New LP 60s question

Boris1268

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I just returned my 50s Goldtop for QC issues (previous thread).

I'm looking for replacement. I can go for another 50s goldtop which seems better in terms of QC. However, I can say I'm also starting to dig bursts (always hated them, and figured wood too). Also necks feel more like home to me than fat 50s neck.

And here I got - 60s standard iced tea. It plays fine and also has slightly hotter pups. But one thing took my notice. Theres a fairly poor work at the nut and 1st fret? Its like the binding has been scratched with some tool or something. Also theres a scratch on nut but I've seen it before on other guitars. Anyway...what do you guys think about the binding thingy and the guitar overall?

PICS: https://postimg.cc/gallery/62S9GjG

Thanks for your answers!

pondcaster

Reaction score
Sweet iced tea burst, congrats! Nice top on that one.

Just one guy's opinion but that "scratch" on the side of the nut looks just like a lacquer crack that's on 4 of the six recent LPs (standards & classic) I've owned. Super common and nothing to be concerned about.

Otherwise, I can't see the tooling marks on the binding but if you can feel them when playing or if it bothers you in any way, swap it out.

There's too many nice LPs out there to settle.

Boris1268

Reaction score
Sweet iced tea burst, congrats! Nice top on that one.

Just one guy's opinion but that "scratch" on the side of the nut looks just like a lacquer crack that's on 4 of the six recent LPs (standards & classic) I've owned. Super common and nothing to be concerned about.

Otherwise, I can't see the tooling marks on the binding but if you can feel them when playing or if it bothers you in any way, swap it out.

There's too many nice LPs out there to settle.
Yeah I'm fine with the nut. That slight scratch/dent ...meh, not so much, as I dont think its easily fixable. Im picky..eh

Peter M

Reaction score
If the top were really spectacular I might overlook the cosmetic issue at the nut and work on getting it at a discount. However what really matters most is how it feels. If its playability blows you away, you might want to work out a deal.

But if it's all about looks, there are certainly much prettier ones out there...

Boris1268

Reaction score
If the top were really spectacular I might overlook the cosmetic issue at the nut and work on getting it at a discount. However what really matters most is how it feels. If its playability blows you away, you might want to work out a deal.

But if it's all about looks, there are certainly much prettier ones out there...
Not actually able to play it, 2 lp standards left in stock and not in my hometown. However I played other 60s and neck felt just right, differing from 50s GT neck which felt strange at first.

So the top of this 60s IT isnt the Best one, eh? :p

Last edited:

Peter M

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, it's a nice top... I just think the long grains clash with the mild flame on the bottom. Totally subjective of course... the next guy posting may say it looks awesome.

BDW60

Reaction score
The binding thing might bug me ... depends on how much I liked the guitar. I could overlook it if the guitar was really good.

The bottom line: if you put macro photography on any Gibson like your pic of the nut, you are going to see imperfection. I think Gibsons in general are the best sounding guitars I’ve owned, but if I was really into flawless execution, I would look elsewhere. This is true for USA and historics, and I’ve owned more than a few of both.

Gfunk_Minor

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all my years, I don't think I've ever "looked" at any of my guitars that closely, with my eyes.
My fingers yes. Now you have me thinking I need to get out my zoom lens and see what kind of "character" I've been missing all these years.

gball

Reaction score
The bottom line: if you put macro photography on any Gibson like your pic of the nut, you are going to see imperfection.
You put that kind of photography on anything, not just guitars, and the small imperfections are going to look massive. Nothing that humans make is utterly perfect, whether machined by a man-made machine or built by a man's hands. It looks like a non-issue to me.

Boris1268

Reaction score
Yeah, I know you guys are right, though...its meh for me.

So, there's a slight gouge/scratch on the binding - this is the thing that kinda bugs me. I'd go for this 60's IT if I knew it was easily fixable by luthier. Is it??

nut1.png

See the 50s nut. No damage to binding at all.

nut2.png

I like the neck, I like BB 61's, I'm starting to like the burst and top..but this..umm.

I've noticed same damage on my previous LP Modern, but none of other Gibsons, that were hanging in the shop.

Last edited:

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I'm relatively picky about new guitars, but I think these "issues" are passable. I know it's a $2.5k guitar and all, but I think it's passable. If you return it again, you might end up with a worse guitar.

My LP modern has a similar mark on the nut, but I don't think that's an issue.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Send it back and get another, unless it feels/plays/sounds amazing to you. It is all part of the bonding process, if the guitar doesn't feel/look right to you, send it back and try again.

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
i'd keep it, play the hell out of it and not give it a second thought

Latest Threads