New LP Juniors Anyone know what this is all about?

irocdave12

Reaction score
I’m not much of follower of the flat body LP guitars but have been recently looking at maybe taking my first jump into owning one. In shopping AMS tonight I came across their offerings and found one that had me a bit confused and the item page does not give much insight as to why. If any of you know and can explain the difference in the guitars and price I’d appreciate it. They have the vintage tobacco burst same price as the one in ebony. Then they also offer a tobacco burst at a $200 price decrease. I’m thinking possibly its a AMS exclusive guitar but don’t usually see that much of a price change for a slight finish tweak. Does any know more details?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
If I’m looking at the right thing, looks like the discounted tobacco burst is the same as the full price vintage tobacco burst but it’s a minor blemish product which would explain the discount.
589-EFDAA-9879-4-D94-8-E41-8939-BF07-B8-B5.jpg

Last edited:

modavis99

Reaction score

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wtf is that? I could deal with the Special on the headstock, but that neck/body joint…. Oooh fa

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
It was a customer return probably which is why it’s discounted and marked as a blem…

skydog

Reaction score
The poster on tgp describes the neck as “slim and flat”; the specs on AMS describe it as “Vintage 50’s”. People that just have to buy new crack me up. I just had a rather lengthy time selling a beautiful TCM that was twice the guitar that Gibson is for very similar money. So, yeah; go ahead and spend good money on that crap! Hell, I would’ve thrown in a whole bottle of vanilla, too!

Last edited:

kisschicken

Reaction score
Unless you're set on a Junior, I'd recommend a Special. Basically the same guitar but adds a ton of versatility with the neck pickup. Plus it comes in Gibson's best color: TV yellow.

stratfish

Reaction score
IMG-20200108-164926.jpg

I've owned a few of the newer Gibson "Original Collection" LP Jr's and they were awesome! I always buy used gear - so got these for around $1200 shipped.
I liked them so much that when I was in the market for a LP SPecial I bought an Original Collection LP Special brand new * from Wildwood Guitars. It was during the height of the pandemic - so couldn't try before I buy - so the owner hand picked the best of the 5 he had in stock based on criteria I gave him.

All had the fat 50's neck profile (my fave) and had great build quality. I'd recommend buying one of them - used... but if you are "must buy new" guy then give Wildwood a call. You'll pay retail, but they do a great set up with new strings of your choice, ship for free in the best guitar box on the planet - and you get a free tee shirt. i.e. - great customer service & top quality work.

I ended up having to let this one go 2 years ago and wish I still had it. For Sale ad will give you data on neck carve, weight, etc. I think these are close to Custom Shop quality for $1000 less.
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/sold-gibson-original-collection-lp-junior.441052/#post-9580542

* - its the only piece of new gear that I own!

Last edited:

lanningwk

Reaction score
I’m not much of follower of the flat body LP guitars but have been recently looking at maybe taking my first jump into owning one. In shopping AMS tonight I came across their offerings and found one that had me a bit confused and the item page does not give much insight as to why. If any of you know and can explain the difference in the guitars and price I’d appreciate it. They have the vintage tobacco burst same price as the one in ebony. Then they also offer a tobacco burst at a $200 price decrease. I’m thinking possibly its a AMS exclusive guitar but don’t usually see that much of a price change for a slight finish tweak. Does any know more details?

lanningwk

Reaction score
Not sure what happened in my post above... here's what it was supposed to say

I've never really paid attention to AMS selling factory seconds or returned products - if they have done so in the past at less of a discount, I would imagine they're trying to be more competitive with sweetwater, as this discounted price for a defect seems in line with sweetwater's typical percentage off. Where sweetater currently (and likely always) surpasses most other big box online dealers is posting pics of the actual item. I've seen several guitars on sweetwater for 100s of dollars less and it's the tiniest of blemishes. You might take the plunge on this one and save a few hundred bucks, but you won't know what it looks like 'til you get it home... unless you talk to a sales rep from AMS before and convince them to send detailed pics. Best of luck either way. I have never owned a flat top LP and years ago I would have looked down my nose at them but I want one very badly these days

TyPierce

Reaction score
Apologies if I’m breaking protocol here, but if you’re in the market for a Junior I would strongly recommend looking at Eastman’s offerings, which compare favorably to Custom Shop level guitars.

I own an SB55DC/v which is their double cut Junior. It’s the most resonant solid body I’ve ever played, and an absolute monster when plugged in with the Lollar dogear pickup.

stratfish

Reaction score
Slab of mahogany + P90's + wraptail bridge = my favorite tone recipe for a LP.
Incredible tonal options from growl to bite.
People worry about the imperfect intonation of the wraptail but it makes up for it in my opinion with the bite and chime it provides. Never noticed until recently that Rick Derringer had a wraptail bridge on his red strat... that axe must've had some serious bite!

