New Studio fret board

Billy Buck

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and this my first post. I recently picked up a new 2021 Studio in smokehouse burst. It looks great, plays great, sounds great, but there seems to be an issue with finish on the fretboard sides. I don't know if it wasn't finished properly or what but it has what seems to be small dips in it. It doesn't affect its playability and I didn't even notice it when I was in the store. It stood out on me after I brought it home and caught it in different light. Im not sure to try and exchange it, see if it could be buffed or smoothed out some, or just play it and go on. Any way here are the best pics I could get my phone. Any ideas or suggestion?

Attachments

Prometheus

Reaction score
Woah, that's weird
That being said, how noticeable are they? As in feeling, I mean if it sounds good and plays well...

Gfunk_Minor

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you didn't notice it when you had your hands wrapped around her neck....
As they say in the Soprano's... Fahgedaboutit.... :fingersx:

Let's see that top.

Billy Buck

Reaction score
The only place i really notice it is around the 9th fret marker. The pic might make it look more gnarly than it actually is, but it just feels like a slight little dip. This thing is also still really new, with a 7-19-21 date on the inspection sheet and the finish is a little sticky feeling still. Maybe that's why I really didn't notice it when I tried it out. This is also the first gloss finished Gibson I've purchased new, everything else I've ever had was was either a satin, or the faded series finish. So I'm not real familiar with the gloss nitro.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hands are kinda rough and would wear that smooth in no time. I have worn the nitro and color to the wood on some of my older players.

But really there is no excuse for that on a brand new instrument.

Your call amigo.

Peter M

Reaction score
It's a minor imperfection: possible factory blemish or a micro ding from dealer / customer handling. If the rest of the guitar is fine and you love how it plays you should probably just live with it. But if it really bothers you, perhaps talking to the dealer and getting a retro discount might be the way to go instead of a return.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its good guitar and you can live with it try and get money off..... if it bugs you, then exchange it.

Billy Buck

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm more than likely going to keep it and enjoy playing it. I'm honestly more curious to how or why it is this way. The rest of the guitar seems to be finished nicely and it's only the lacquer on the sides rosewood fretboard that shows this kind of "imperfection" in the finish. Like I said I can't really tell or feel it it's there when I play it, and its really only bothering my OCD at the moment. I'm sure after I own it awhile I won't even notice, and I believe it's something I can live with. With that being said I also really don't want try for an exchange and end up with something worse or something that I don't like at all. I don't expect perfection on a Studio model, or any guitar for that matter, but I really wish it would have been finished better on the fretboard sides.

Billy Buck

Reaction score
Update
Well I lied. I slept on it and decided to return it for an exchange and roll the dice for another Studio smokehouse burst and when I saw a MINT 2018 LP Classic player plus P-90 ( I believe it's what its called) for the same money as the Studio hanging on the wall. They said they had just put it out yesterday and they did an even Steven swap on the exchange. I'm beyond thrilled with the guitar. The guitar and the case still smell like new. My salesman said he knew the previous owner and said that he takes meticulous care of his instruments. He must have never played this thing because it's like new. I'll put up a NGD when I can finally put it down. Here's a quick look.

Attachments

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
Update
Well I lied. I slept on it and decided to return it for an exchange and roll the dice for another Studio smokehouse burst and when I saw a MINT 2018 LP Classic player plus P-90 ( I believe it's what its called) for the same money as the Studio hanging on the wall. They said they had just put it out yesterday and they did an even Steven swap on the exchange. I'm beyond thrilled with the guitar. The guitar and the case still smell like new. My salesman said he knew the previous owner and said that he takes meticulous care of his instruments. He must have never played this thing because it's like new. I'll put up a NGD when I can finally put it down. Here's a quick look.
Love that color!

PAPADON

Reaction score
Very nice guitars but Studios in general suffer from a lack of proper prep before finish coat and and inadequate buffing afterwards due to Gibsons insistance on doing post haste lacquer finishes on their lower priced models in order to save time and money. I stripped mine down and had my tech do a proper buff out. She's much better now. My take on it is that Gibson should either do a proper lacquer job or stop trying to sell this kind of BS and go to poly like almost everyone else.

Brian N

Reaction score
Nice! Yeah, if an issue is noticable this early on, it wouldve really bothered you down the road. Nice score; I prefer a gently used guitar anyway. In my view, anything that could go wrong will have already.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I didn’t know that they made that color in 2018, I have a 2014 Trad in that color. Nice, especially with the P90’s.

Prometheus

Reaction score
Update
you did well, very well indeed my friend

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
That's the thing about Les Pauls, you don't want to go looking at them too closely cause you're gonna see something you can't un-see and it'll drive you bananas. Just play the thing, I guess, you're probably going to dent it up at some point anyway. Or maybe you're really careful and don't own pets, or have small children around, or play it around sharp hard things, or let vacuums near it while it's out on a stand.

grumphh

Reaction score
Any way here are the best pics I could get my phone. Any ideas or suggestion?
Here is a suggestion:
Take pictures in which you want detail to be seen, in daylight.
(Or have some really strong artificial lighting at hand.)

Enough light (in the case of phone cameras "enough" pretty much means full on sunlight) makes sure that your cameras ISO will be low and your shutter speed fast, both of which make for far clearer pictures than the usual horribly dark amateur shots that are both shaky and grainy at the same time.

Latest Threads