New Lifeson Axcess is noisy

Randy K

Reaction score
It looks great, plays great, tone and sustain are fantastic, but as soon as I plug it in I get tons of hiss, even with the volume completely rolled off. My other guitars are dead quiet. It makes no difference whether the piezo is bypassed or not.

I haven't had time to look into it yet, but wanted to see if this is a known issue? Anyone else have any problems with theirs? My 3 way switch is dodgy but otherwise everything seems to work as it should.

GERRYGTR62

Reaction score
I'd say take it back to the store or take it to a guitar tech, sounds like a grounding isssue

Reaction score
Noise with it rolled off completly would make me think a ground issue or a faulty switch or jack. Take it back and have the tech look at it for sure

b3john

Reaction score
Some of those had issues with the way they were grounded. Can you post a gut shot of the control cavity?

elvtnedge

Reaction score
I was one of the first ones to own this guitar once it was released. I also discovered the issue with the piezo bleed and reported it to Gibson & Graphtech.

Does yours have a push/pull pot for the piezo to bypass it?

If it doesn't bring it back and get the store to do that for you per Gibson. Also if you go to the Gibson forums you'll see postings about the McDLT mod as we called it where by rewiring 3-4 wires, the magnetic jack will only operate the pickups and the life-o-sound will only operate the piezo. The downside is that you can't bleed the two sounds using only one jack but the plus is, no noise, no cross over and really the piezo should be going to a PA or seperate amp anyways.

I did the mod by trial and error and once I did, I had no noise, no popping and crackling and I love the guitar. Just wish I'd gotten it after the problems as it took the wind out of the sails of owning a dream guitar.

Randy K

Reaction score
I was one of the first ones to own this guitar once it was released. I also discovered the issue with the piezo bleed and reported it to Gibson & Graphtech.

If it doesn't bring it back and get the store to do that for you per Gibson. Also if you go to the Gibson forums you'll see postings about the McDLT mod as we called it where by rewiring 3-4 wires, the magnetic jack will only operate the pickups and the life-o-sound will only operate the piezo. The downside is that you can't bleed the two sounds using only one jack but the plus is, no noise, no cross over and really the piezo should be going to a PA or seperate amp anyways.

I did the mod by trial and error and once I did, I had no noise, no popping and crackling and I love the guitar. Just wish I'd gotten it after the problems as it took the wind out of the sails of owning a dream guitar.
It does have the Piezo pull-bypass, and I do like being able to blend the pickups with the piezo, so your mod is out for me - sounds very cool though.

I haven't had a chance to open it up yet but will do so soon and post gut shots. I'm thinking this flaky 3 way switch is involved somehow.

torqvaw

Reaction score
Randy,

Have you resolved your issue?

I also have an AL and am having the exact same issue. I actually thought I had a tube going bad opn my head. Tons of hiss even with the volume completely off on the guitar. Plugged in another guitar and completely quiet.

irocdave12

Reaction score
I have an AL too. I'll check mine out later today and see if I experience the same issue. I have had a problem once or twice where the sound cuts out and I got it back by working the 3 way back and forth a few times. Probably a dirty switch for me on the sound cut out unless it gets worse and I will have to dig deeper. I've also had issues with multiple gold plated good monster cables cracking and popping and sounding like crap where the average 10 buck guitar cable sounded great on my AL

Royal Crimson

Reaction score
What serial numbers are on those AL's having the problems. I have one coming to my door in a couple days that's probably in the 700's. Hoping that if it's a known problem that it's been worked out in production by now.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Every time I change my Strings to a brand new set, I get a bit of hum or hiss or what ever. It's usually gone by the next day or two. Might be the new strings, or just a simple ground issue.

Hectorpena

Reaction score
Ressurecting this old post :)

Was anyone able to solve the noise issue without the McDLT mod?

I would like to keep the Piezo blend but get rid of the noise.

Thanks!

Custom53

Reaction score
I changed the pickups on my Axcess , but I wired it wrong and I need to rewire it..

Here are the original pickups on it.
Axcess.jpg

And here are the pickups I changed on it..
Axcess 4.jpg

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
is either the bridge or stop post ground disconnected?

every “noisy” Gibson I’ve ever had, this was my first check...

im not a luthier but that’s fixed many a noisy guitar in my experience....

LesPaulFanFL

Reaction score

I finally obtained a Lifeson Axcess model and while the gtr itself is beautiful, the guitar itself sounds off through my EVH and Bogner amps. Can you share how to do this elusive McDLT mod I keep hearing about?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

LesPaulFanFL

Reaction score
I finally obtained a Lifeson Axcess model and while the gtr itself is beautiful, the guitar itself sounds off through my EVH and Bogner amps. Can you share how to do this elusive McDLT mod I keep hearing about?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

LesPaulFanFL

Reaction score
Ressurecting this old post :)

Was anyone able to solve the noise issue without the McDLT mod?

I would like to keep the Piezo blend but get rid of the noise.

Thanks!

I finally obtained a Lifeson Axcess model and while the gtr itself is beautiful, the guitar itself sounds off through my EVH and Bogner amps. How did you solve the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

irocdave12

Reaction score
They changed the production half way through to address this piezo bleed I think they are talking about. It’s easily to identify if I remember by checking if one of the tone pots is a push pull in addition to the 2 volume pots. If it has a PP tone pot then thats the mod they did at the factory from my memory

Latest Threads