• Total voters

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ha! I found it.....

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
This MojoTone is definitely louder than the Natco. I also opened up the hinged back up up about 8". LOUDER!

The Plexi Wannabe at 1000 miliwatts is loud. I'd have to do some careful recording of the two speakers to really asses the difference. The MJT is more low frequency capable and probably able to do more highs. Sounds great to me right now.

It cannot do the Fender amp sparkle my Boogie can. I will have to try the MJT through the Boogie. Carefully ...

FWIW, the MJT is 7.1 ohms at the end of the ~3' bit of cable. The Natco is 6.1 with its vintage ~3' cable and plug.

Last edited:

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Speaker breakin'........why yes! I have an Orange Dark Terror 15-watt paired with an Orange PPC112 containing a Vintage 30. If ever a speaker need time to break in and mature, it is this one. The proof was playing an open D chord before and then after a break in period. Stiff and no give at first but later on, a good deal more relaxed tone and much smoother when the open D chord is finger pick'd, and when struck hard, all the notes in an open D chord are there at onset, but meld into each other with harmonics
going on as the sustain fades.

Don't ask me just how long the process took, but you'll notice it mostly likely in your own rig given the proper amount of time playing. Just have some patience and don't go ordering a new type or brand of speaker.

Classicplayer

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Ha! Yes, that was me, but not actually on “2”. My amp is on the 7 watt side most of the time and volume and gain nearly half volume, but that's still bedroom volume as far as I'm concerned. As I remember, it was the highs in the V30 that smoothed out last. The bass frequencies got soothed out first.

Classicplayer

drew365

Reaction score
Ha! Yes, that was me, but not actually on “2”. My amp is on the 7 watt side most of the time and volume and gain nearly half volume, but that's still bedroom volume as far as I'm concerned. As I remember, it was the highs in the V30 that smoothed out last. The bass frequencies got soothed out first.

Classicplayer
Sorry, my post wasn't aimed at you. I've seen lots of guys say it takes quite a bit of time to loosen up a speaker. I think it happens pretty fast if you give it a spirited session.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Sorry, my post wasn't aimed at you. I've seen lots of guys say it takes quite a bit of time to loosen up a speaker. I think it happens pretty fast if you give it a spirited session.
Understood, I think Celestion would endorse your comment. With my own hearing as it is today, I think it may one reason it seemed so long to actually detect what was happening with the V30. :cheers2:

Classicplayer

sonar

Reaction score
9 times out of 10 I buy used, so the hell if I know?

An interesting add to the conversation. Several years ago I bought a brand new 10" Alnico smooth cone Weber Signature (the cheap series) for my first clone build - a BF Vibro Champ. It had wonderful clean, but crappy overdrive characteristics. At the time I wasn't in a band and playing the snot out of that amp at home, mostly clean and not at outrageous volume. After maybe 200 hours playing time the Weber speaker just fell apart. No focus and gradually less and less volume devolving into a slow, painful death. It was so gradual that I thought it was a tube issue, or tubes, maybe bias or even a wonky transformer, but it was the speaker that crapped out. So, some speakers can wear out.

I've read that Jim Campilongo replaces his 10" Celestion Golds on a regular basis, claiming that (to his ears) speakers wear out comparatively quickly. I've have heard my share of old Jensen, Oxford, CTS and Rola that sound tired and ready for a recone or replace, but that's after 50-60 years of use.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I just tried the MJT trough the Boogie running at 60 watts (2 of the 4 6L6GCs) as loud as I could stand it while trying to guesstimate what 25 watts is. I bet I did not get over 10 watts. Using the rhythm channel, preamp volume at 10, the master never reached 2. The master so super sensitive with that much preamp gain dialed in. it is also where is sounds great. It is such a different beast than the Plexi Wannabe. LOUD!

Had no trouble getting Fender amp twang / sparkle through the MJT. I did force the MJT to make some unpleasant sounds with the mids and bass turned up more than I usually use with the Boogie. Could be the speaker and / or the cabinet that is never going to do well at truly high volumes. The cab is perfect for a wittle amp.

No matter, with my tinnitus hobbled hearing I could only stand it for maybe 10 minutes. Now my ear is ringing much worse. The only way I could break that speaker in at higher volumes is with an ear plug. I have a fancy musicians earplug *somewhere*.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
9 times out of 10 I buy used, so the hell if I know?

An interesting add to the conversation. Several years ago I bought a brand new 10" Alnico smooth cone Weber Signature (the cheap series) for my first clone build - a BF Vibro Champ. It had wonderful clean, but crappy overdrive characteristics. At the time I wasn't in a band and playing the snot out of that amp at home, mostly clean and not at outrageous volume. After maybe 200 hours playing time the Weber speaker just fell apart. No focus and gradually less and less volume devolving into a slow, painful death. It was so gradual that I thought it was a tube issue, or tubes, maybe bias or even a wonky transformer, but it was the speaker that crapped out. So, some speakers can wear out.

I've read that Jim Campilongo replaces his 10" Celestion Golds on a regular basis, claiming that (to his ears) speakers wear out comparatively quickly. I've have heard my share of old Jensen, Oxford, CTS and Rola that sound tired and ready for a recone or replace, but that's after 50-60 years of use.
I really did think about buying used just based on the notion broken in is best. I'm not trusting about people in general. Trust them with the usage history of a speaker?

Um, no.

The new / old (cab) / new rig sounds great to me as is. I reused a cool old relic cabinet well suited to a low wattage application.

EndGame00

Reaction score
Heavier magnet usually require longer breaking in period... I know it took me forever to smoothen up a pair of Celestion Heritage G12H30 55hz... And I still hate those speakers....

sonar

Reaction score
I really did think about buying used just based on the notion broken in is best. I'm not trusting about people in general. Trust them with the usage history of a speaker?

Um, no.

The new / old (cab) / new rig sounds great to me as is. I reused a cool old relic cabinet well suited to a low wattage application.
Speaker swapping is a sickness as bad as swapping PAF clones, with a ton of deals to be had.

The only speaker deal that went really bad was the brand new Weber I mentioned in my previous post. I also had a NOS Eminence Commonwealth with a dome that was buzzing, but Emi replaced it with an OEM.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think some do some don't....

If they have been tested at the factory, then they are probably broken in, depending on how they're tested....

With new speakers, I pull out a five string bass and play it through the guitar amp (or bass) at low volume playing walks or such, no thump pluck etc... Longer wavelengths to limber the paper up a bit.

I find they smooth out a bit... Just my opinion.... That and a buck-fitty will get me some good gas station coffee too.....