for me. Personally, not my deal.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What type(s) of music do you play? The 490s will have a little more midrange bite, and I happen to be in the camp of "Grovers are more stable than Klusons" (YMMV, this has been debated to death). To me, the difference of 100 bucks would be more than worth it.

Dan18

Reaction score
Pretty much all rock, no jazz, blues or country. Soft stuff like Eagles, Petty, AC/DC, Metallica..... and mostly rhythm vs lead.

Last edited:

Dan18

Reaction score
Thx for the responses. Moot point now since I can’t deal with SW. sent a note. No response. Called and was quoted best price of 4% off. ‘Engineer’ said he’d email me his contact info. Didn’t happen. Guess it’s the GC guitar.

afjungemann

Reaction score
Thx for the responses. Moot point now since I can’t deal with SW. sent a note. No response. Called and was quoted best price of 4% off. ‘Engineer’ said he’d email me his contact info. Didn’t happen. Guess it’s the GC guitar.
Oh that is a bad egg then. SW > GC every day of the week. I am sorry you had that experience.

Latest Threads