New LP Traditional or Trad Pro?

richedie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking to get another LP.
I have a 2003 LP Sunburst Standard.

I see a lot of Traditional Pros with a satin back, assymetrical neck carve and compound radius fretboard? I also read some having Trad-bucker pickups? I see some with Burstbucker #3/57 Classic..

Any thoughts on this LP or others to consider? Thanks Gibson guys!

It's been years since I kept with changes at Gibson so not sure what I missed.

I also thought I may check out some PRS Singlecuts or Tremontis...
But to be honest a Les Paul just has a vibe I love and even for hard rock and metal, which I play, I think I prefer it to the PRS.

Rich

BDW60

Reaction score
Just cut to the chase and get a used historic. Having owned a good number of both USA and custom shop LPs, i would rather have a used G0 (60s neck) or R8 (big neck) over any new USA guitar. All day, every day. There are great LPs out there at all price points bit value wise, to me, new USA guitars don’t make much sense. Now a good used Trad for 1,400 -- that’s good value.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Classics are my favorite models...and it’s not close

try Them all I say

prs make fine guitars...but they aren’t les Paul’s....

-Chris

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I know the Trad Pros have the thinner necks but I’ve never heard of any Trad with an asymmetric neck. Maybe someone can confirm that.

jbylake

Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't you just love it when you ask a question and are "told" to do something else? You won't go wrong with either one, the "Tradiditional" in satin finish will probably be the most reasonably priced version. I (fairly recently) bought a new TRAD PRO V, because it had all the bells and whistles that I wanted. Phase, Coil Tap, Split. and a super nice finish. also the locking tuners were a nice touch. I got mine on sale for $2399 from GC.

I could have just as easily went with a 'Traditional" and been happy with it, but then the mod's would start, and the total cost would have shot right up. It's pretty much that simple, as to what you decide on.

Do you have a GC near you where you can try both? That would be your best bet. Then you can decide what's important to you and what's not. Hurry, before someone tells you to buy a Tele instead, or give you advice on a guitar they've never played.:dude: Good luck on whatever you choose to do. By the way, I'm assuming you know that the TRAD PRO's all have slightly different features that you may or my not find desirable, so looking at some older models might be a good option for you also.

J.

jbylake

Premium Member
Reaction score
Forgot. In your OP you asked about TRAD Buckers vs. Burst Buckers. I personally think the TRAD Buckers, which the PRO V have are really good. But that is super subjective, so only you can decide. I took the Burst Buckers out of my LP Studio, and replaced them with a set of Pearly Gates. Tremendous differrence on the good side. Again, good luck.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love the Traditional Pro series. My favorite was the Series I (without the active electronics) from 2009-2011. You can't go wrong with any of them though.

Reactions: tzd

JMP

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Traditional T (essentially what a Standard is now) and it’s an awesome instrument.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Not sure what the differences are now but I have a Traditional T and love it. But as somebody said you can probably get a nice used R0 for around the same price. Good luck with your search.

Sinster

Reaction score
I have both, like both, and would get either or depending if I thought it looked hawt! and plays great.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you like the neck on your Standard? If you aren't able to play both of the guitars you are considering, then I would take some measurements of the guitar you've got and see if you can choose a new one that has a similar neck. To me, the neck is everything. Pickups can be changed. Just my opinion.

-Jay

Latest Threads