New SG Standard

moparguy

Reaction score
Picked up a 2013 SG standard as a xmas present to myself. This is the nicest guitar i have ever played and it sounds amazing. The 57 classics are pure classic rock.
I got one exactly like that, same color and same pickups. very nice guitars, got mine around Christmas also. Congats!

Lolly

Reaction score
Cool! Congrats and have fun with it!

Brazilnut

Reaction score
There's no routing under the 'guard. They got big necks but they're very comfy. Happy SGing!

P-90GoldTop

Reaction score
I thought these more recent/small pickguard SG's came with a thinner 60's neck....as opposed to the 'batwing' pickguard standards which had a fatter/50's neck.
Necks are still finished by hand, so expect some variation even in the same model. Of the three 60's necks I currently own, my 2013 Std has the largest. Also, my Std neck is smaller than some others I tried out when I was shopping.

SkunkWorks

Reaction score
There's no routing under the 'guard. They got big necks but they're very comfy. Happy SGing!
That's what I wanted to know, thanks. :thumb:

The 2013 or 2014 then is exactly what I've always wanted in an SG standard if I get one in cherry and remove the pick guard. My '05 Special Faded got me back into Gibson several years ago when I was on a budget, but as soon as I started collecting my Les Pauls it got stuck in the corner of my recording studio and hasn't been played for years. In fact, I got seriously into a couple other hobbies 3 years ago and have been neglecting playing altogether and have been pretty much absent from mylespaul for the past few years. Was recently listening to some stuff I recorded but never finished a few years ago and am gettin' the itch again. Am thinking of dumping the SG Special Faded and picking up what I would have bought in an SG originally if money hadn't been an issue back in '05... at that time, that would have been a '61 re-issue sans pick guard. A 2013 Standard would suit me just fine (same look). I dont think I want the 2014's missing nibs.

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Missing nibs are awesome. Under cut frets make it smooth as silk. You can NOT feel anything but neck while playing.

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not to me ;) (not on a bound Gibson neck View attachment 109159 )
If the visual factor is what your after I suppose nibs add to the appeal. The undercut frets on my 14 make it a lot more comfy to play though, more so than my LP I had with nibs, or any guitar I've owned for that matter. Plus nibs add a lot to the cost of a refret if you want to keep them.

Good luck finding one with nibs though should you decide you want one.

SkunkWorks

Reaction score
Yeah, my LP's have nibs, I don't have a problem with them... it definitely doesn't look right to me without them. Going to see if Long & McQuade has any '13's kicking around in the system tomorrow... that way I can throw a C note or two down on it, bring it home, and finance it until I'm back to work for the summer in a month or so, then just pay it off. I can kick the sale of the Special Faded into the pot as well.

I think I'm going to want the satin hardware as well ;) ... I see it on ebay (from the LPJ/SGJ etc.).

Latest Threads