Tried the Jeff Beck set up with wraptail and humbuckers and hated it. For me it's gotta be single coils and the P90's are best of both worlds for my taste.

Rick-Derringer-Joy-Ride.jpg

Reaction score
Of my 3 Les Pauls, my Jr is my favorite. Got it used with a Lollar P-90. It's a 2018 with the older style Gibson script on the headstock and a thick neck.

Giblespaul2001

Reaction score
I have been on the fence for a long time. I pulled the trigger and bought a Gibson LP Special in TV yellow I wish I hadn’t waited so long!

Arf

Reaction score
The poster on tgp describes the neck as “slim and flat”; the specs on AMS describe it as “Vintage 50’s”. People that just have to buy new crack me up. I just had a rather lengthy time selling a beautiful TCM that was twice the guitar that Gibson is for very similar money. So, yeah; go ahead and spend good money on that crap! Hell, I would’ve thrown in a whole bottle of vanilla, too!
Turner Classic Movies?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
IMG-20200108-164926.jpg

I've owned a few of the newer Gibson "Original Collection" LP Jr's and they were awesome! I always buy used gear - so got these for around $1200 shipped.
I liked them so much that when I was in the market for a LP SPecial I bought an Original Collection LP Special brand new * from Wildwood Guitars. It was during the height of the pandemic - so couldn't try before I buy - so the owner hand picked the best of the 5 he had in stock based on criteria I gave him.

All had the fat 50's neck profile (my fave) and had great build quality. I'd recommend buying one of them - used... but if you are "must buy new" guy then give Wildwood a call. You'll pay retail, but they do a great set up with new strings of your choice, ship for free in the best guitar box on the planet - and you get a free tee shirt. i.e. - great customer service & top quality work.

I ended up having to let this one go 2 years ago and wish I still had it. For Sale ad will give you data on neck carve, weight, etc. I think these are close to Custom Shop quality for $1000 less.
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/sold-gibson-original-collection-lp-junior.441052/#post-9580542

I also got my 2020 Les Paul Junior used and it’s one of my favorite guitars, resonant, light weight, and one of my favorite necks in terms of playability which is funny because I usually prefer slimmer necks but this one just works for me.
2181-CB23-4-D9-E-4-BCF-9253-43-DEB731-A976.jpg

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG-20200108-164926.jpg

I can’t believe I didn’t see you list that one. Now that I think about it, I was about to have surgery then and was quite distracted.
I was talking to Jeff about that one when he listed it. You swooped in and beat me to it. I sent him him an “I’ll take it” and he sent me a “gone, you just missed it”. I was pizzed! :laugh2: :laugh2:

JMP

Reaction score
I also got my 2020 Les Paul Junior used and it’s one of my favorite guitars, resonant, light weight, and one of my favorite necks in terms of playability which is funny because I usually prefer slimmer necks but this one just works for me.
2181-CB23-4-D9-E-4-BCF-9253-43-DEB731-A976.jpg
Rad guitar right there!

webslinger60

Reaction score
Gibson has re-issued the LP Special & Jr, in many different configurations. So there's alot to look at, before you buy. I have a 2005 Les Paul Special single cutaway, 2-HB, 4-knob, that I bought used about 2010. I wanted a "workhorse" guitar for gigs. The one-piece slab body is actually thicker than the body-half of a 2-pc LP model. The neck is chunky (but like the Asian no-name, I learned-on, so I'm used to it) And it's not heavy. It's the faded cherry so I dont care if it gets scratched/dinged. You do have to upgrade the HW & PUs. The orig owner had the same idea and already swapped the plain std chrome tuners, bridge, & tailpiece with black Grovers. I went further and installed a GraphTech bridge which helped the intonation & tone. (I top-wrap the tail). I swapped the 490 & 496 PUs for a Duncan Pearly Gates at the bridge, and a Duncan P-rails at the neck (but used a bridge model for more bite). Both sound vintage when clean, but scream with any distortion, if you saturate the volume. The P-rails is a combo of P90 & rail-SC. I used their mounting plate with tiny switches you cant even notice. (for SC, P90, series, HB'ing) I mostly used either the P90 or HB setting, ..or the PG alone. I also added orange drops, treble-bleed, and shielding painted the entire cavities. I've played other re-issue Specials/Junior/Epis. They always sounded & felt "cheap" to me. But I love how mine turned out. It can do clean, bluesy, 70's distortion, or metal (with the right pedal).

Latest Threads