New model Gibson LP Jr. at GC today......$699!!

Ferrarimk13

Reaction score
I would get one just to refinish! I always wanted a blue sparkle junior!

jimmyohio75

Reaction score
BY the way, the sales guy at my GC told me that the pickup in the bridge is the Gibson 490, not the 57 classic as previously reported! Kinda sucks...would have preferred the 57!

neils

Reaction score
Well OK but here's a question......

What did they change or hopefully NOT skimp to come out with another JR with a lower price than the one that sells for $839ish?

The already have a SC JR w/P90, now another for less money with a HB.

They also recently came out with what is really the $839 version but as a DC and sell that for MORE than the SC version. Those two appear the same except for SC vs DC.

Are these gonna be "butcher block" bodies like some of the Tribute SG's I've seen photos of? I hope not.

Thoughts?

Neil

6pack Jon

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of faded finishes but I'm tempted to look into these on the 18th.

jimmyohio75

Reaction score

What did they change or hopefully NOT skimp to come out with another JR with a lower price than the one that sells for $839ish?

They also recently came out with what is really the $839 version but as a DC and sell that for MORE than the SC version. Those two appear the same except for SC vs DC.

Are these gonna be "butcher block" bodies like some of the Tribute SG's I've seen photos of? I hope not.

Thoughts?

Neil

No, there are 2 reasons why the price is so cheap.
1) They come with a gig bag, not a case
2) The finish is faded kinda like the Faded Les Paul models.

These two things reduce the price vs. the normal $839 Jr.

Lono

Reaction score
I saw 2 of these at GC in Manhattan last weekend

One was a worn yellow (not TV) and the other was worn vintage SB
They had a single Zebra 57 Classic p/u with push/pull coil split tone control pot
lightening bolt wrap around bridge. Not bad looking at all. Neck was somewhere in between the 60's slim and 50's neck. (not too skinny, not too fat).

I kinda liked it but I have a double cut VOS TV so I am kinda spoiled with that as my Jr. Definitely a great deal, but I doubt it would be a good main axe. I'd consider getting one to back up my current Jr.

Anyone see the SG 60's tribute? that looks nice too.

Johnny Alien

Reaction score
No, there are 2 reasons why the price is so cheap.
1) They come with a gig bag, not a case
2) The finish is faded kinda like the Faded Les Paul models.

These two things reduce the price vs. the normal $839 Jr.

The $839 model comes with a gig bag and is a faded satin finish.

Johnny Alien

Reaction score

Thoughts?

Neil

My guess is this.....$839 is MAP pricing. LOTS of stores sell for under MAP but they cannot advertise under MAP. Since this is a GC exclusive then there are no rules set out that they need to advertise at a given price. THe regular price is $699. There are lots of stores where you can score a P-90 Junior for that price. Plus the Humbucker is probably a cheaper pickup to manufacture than the P-90.

bleedDodgerBLUE

Reaction score
as promised... sorry for the quality

here are the two we have

they are cheaper because they are GC exclusive and they have a gig bag as opposed to a case, as was previously said.

they are 57 classics as far as i know, but will double check this when i have more info presently available to me tomorrow..

any other questions, please let me know!

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Dan

Reaction score
The regular Jr. that costs $839 was completely and utterly overpriced. Also, that is the MAP. A lot of retailers sell Gibson at MAP, which sucks. If I remember correctly, I didn't pay over $600 for mine. The regular Jrs. DID NOT come with a hard case. They came with gig bags. As someone already mentioned, since this is their own model, they have more right to do with it what they want.

Johnny Alien

Reaction score
Decided...yellow.

Interesting that they don't have the Junior truss rod cover.

bleedDodgerBLUE

Reaction score
Decided...yellow.

Interesting that they don't have the Junior truss rod cover.

I agree. The yellow looks much better. And you are correct, blank cover.

This could be the case of Gibson pulling an oopsie though. I remember when the traditionals shipped in 08 after the new standard came out, they shipped with "classic" truss covers.. Gibson overnighted "traditional" ones before the launch date.

moff40

Reaction score
Want. Are there lefties available? And what's the model name?

6pack Jon

Reaction score
Those look sweet. If I can get past the faded finish I'm getting one next weekend. Already planning what I'm going to do.

jimmyohio75

Reaction score
I have exactly $667 in my Paypal account. Given the $100 off coupon for President's Day and the $699 normal price and the 6.5% sales tax rate here in my county the final price should be $640 out the door. Will GC allow me to pay at the store using my Paypal account? Or do I have to take the $$$ out of Paypal?

Latest Threads