new member and qusetion about tops

doodles90210

Reaction score
hi,
Im a new member here. Been lurking for awhile now. I love flames!!! I understand the new 2012 standards are being made with AAA maple tops? Whereas the 2008 standards and the tradtitionals are only rated AA? I also heard somewhere that they have a new finishing process which brings out the flame more? Is that just hype?

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi,
Im a new member here. Been lurking for awhile now. I love flames!!! I understand the new 2012 standards are being made with AAA maple tops? Whereas the 2008 standards and the tradtitionals are only rated AA? I also heard somewhere that they have a new finishing process which brings out the flame more? Is that just hype?

All of the above is true. However, understand that the 'grading' of wood tops using the A through AAAAA scale is very subjective. You can have a AA top with wicked flame and a AAAA top that is more subtle. Your eyes are the best judge.

But yes, Gibson has done something to the finishing process that makes the flame in the wood 'pop' and be more noticeable. From what I've seen in person, the tops definitely look better than similarly graded tops of the past.

doodles90210

Reaction score
All of the actual photos of the new 2012 standards look awesome. Do you think they are making the first run with really good tops? I mean if I want one with a really good flame top should I be jumping on one now?? Or do you think the tops will continue to look this good in the future. I saw a few 2008 standards on eBay that claimed they were from the first run in 2008 and Gibson was out to impress. I want one with a really good flame, but I really should wait a few months for financial reasons. But part of me says get one now... After all that is why god made credit cards... Tempted to pull the trigger on one I see at wildwood guitars. I've seen an iced tea and a lightburst that went fast. They have a cherry burst left that looks awesome. .. Decisions decisions. I like that the iced tea color is being done in tear drop burst. I was liking that color previously but don't like the rim burst they were doing.

JMB1984

Reaction score
None of us have a crytal ball, but if Gibson wants people to keep buying them the way they are then they should keep it up. I think the new finish process will help them continue with pumpning out nice flames.

Only use credit if you have a responsible plan for how you are going to pay it off.

Latest Threads