New signature T hum

lychor

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just recently purchased a new signature T les paul and experiencing some pick up hum. The noise is not quite as loud as the single coil fenders but there is a hum coming from the amp. The more the volume is turned up the louder the sound gets. The sounds is louder when on distortion mode.

I did try my buddy's les paul classic custom on the same amp and cables and it is much quieter, you can barely hear anything coming from the amp.

I did do some research and found that the ground is fine, the sound is not as loud when you touched the strings.

If Signature T owners can see if theirs are having the same problem and let me know or if any one is having the same problem with other models. Could it be that the pickups are not covered as to the custom classic? Or is this normal? I purchased from American musical so I couldn't test the guitar out first.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a grounding problem, check all connections and solder joints

lychor

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I opened up the back pieces and the connections seems to be fine. Nothing lose.

Reaction score
One of the MANY crappy things about the new Gibson PC board is the ground connection. It can "seem" fine and have a terrible connection.

Lurko

Reaction score
The guitar needs to be shielded.

mifar55

Reaction score
I've got a new Signature T and, no problems. I think they are one of the best bang for buck out there.

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
It definitely sounds like a ground problem. Sadly, I've seen many new Gibsons with grounding issues lately. My new Explorer Tremolo has a serious ground issue as well. It's so bad that I won't even play it until I get it fixed (or fix it myself).

How does stuff like this get passed Gibson's quality control people? Seriously, do they recognize the problem and just pack it up? Some of it just seems impossible to miss.

GuitarHeiner

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just recently purchased a new signature T les paul and experiencing some pick up hum. The noise is not quite as loud as the single coil fenders but there is a hum coming from the amp. The more the volume is turned up the louder the sound gets. The sounds is louder when on distortion mode.

I did try my buddy's les paul classic custom on the same amp and cables and it is much quieter, you can barely hear anything coming from the amp.

I did do some research and found that the ground is fine, the sound is not as loud when you touched the strings.

If Signature T owners can see if theirs are having the same problem and let me know or if any one is having the same problem with other models. Could it be that the pickups are not covered as to the custom classic? Or is this normal? I purchased from American musical so I couldn't test the guitar out first.

I own a Signature T too and have not a single problem with it. By far the best sound from all les pauls I tested in the store (customs, standards, traditionals, studios). I don´t have a problem with pickup hum. I think there is something wrong with your electronics.
Ground not correct, or perhas a weak pickup. Or something with the singlecoil splittings is wrong connected.

Does the les paul sound correct? Or is the sound weak?

lychor

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply everyone. The guitar sounds fine, just that the hum similar to the single coils. I guess it is not normal. I'll do an exchange and see if the new one is better.

ZWILDZR1

Reaction score
The 01 68 RI I got that the guy never played and still had a good set of original strings does the same thing. I have to make sure that my amp is the only thing plugged into that outlet. It got warm here in the 90's and the widow ac unit was causing alot of problems till I got out my 15 ft amp's power cord and then it was quiet again. But still there is some noise and when you touch the strings it goes away. The guitar has the grounded tail piece. My fooling with the wiring didn't hurt either when I changed the capacitors. I think shielding is the problem. With my Vox Valvetronics VR20 you can talk through the pups like a microphone, but through my Vox AC15 that does not happen. I did not have any real issues back when I had my 79 Custom with all the metal can shielding unless it was a bad cord or faulty eguipment.

Latest Threads