New Standard 60's vs. Custom Shop G0, thoughts?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Sorry, I keep making so many threads. I just couldn't find one comparing these two specifically. I recently found a 2017 Custom Shop G0 Les Paul and love it, looks gorgeous, sounds great, plays like a dream (i've played this up against multiple LPs now, and it always won out). Price is a bit high $3500 used, but considering it looks brand new I'm okay with that.

I was going to either get this G0 or a Norlin if i found one I could try out.

BUT today, I finally got to play the Standard 60's triburst and it surprised the hell out of me. I played other standard 60's and liked them, but didn't love them so I dismissed it. None of them played or looked as good as the Custom shop G0 I found. However, the tri burst Standard 60's I played today was amazing, it played just as well as the Custom Shop G0, the necks felt almost identical, and I am in love with the tri-burst finish, it even had a nicer flame than most of the other standards there.

The only issue was the sound, the standard 60's 61R/T set sounded fine, but the G0 custombuckers cleaned up more nicely with my volume knob, had more clarity and less muddiness, and had a better clean tone.

Now, I'm not sure which would be better to go with between these two.

TLDR:
1) The G0 is custom shop quality with long neck tenon, once piece mahogany, lighter weight, and great tone for $3500
2) The Standard 60's has a nicer and way cooler limited edition finish, plays just as well as the G0, but it weighs a bit more and has good but not amazing tone. It's cheaper at $2500 and I can get it brand new. I can also use the extra money saved towards a really nice set of pickups.

Thoughts? Wish I could do a poll.

Pics of both!
G0 Custom Shop

Standard 60's triburst

Last edited:

BDW60

Reaction score
If you like the USA model as well as the G0, it saves you 1,000 bucks. No brainer. But you‘re already thinking about spending nearly half of that on a pickup upgrade. Not a good sign to me. Lotsa people sink lotsa dough into USA LPs and in the end get the historic they really wanted anyway.

I would not pay 3,500 for a used G0, either. I have a gorgeous 2019 R8 with a V2 60’s neck (essentially an R0) with all the recent upgrades, the best historic I’ve ever owned, and I doubt I could get 3,500 for that.

Last edited:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Evenly split! Keep your opinions coming. :)

If you like the USA model as well as the G0, it saves you 1,000 bucks. No brainer. But you‘re already thinking about spending nearly half of that on a pickup upgrade. Not a good sign to me. Lotsa people sink lotsa dough into USA LPs and end up in the end getting the historic they really wanted anyway.

I would not pay 3,500 for a used G0, either. I have a gorgeous 2019 R8 with a V2 60’s neck (essentially an R0) with all the recent upgrades, the best historic I’ve ever owned, and I doubt I could get 3,500 for that.
I'm considering the pickup upgrade as an option, but truthfully I still liked the sound of the standard 60's, it was 90% as good as the G0 tone wise and it could probably sound more to my liking with some pickup height adjustments. So I’m not set on an upgrade. If I do it’ll probably be no more than $200 for the pickup, as i only want to upgrade the bridge. I really liked the neck pickups on the standard 60’s.

Out of curiosity, which of the two pickups would be closer to T-tops tonally? I assume 61R/T more than the Custombuckers since they have Alnico 5 vs Alnico 3 magnets, but I know T-tops were lower output like the Custombuckers. I really wanted to try out the Brandonwound T-top set, so I might upgrade pickups even on the G0 at some point.

Wow, okay that's really good to know about the price. I heard $$3500 was overpriced but not unreasonable. Guitar Center actually messed up the pricing and admitted they listed it wrong, but they said they can't lower the price of the G0 for me and recommended I just return it.

Last edited:

BDW60

Reaction score
I would be comfortable with 3,200 max in the G0. But if you love it, you’re a bit stuck because if you want a historic with a 60s neck it’s either that, an R8 like mine with the V2 60s (not many used ones around) or an R0. And a used R0 is gonna be 4K+.

What year is the G0? I had a 2008 (great guitar) but all of them back in the day had Burstbucker 1 & 2. Maybe more recent ones have Custom buckers, I’m really not sure.

I haven’t gotten to hear the pickups in the new 60s model yet in person. T tops were wound with poly wire instead of enamel and were pretty low output. Burstbuckers are also lower output but with alnico 2 magnets. The 61s are Alnico 5, which tend to have a bit more high end bite. I remember reading that they have more wire on the slug side than other Gibson pickups. The demos I have heard don’t sound great to me but I never take compressed internet audio too seriously.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I would be comfortable with 3,200 max in the G0. But if you love it, you’re a bit stuck because if you want a historic with a 60s neck it’s either that, an R8 like mine with the V2 60s (not many used ones around) or an R0. And a used R0 is gonna be 4K+.

What year is the G0? I had a 2008 (great guitar) but all of them back in the day had Burstbucker 1 & 2. Maybe more recent ones have Custom buckers, I’m really not sure.

