New Nut: Does This Look Right To You?

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Had a bone nut put on my R7 GT a couple of weeks ago

Don't know if it's all in my imagination, but when playing it, the spacing between the D and G strings feels off, weird

Then I noticed the spacing between the slots relative to the trc screw and it got me thinking, "Is this why it feels funny?" or maybe the trc is off center and it's just in my head....

Greatly appreciate any opinions from those who actually know what they're looking at - unlike myself

The Ballzz

Reaction score
If I had paid for someone to do that, I would take it back and let them know it was a nice practice run and now they need to do it right! :wow: Not having the guitar in front of me, I can't measure it, but even by eyeball, the B to E is much wider than the D to G. In my opinion, a pretty pi$$ poor job!
Just My $.02 $ Likely Worth Less,
Gene

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Thanks Gene - so I'm not crazy? :D

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
I'm pretty bummed about it

I've had this guy do a lot of work for many years and I think this may be the fifth or sixth nut he's installed

I currently have four guitars where the nut slots look and feel perfectly fine

First chance I'll be taking it back to his shop

I'm surprised he missed the mark so badly

kakerlak

Reaction score
Yeah, looks like the slots are pretty even from strings 2-6, then significantly wider b/w 1 and 2. Like maybe he cut 1, then 2 and realized there wasn't enough space to fit the remaining 4 slots, lol. Beyond spacing, I'd like to see the slots cut more in line with the strings' path to the tuners, but that's more a matter of preference, as there's going to be a bend at either the leading or trailing edge of the slots, since LP tuners aren't straight-pull.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
"Everyone can have a bad day." Yep....

His track record is excellent otherwise

Appreciate everyone's opinions :D

ARandall

Reaction score
Actually if you slot properly the offset is the other way.....as in the strings centres are further apart for the thicker strings. Its almost like the slotting spacing 'jig' suddenly got turned the wrong way after the E and A strings got done.

jkes01

Reaction score
It just doesn't look finished to me, not even polished. Might even be too far over to the low E side by the looks of the space from the high e to the edge of the fretboard. What's that sitting on the low E string in the slot? Looks like superglue. How does it play otherwise?

Take it back and ask him if there is anything he can do to address your concerns.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
X–Ray;7934164 said:
Thanks Gene - so I'm not crazy? :D
Now hold on a second, I certainly did not say that you're not crazy! :p:rofl: You are, however absolutely correct to be concerned! :wave: The others are right, you don't need to be a "Richard Head" to the guy, but should politely point out the flaws and ask that he make it right! If he tells you to go have sex with yourself, well then, that's a different story. Unless, of course, he did this as a "freebie/favor" for being a good, repeat customer?
My Nut Feels Wrong!
Gene

Zeegler

Reaction score
The truss rod cover is also a lot closer to the right side than the left side. This makes it look even worse.

fumblefinger

Reaction score
Looks to me that the slots are way too deep. Need to file and polish the top so only half of the string is in the slot.

And what's going on with the edge of the overlay? Did it look like that before?

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Looks to me that the slots are way too deep. Need to file and polish the top so only half of the string is in the slot.

And what's going on with the edge of the overlay? Did it look like that before?
Too deep, yes! And good eye sir! I was so focused on the spacing that I didn't even notice that "questionable" area where the nut meets the overlay. Looks almost like some sort of heat damage? Maybe a chemical for softening the glue? Or other damage with a half hearted cover up? Or.....? Either way, it sure doesn't look right!:wow:

I would maybe think about taking it to another shop for an assessment and estimate, just to have a little ammunition, if needed, before taking it back to the guy who messed it up!

Just Sayin'
Gene

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Now hold on a second, I certainly did not say that you're not crazy! :p:rofl: You are, however absolutely correct to be concerned! :wave: The others are right, you don't need to be a "Richard Head" to the guy, but should politely point out the flaws and ask that he make it right! If he tells you to go have sex with yourself, well then, that's a different story. Unless, of course, he did this as a "freebie/favor" for being a good, repeat customer?
My Nut Feels Wrong!
Gene
Good one :D

No, Frank, the guitar guy, is a real nice fellow and I've been taking my guitars and amps to him for at least 15 years and never had a problem until now

Something must be up with him but as I said upstream, I'm very surprised by it because he's always been top-notch

Figured I'd check with you folks first :thumb:

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Too deep, yes! And good eye sir! I was so focused on the spacing that I didn't even notice that "questionable" area where the nut meets the overlay. Looks almost like some sort of heat damage? Maybe a chemical for softening the glue? Or other damage with a half hearted cover up? Or.....? Either way, it sure doesn't look right!:wow:

I would maybe think about taking it to another shop for an assessment and estimate, just to have a little ammunition, if needed, before taking it back to the guy who messed it up!

Just Sayin'
Gene
Noticed the overlay myself once I got up close and personal - I'll ask him

Never noticed it before, but I never had reason to look that close before now....

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
It just doesn't look finished to me, not even polished. Might even be too far over to the low E side by the looks of the space from the high e to the edge of the fretboard. What's that sitting on the low E string in the slot? Looks like superglue. How does it play otherwise?

Take it back and ask him if there is anything he can do to address your concerns.
It's polished, but doesn't show in the photo

That's nut sauce in the low E - I brought my own and asked him to lube the nut with it

The actions feels great but like I said, the spacing of the strings feels weird - and now I know why

I'm pleasantly surprised I noticed :D