New pedal break-in?

Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a new OCD pedal (it's a v1.7), was jamming with it for a few hours and I really like it. When I was done, I left it on while I went to the potty, and when I came back I saw that I'd left it on and I began to wonder:

This is a new electronic audio device. Its circuits were designed to be activated by electricity. Yet, so far it has only been subjected to electricity for 3 hours. So my question is: if I leave it plugged in and turned on around the clock, will the circuits undergo some level of adjustment, and if so, would that be even furthered over time as I send signals from my guitar through it?

Last edited:

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
all you will really do is decrease the life of the pedal imho,

Some of the components used will drift from spec over time, and thus change the overall circuit.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Best to keep the hours down if you can, but sometimes old pedals sound better, perhaps because the values drifted?

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
all you will really do is decrease the life of the pedal imho,

Some of the components used will drift from spec over time, and thus change the overall circuit.

I took an interest in electronics a few years ago, and I was surprised to learn that transistors can wear out, just like a tube. Only not as fast, like the chalk in those stupid Crest toothpaste commercials.

Buffalo

Reaction score
If things drifted notable within 3 hours of usage something is wrong with the device.
Resistors lose resistance when they get hot and electrolyte capacitors lose capacity when the electrolyte evaporates over time. But we're taking months of continuous usage or years of normal usage or decades of storage.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electrolytic capacitors will lose capacity if not regularly charged and discharged.
All other components, power-on time is either irrelevant, or causes ageing.
Solid state components, heat is the enemy of the junctions, and heat is produced by current slowing through the junctions.
Resistors, if run within their power rating, and the design allows adequate air circulation around the component, will last forever.

Buffalo

Reaction score
"The primary mechanism that causes degradation and failure of electrolytic capacitors is slow evaporation of the electrolyte over time, and of course, this is made worse at higher temperatures. This results in lower capacitance and higher effective series resistance (ESR). It’s a bit of a vicious circle because as ESR rises, so does any self-heating effect due to ripple currents. This can then lead to significant localized temperature rises that can accelerate the problem even further. " What Influences Electrolytic Capacitor Lifespan?

"All resistors share one property: they change the resistance value with the film temperature experienced through an applied electrical load and with the duration of that load. " Drift Calculation for Thin Film Resistors

"Fifty years ago, carbon composition resistors were widely used in consumer electronics. Because of the low stability of the resistance value, this type of resistor is not suitable for any modern high precision application. For example, the resistance value can change up to 5% over a shelf life of one year. With heavy use, the value changes even more: up to 15% for a 2000 hour test at full rating with a 70 °C ambient temperature. Soldering can cause a 2% change." An Introduction to Carbon Composition Resistors

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
"The primary mechanism that causes degradation and failure of electrolytic capacitors is slow evaporation of the electrolyte over time, and of course, this is made worse at higher temperatures. This results in lower capacitance and higher effective series resistance (ESR). It’s a bit of a vicious circle because as ESR rises, so does any self-heating effect due to ripple currents. This can then lead to significant localized temperature rises that can accelerate the problem even further. " What Influences Electrolytic Capacitor Lifespan?

"All resistors share one property: they change the resistance value with the film temperature experienced through an applied electrical load and with the duration of that load. " Drift Calculation for Thin Film Resistors

"Fifty years ago, carbon composition resistors were widely used in consumer electronics. Because of the low stability of the resistance value, this type of resistor is not suitable for any modern high precision application. For example, the resistance value can change up to 5% over a shelf life of one year. With heavy use, the value changes even more: up to 15% for a 2000 hour test at full rating with a 70 °C ambient temperature. Soldering can cause a 2% change." An Introduction to Carbon Composition Resistors

And I get crap for detailed technical explanations :cool:

GermHerm

Reaction score
Usually these circuits don't need a special 'burn-in' or the like. Yes, they are analogous circuits and the will change over time (years) a little. There is nothing to worry about.

martin H

Reaction score
The phrase "burn in" originally arose in terms of production electronics QC . Most component failures occur within with a few hours of first being powered up, or towards the expected end of the component's life. it was considered good QC practice to "burn in" electronic equipment by running it for a few hours in the final qc check to weed out any components that might be liable to immediate failure. Ditto. bad solder joints might not show up until the unit got hot enough.

It was never about optimizing the sound or operation of the circuit, just about weeding out dud components and manufacturing defects .

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
unplug it and save your battery

zdog

If you are powering by battery, don't just leave it "on", unused, for days/weeks
. . .or until the battery dies.

You run a chance of the battery bleeding out acid.

But really. This isn't a thing.

AJK1

Reaction score
I think he’s gone to hide under the bed

Latest Threads