New SG Junior

Chris4189

Reaction score
Anyone have one and if so how is the neck? I have big hands and used to playing R8 and R9’s and I'm worried that the slim-taper neck is going to be too skinny.

Chris4189

Reaction score

lawrev

Reaction score
I had an original collection one, and loved that. It definitely had a slim taper neck but it worked well for me. So well that I sold it and bought a Custom Shop SG Junior 1963 Reissue, which has a slightly thicker neck than a slim taper. I can tell the difference and is the more preferable one for me at least. Plus, this one was a Japanese store order in Bright TV Yellow, which is not in the normal Custom Shop catalogue.

In short, the original collection version is excellent, but the custom shop version is better due to the slightly thicker neck. If money is not much of an issue, go for a custom shop model.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Had a 1970 SG Junior in the past with the thickest neck that I have ever encountered but it had the narrow 1-9/16 nut width. The neck felt like a shovel handle.

Keep in mind it’s not only the thickness that matters, but the nut width and amount of shoulder.

Two necks with similar 1st and 12th fret thickness can feel completely different if one has more shoulder than the other.

If you’re gassing for a Junior with ‘58 neck, I highly recommend finding a second hand ‘58 reissue LP Junior DC.

I would have never considered one before until mine found me by accident while looking for another guitar. I saw the proper TV Yellow finish and when I played the chunky ‘58 neck profile I had to have it. The doublecut lends itself to great upper fret access like the SG. While the body is not as ergonomic as an SG, it’s still a joy to play. It feels like playing an SG on steroids.

Last edited:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Their necks are too skinny for me but otherwise sweet guitars. I have the Custom Shop version now, it's much more expensive, but the neck is thick enough for me. You need a 57 or 58 historic Junior for an R8ish neck.

cigblues

Reaction score
I am used to Fender AVRI necks...large and fat, and I like my SG JR neck. But I agree with above poster about. Try it. The neck makes or breaks a guitar for me.

Chris4189

Reaction score
Same here regarding the neck making it or breaking it. If it's not like a Louisville slugger I can't bond with it.

Latest Threads