New Mike Burn 1959 Les Paul Video

cmcgov

Reaction score
That's a blast from the past.

Used to be plain maple? Could it be?

Pappy58

Reaction score
Awesome Axe....but he has six figure instrument strapped on with a cheap fender strap and no locks?!:facepalm:

RAG7890

Reaction score
always love your videos Mike. :thumbs: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Cheers, Rudi

Woollymonster

Reaction score
There is nothing better than a '57-'59 Les Paul. Even the proper reissues just do it all. Well mostly. Love them!

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Great job Mike.

Really enjoyed that video A LOT.

A '59 Les Paul is MY dream guitar.

I was born in '59, so getting an original in battered shape with changed out tuners, repaired neck, and finish removed would be fine with me.

This would be the ONLY way I could even have a chance in hell of owning one.

CaptainT

Reaction score
Wow that treble pickup sounds like pure magic! Great playing Mike!

Toll gespielt Mike, macht richtig Spaß Dir zuzuhören. Viele Grüße aus Bayern:)

mgdesigns

Reaction score
Les Paul did not invent the Les Paul guitars - he endorsed them for Gibson.

harpman54

Reaction score
Les Paul did not invent the Les Paul guitars - he endorsed them for Gibson.
Really? I'm betting nobody in this forum even knew that. Next, you're going to tell us he invented multi-track recording methods too?

donthewatcher

Reaction score
les did like his epiphone log , and epiphone guitars.......... harpman54 gibson bit off of Les Paul's Apple.

landguitar

Reaction score
Very cool, thanks for sharing Nicolas! Has to be one of the plainest plain tops I have ever seen. A shame it had to be restored so much but it still sounds wonderful. It would absolutely be a guitar I'd buy for tone, not looks! Mike has a unique style/approach but fun to listen to and he did a good job of demoing the tone!

donthewatcher

Reaction score
2007 gibson LP standard P/U dirty fingers
2013 Gibson LPJ P/U 490r/498t
1974 SG P/U P-90'S
2011 Epi LP Bonamassa goldtop P/U burstbuckers 2/3
1991 Dean Vendetta P/U Seymor duncan Slash alnico
2010 fender telecaster p/u seymor twang king /chopper
2000 squire bullet strat p/u texas specials or noiseless
1992 custom ghetto acoustic (spruse)
1995 fender american P Bass
2017 yamaha mango trbx174 bass

Jakal9712

Reaction score
That's a stunning guitar and it's really a shame that the previous owner or whoever refinished it did that. I'm an older guy in my late fifties and I've had oh my God over 30 35 guitars over the years. I've had three 1950s Les Paul's and a 63 Stratocaster and a 66 ES-335. Unfortunately they're all gone. When the economy dumped I had to move some guitars. Anyway I was going to say speaking of refinished Les Paul's I had a 54 Les Paul with P90s and stop tailpiece. It too was refinished. Somebody had taken the gold tie and refinished it and they did a natural satin finish and believe it or not I wish I had a picture, the top in its natural state with stunning! It was quilted Maple not flame and it look like a PRS. It was completely book bookmatched and stunning. Unbelievable depth to the quilt. The other 50s Les Paul's I had were a 55 custom and a 56 custom with a Bigsby. They were both all original although they didn't have the original cases. And they were wonderful! But, throughout the years the guitar that really caught me was a 1970 Les Paul Deluxe that I bought brand-spanking-new in January of 1971. I paid a whopping $546! Anyway that guitar actually had better tone then the 1950s Les Paul's that I had maybe with the exception of the 56 with a Bigsby. So it survived buying and selling 30-plus guitars over the years for the sound to look and the sentimental value! Thank you so much for your post I really enjoyed it!

johnplayer

Reaction score
I enjoyed the video very much ! Not only a wonderful guitar, but a player to match the instrument ! I hear a lot of Jeff Beck in your playing (Yes, i´m a fan!). I too love to play with fingers or picks on electrics. Even if you´r thinking you can´t play with your fingers, just try for a while and it´ll work !!( for me Jeff Beck was a big inspiration .)
For you guys out there who want to have the sound of a 58/59 Les Paul: Try a 68/69 model, they were made with the same woods and sound as close as it can get and they cost only a fraction of a ´58 / ´59 ! ( 5.000 -12.000 bucks ) And you will have an original for the prize of an reissue !! I own a ´69 with bigsby and it sings like the one on the video and played clean, it can sound like a L5 or Ces 400 !
You guys have a good time with (not only) your guitars !!