New pups and pots in my telecaster

Spike

Reaction score
Just finished an upgrade on my tele. Here’s some observations.

I’ve had the guitar for about 20 years and love it. It rocks on rhythm but I’ve never really been pleased with its’ sound for solos. I never used the bridge pickup playing live. A new set of Lollar Special T’s have changed all that. It still rocks on rhythm, but I’ve been getting great single note sounds from either or both pickups all day. The bridge and neck pups are perfect matches. I could never get a good sound going one to the other with the stock pickups - get a sound on one and the other sucked.

My experience with replacement pups is limited, but so far I’m in full agreement with all the good stuff I’ve read about Special T’s. Lots of creamy warmth, a lot less brittle twang.

I also put in an RS vintage Tele kit. The kit is a big improvement too, though the Lollers have to be the bigger hit. The RS was simple to put in and you can really hear the improvement. I think the RS stuff is overpriced for what it is, but it does add to the mojo. Rolling back either pot delivers a uniform and graceful decrease in volume or tone. I notice the volume pot goes to audible zero about a fifth of turn before it stops turning but that’s not too big a deal. The tone pot sounds great in all positions.

The whole thing was fairly easy. I usually have somebody else do this kind of stuff, but I figured it was time I jump in. I just went really slowly and it worked out fine.

One weird thing was finding little Fender tags when I took the old pickups out. The one in the neck was dated 11/03/81 and the bridge was 11/23/81. The serial number on the headstock is S & 5 digits. Everywhere I’ve looked that means 77 or 78. I bought it used in 87 and was told it was a 77. So, my neck sat around the factory for 3 or 4 years before they put it on a body. Or, somebody replaced the 81 neck with an older one. Or, somebody added the tags before I bought it just to confuse me. Any comments on this dating oddity are appreciated.

I’m taking the tele to an open mic in a few hours. First time it’s been out of the house in years. It’s not going to replace the custom as number one, but it may start sharing the number 2 spot with the sg.

Spike

Reaction score
Correction - serial number is S 8 & five digits.

Spike

Reaction score
Ok, so I should have some pics. It is a nice looking tele. Plain blonde but aging gracefully. I'll see what I can do.

BTW - I rocked out on Sunday night at a local bar where I've always shown up with a Gibson (or a P bass). The tele sounded great and I got some nice unsolicited feedback from players and listeners. Still blown away by the Special T's. And I'm thinking the RS kit is worth it after all. Next to get the Lollar and RS treatment is the for mentioned P bass. The Gibsons are holding fine as they are but they'll get due care and attention once I finally decide which pups to go with.

shotgunlew

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Cant go wrong with wb's

chris

Ok, so I should have some pics. It is a nice looking tele. Plain blonde but aging gracefully. I'll see what I can do.

BTW - I rocked out on Sunday night at a local bar where I've always shown up with a Gibson (or a P bass). The tele sounded great and I got some nice unsolicited feedback from players and listeners. Still blown away by the Special T's. And I'm thinking the RS kit is worth it after all. Next to get the Lollar and RS treatment is the for mentioned P bass. The Gibsons are holding fine as they are but they'll get due care and attention once I finally decide which pups to go with.

Latest Threads