New Project Guitar Day

Censport

Reaction score
Bought a husk from that online store to build. 2021 Trad Pro V in Wine Red Satin.

NGD_01.jpg

I like the top.

Plans are to add some clear lacquer to the top and polish it to a nice shine, then fill it with a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set I have lying around. Already mocked it up on the Montag site.

Screenshot (705).jpg

Before I do any of that, though, I'll have to drop it off at a local luthier to have a couple of fret inlays reset so they're flush. Have the same issue with my other Trad Pro V, an Ice Tea Burst that I bought stock and complete a couple of years ago.

If anyone has made a satin top gloss and has any experience or wisdom you'd like to share, I'm all ears. This will be my first attempt.

integra evan

Reaction score
Nice! How shiny do you want it to be? You could polish the current finish to a nice shine, unless you don't like the texture of it.

I also just got a project LP husk from "those people"

Censport

Reaction score
Nice! How shiny do you want it to be? You could polish the current finish to a nice shine, unless you don't like the texture of it.

I also just got a project LP husk from "those people"
My intention is to have it look like a Standard from the front. So I'm guessing that I'll need to add lacquer to fill in the grain.

Which one did you get?

gevalt

Reaction score
By resetting inlays, do you mean steaming them? If they're not flush, they just need to be sanded. Just my 2cents.

smk506

Reaction score
Probably the stratosphere or Gibson direct I would imagine? I’m sure there’s an inside joke getting missed here.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s stratosphere…

I buy quite often from them and that’s the only lp they have had for about 6 months…

it’s cool but, like the op, I like shiny

should already be pore filled…

will need 20 or so coats of nitro on a non-pore filled…u will need a half or 2/3 that…follow this from when they start to add clear….I use stew mac supplies on warmoth tops…love their nitro

integra evan

Reaction score
I've bought from them plenty. Unfortunately had an issue with a NOS tele body and neck (the paper they wrapped it in reacted with the nitro and it came looking like crap so had to send it back) but the P90 Goldtop husk I just received is nice. I'll start a thread about it soon.
A couple years ago I bought a 2014 Standard husk from them and put together a really nice looker:
1659615926068.png

Wish I never sold that one tho lol

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fine cut auto polish and a fine cut wheel on a random orbital.

Then put a final polish/seal over it by hand.

Censport

Reaction score
The 'board is looking much better. Gave it a treatment of Dunlop Deep Conditioner and let it sit overnight. Big improvement, but it still looked thirsty. So gave it a second dose. Now it looks like this:

refreshed_board.jpg

Latest Threads