New mini amp day - BOSS Katana Mini!

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Just picked up one of these puppies today. Wanted a little portable mini amp to take around the house and outside, and to practice quietly with. I was originally going to get a Blackstar Fly 3, but luckily YouTube recommended a video about this. Once I saw the video reviews, I was sold.

Posting this in the regular amp thread because this is an all analog amp. No modeling. Just three analog gain stages (clean/crunch/brown) plus an analog tape/carbon copy style delay, that with some tweaking can sound similar to reverb. Its a subtle delay, not stark like a digital delay.

When unpacking it, I was still shocked at the size and lightness of it. The front is about the size of a DVD/Blu-Ray case. All plastic but feels sturdy. Loaded up the supplied batteries and plugged in the Tele. It was a little underwhelming. Sounded boxy with all the settings at 12 o'clock. Fiddled a bit with the 3-band EQ and boosted the volume and it came into it's own. This is not a loud amp, as the Anderton boys mentioned. But loud enough for a bedroom/office. Definitely not suitable for busking. Though if you tilt it up and stay in front of it, the volume and tone improve.

Then I plugged in an LP. That transformed the amp. Got a bit louder, and sounded more like a full-sized amp. My favorite setting is the clean channel with gain and volume cranked. That's where it sounds the best and makes you forget its a 4 inch speaker. The crunch channel sounds next best with gain just below half, and I like the crunch channel better at full gain than the brown channel, though the brown channel is not really my thing. But it sounds good too. Tons of gain.

Need a small, light, portable practice amp for a bedroom or office? Can't do much better than this unless you get into full-sized amps. Crushes the Fender/Marshall/Orange offerings. Haven't played the Blackstar Fly 3, so can't compare, though in video reviews the Katana sounds better and more versatile. It better be at twice the price.

Last edited:

Latest Threads