New PIO Caps. Sound Test

martin2hall

Reaction score
You changed to 50s wiring at the same time AND changed the value of at least one of the caps, how can you possibly say the stock caps are poor and the PIOs are an improvement?!

You just flunked third grade science, really.

Oh dear. :shock:

I didn't mean to offend your scientifically sensitive self. Music isn't science, its art. And this is a forum not class nor a lab.
I understand the implication of variables in experimentation and that I cannot conclusively draw the opinion that "the old caps are poor" after the changes I had made. I should have made the cap change first and then the 50's upgrade sequentially. But I didn't as I am not trying to prove an hypothesis to someone.
However, I think that the old caps are poor. Unfortunately. Thousands would agree. But that isn't the point.

I'm just trying to share some interesting information with like-minded and similarly interested individuals. I'm not flexing.
This is all very informal and supposed to be just fun.

...Right?

Mookakian

Reaction score
IMHO the big difference in caps is the feel of the guitar, PIO's have a more reserved low end and more mid push which makes you attack the strings in a certain way, ceramics have a tighter low end and more attack so again you have to approach the way you hit the strings differently than you would a POI, all in all its a matter of what you prefer and how you like to play, finding a cap that works with this means you can connect with your instrument with a little more ease.

My I-net is locked at slow speeds after burning my monthly quota so could not listen but glad your trusting yourself and not us when it comes to tone, the only way to go :thumb:

martin2hall

Reaction score
Opinion

/əˈpɪnjən/

noun

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Sinster

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've replaced the caps in my 2003 LPC and replaced them using '50s Wiring'.
After a great deal of research I worked from this diagram, which I found on this forum.

martin2hall-albums-gear-picture68078-wiring50s.jpg

The LP had the stock ceramic '223' caps and I've swapped them out for K40Y-9 Russian PIO caps.
These in fact:

martin2hall-albums-gear-picture68074-caps.jpg

I have a 0.022uF in the bridge and a 0.015uF in the neck.
I've recorded both a clean and a driven sound on the old and then the new caps. All of the guitar and amp settings are the same. Im playing through a Fender Blues Jr. with no pedals and just a little (1-2 of 12) reverb and the pickups are '57 Classics.
So try not to judge the playing so much as the sound that the guitar is producing.

OLD CAPS CLEAN
OLD CAPS DRIVEN

and then the new boys...

NEW CAPS CLEAN
NEW CAPS DRIVEN

So what do you guys think? My tone knobs weren't set just to 10. As I a gather that would produce no change in effect? In my opinion the control PERFORM better but I wonder if people can tell a difference in tone at all?

I used a TASCAM DR-07 to record these that I have for making demos. So no adjustment on the computer whatsoever. It has a really great stereo mic on it so the sound is plenty clear.
Look forward to what you guys think.

You should have let people guess instead of instead of giving us the answers ;)

Thanks for taking the time and doing this. Enjoy your new caps.

martin2hall

Reaction score
You should have let people guess instead of instead of giving us the answers ;)

Ha ha, yes I should have. I didn't want to feel too much like a trickster! :laugh2:
It has been great fun. I really am enjoying the new set up.

Thanks for the kind words.
:)

Mookakian

Reaction score
Coming round here with your excitement, without acknowledging science...how dare you :run: LOL

Stay happy and keep pumping the mystical sound waves ;) \m/ Ever Any questions fire away, we'll do our best to give opinion based on voodoo findings and data all at once :shock: Otherwise just rock it your way with a smile \m/

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You changed to 50s wiring at the same time AND changed the value of at least one of the caps, how can you possibly say the stock caps are poor and the PIOs are an improvement?!

You just flunked third grade science, really.

Insulting people again!

Haven't I banned you TWICE before for the same thing, over the same topic?

Even a third grader would have learned his lesson by now....

Sinster

Reaction score
I like the original caps they don't sound as bright on the high end. At the 24 second mark on the Old Cap Clean and 25 seconds on the New Clean is where I heard it the best. Now that could just that way you play it on that take.

I like the new caps on the low end they sound a little more rounder.

Overall the old caps sound to me the clearest.

Latest Threads