I haven’t gotten to hear the pickups in the new 60s model yet in person. T tops were wound with poly wire instead of enamel and were pretty low output. Burstbuckers are also lower output but with alnico 2 magnets. The 61s are Alnico 5, which tend to have a bit more high end bite. I remember reading that they have more wire on the slug side than other Gibson pickups. The demos I have heard don’t sound great to me but I never take compressed internet audio too seriously.
Indeed, I did see a few R0’s pop up on eBay or reverb for around $3000 but it’s rare, and I can’t try them before buying. I think this G0 is my best option right now if I want to go the historic/custom shop route under 4K.

It’s a 2017 G0, I couldn’t find the exact specs form that year. But I assumed it was the same as this, which lists the custombuckers https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom/1960-Les-Paul-Figured-Top-Reissue-Electric-Guitar-PG-129.gc

And thanks for detailing that out. Seems the T-tops are quite unique then and neither the custombucker or the 61R/T will be like it. I may not even like T-tops, I’ve only had sound clips and descriptions to go by. Would love to play it in person. But regardless of T-tops, I like the G0 pickups a lot. But, I prefer the Triburst finish.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
I love the quality of the new USA Standards, and they are on my very short wish list. However, there is nothing like the fit, finish, wood, tone and craftsmanship of a Custom Shop Les Paul, period. Holds its value better too.

My 57’ RI just ruined me with the Standards and Traditionals that I had been playing locally and even with the very nice Gary Moore Signature Model LP that I had. It sounded and played beautifully, but once I felt and played my CS 57’, it was all over. The neck was a huge difference. Such care and craftsmanship in how it was carved.

And once I replaced the Burstbuckers it was unfortunately even more glorious. The wood of a Custom Shop guitar, to me, is a cut above, no pun intended.

I really believe the new Standards are great guitars, and I will own one someday. But I know I will upgrade hardware, tuners, maybe plastics, electronics and pickups....and it will still never equal my 57. Just my $02.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vote would be a used Standard 60's for $1800 (with no foreseen pup swap), but that's not on the ballot.
So...CS
I've had two of the new Classics and thought they were both stellar pieces. I would assume a new Standard 60's would be at least what they were and hopefully a little more. All the LP I would ever need.
A new Standard 60's would be very special to me. The way those are getting cranked out, I'm not sure they truly qualify as special though.
I think door #1 is your answer and probably a better investment down the road.
JMHO

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The top on the Tri-Burst is outstanding, it definitely looks nicer that the G0. If they both feel/play and sounds great, I would go for the looker if it was me and save some money. I got my Custom finally and over time, it is just a guitar like all my others. Sure it feels/plays and sounds great, but so do all my other guitars, I only keep the ones that are fantastic.

chrimer

Reaction score
Both really nice.
What if is its not the pickups on the TriBurst? You may end up on a goose chase. If they play the same but don’t sound the same go for the better sounding axe. Get right to the point.
As long as you can live with giving up the extra dough.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Seems like the Custom Shop G0 is the recommendation from most.

I don't mind spending the extra money for the G0, but my only hesitation is that the particular standard 60's triburst I found just seemed like a really good example in terms of feel, and looks and I feel like I might not find that particular one again, especially since it's a limited run.
The G0 is amazing, but I know I can always find good custom shop R0/G0 in the future as they're consistently good. I played the same standard 60s triburst model at a different store and it was dog, didn't play, sound, or look good, but the one I played yesterday was MUCH nicer.

I played a handful of the standards this past month and I would without a doubt take the Custom Shop G0 over all of them, but this particular standard triburst I found yesterday definitely felt and looked a level up from the others, it was very close to the G0. But as you guys said, it's not the same, the custom shops are a level up and I do notice it too. Especially the slight difference in weight, feel, and tone.

I will def play them side by side again, I liked the G0 a little more and it's the better guitar but I'll have to play through both again.

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that your debate is largely visual aesthetics vs. what are, to me anyway, the more important factors of playability and sound. It's like a romantic relationship; looks can only sustain it to a certain point, after which you need to be able to talk, understand each other, etc.

I think the Standard could be your fling and the R0 is your potential mate.

Reactions: JMP

InTheEvening

Reaction score
It seems to me that your debate is largely visual aesthetics vs. what are, to me anyway, the more important factors of playability and sound. It's like a romantic relationship; looks can only sustain it to a certain point, after which you need to be able to talk, understand each other, etc.

I think the Standard could be your fling and the R0 is your potential mate.
Good thought, if it was just looks I would get the G0 no doubt. I passed on a lot of nicer looking standards and classics because they didn't feel good to play or sound nice to me.

But what made this one tough was that playability was actually the same on both, and sound was not the same but still close enough. With gain I couldn't tell them apart, and clean the only issue was that the bridge pickup was a little less articulate and weak sounding on the standard (but a simple pickup height adjustment may be all it needs).
I may need to just play them again, the store was closing so I couldn't take as much time to compare. I'm sure the differences get noticed with more playing time once the honeymoon phase has passed.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Generally speaking, a Custom Shop model is going to be a step up all around from a USA model.

Latest Threads