New Les Paul

Jorbissian

Reaction score
Better picture of the Flame Top.....interestingly BB1's for pickups registered 7.75 ohms vs 8.12 on my ES-335 with Classic 57's.
I just really dig this guitar for some reason....
Yes ! You can see the flame top, (just) it's one of those real beauties !

Brad S

Reaction score
Greetings All, I just took home a new out of the box 2020 Les Paul Standard 60's. My post is about how I now feel with a brand new fresh Les Paul vs all the 20 plus guitars I have had including Les Pauls but were never new. I used to look at buying new as paying premium. I never went new and walked into a local GC a few weeks ago to get strings or something and absolutely got crushed with GAS at the nicest burst I have seen. They call it a Bourbon Burst but there was no mention of the maple flame top which at a minimum was AA grade! After a few visits I bought it. So, after a day or 2 with it now I have come to the conclusion there is something about NEW which I decided I now want. It is very cool that the serial number has this birth date as Oct 23, 2020 which is also stamped on the head. That's about as FRESH as you can get. There is was still unpolished on the head! It is unplayed except by me and that is a different feeling!

Soo, after all that....has anyone gone new after always being a used car kinda guy??
I've got a couple Paul's, one new last year. The new car smell ( new Paul)from the case is still there!
But the truth of knowing the all of the memories and myths yet to come start now , with your hands begining this Paul's epic journey...enjoy being a participant

bentfinger

Reaction score
Greetings All, I just took home a new out of the box 2020 Les Paul Standard 60's. My post is about how I now feel with a brand new fresh Les Paul vs all the 20 plus guitars I have had including Les Pauls but were never new. I used to look at buying new as paying premium. I never went new and walked into a local GC a few weeks ago to get strings or something and absolutely got crushed with GAS at the nicest burst I have seen. They call it a Bourbon Burst but there was no mention of the maple flame top which at a minimum was AA grade! After a few visits I bought it. So, after a day or 2 with it now I have come to the conclusion there is something about NEW which I decided I now want. It is very cool that the serial number has this birth date as Oct 23, 2020 which is also stamped on the head. That's about as FRESH as you can get. There is was still unpolished on the head! It is unplayed except by me and that is a different feeling!

Soo, after all that....has anyone gone new after always being a used car kinda guy??
Hi Lucky you, its now all yours!! I have always gone the 'played in' route because I could never afford new. Now I can, I don't want to, because I found the Standard that works for me and fits my little fingers and sounds just as I want. Yours will be like that though. Promise you won't cry when you make the first ding!!

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Perfect timing to see your thread!

I always buy used guitars for the same reason. Like saving on the depreciation and not losing money if I resell, plus the guitar is played in, usually set up, and I don’t need to worry about making that first scratch or dent.

I got my Kramer Baretta and 2011 MIA tele used and couldn’t be happier. Bought some other guitars new as well, but def prefer going used.

I’m seriously considering the 60’s standard and one of my biggest drawbacks is that I can’t buy it used right now. But I may pull the trigger on a new one after reading your post! Been wanting the tri burst one from GC or the AAA Cherry sunburst on Sweetwater, and I doubt I’ll find either used anytime soon.

Glad you’re happy with your NGD, it’s a beautiful guitar.

Last edited:

Injector

Reaction score
Nothing beats brand new. New car, new guitar, new smartphone, new laptop etc. The best of all is finding something mint & unused but going for used prices.

McDegga

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've bought both new and used (and in some cases, very used) and I have had successes and failures with both. For me, it comes down to what I'm willing to pay for a particular instrument. Sometimes a previously loved one is just a better guitar; Sometimes, its a new one which does it for me. If you're comfortable with what you paid, don't look back. Just remember that the first door ding is the hardest! Congratulations on the new guitar. It's beautiful!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats, she is a beauty for sure! Did it have that sweet vanilla smell of the nitro when you opened her up, nothing like the new smell of a Les Paul when you first open the case.

Injector

Reaction score
Congrats, she is a beauty for sure! Did it have that sweet vanilla smell of the nitro when you opened her up, nothing like the new smell of a Les Paul when you first open the case.
Although most like that smell it is actually toxic. My new guitars stink the joint out and make me feel like I've breathed in a load of chemicals....which would be correct.

RalphieBoy

Reaction score
Hi, someone mentioned that first door ding.....I thought that's GOTTA hurt! Everything about this guitar has checked out QC wise down to nut height. KUDOS to Gibson for getting it right. I have been playing it through a small modified '60's Harmony amp....don't laugh.... and tone is great. Will move up to my my '78 JMP Marshall and crank this baby today. Like I said I must have walked in and out of GC several times looking at it up there on the wall but saying.....nah......your a used guy......LOL. Cheers and thank you for all the comments.

Forge360

Reaction score
Congratulations for your new baby!
I bought several new guitars, but mainly go for used ones both on my domestic Swiss market and Worldwide.
I don’t know why, but I feel some used have a mojo I never quite found in a new model (but in a fantastic Gretsch G6128T Dark Cherry Metallic I ordered from Chicago Music Exchange).
Actually, I mostly buy Japanese « lawsuit » era (Greco, Orville and Yamaha) as well as more recent Tokai Love Rock, Bacchus Dukes, Edwards E-LP and Epiphone Japan.
I just love the idea that they had a « life » before. Some need a good clean up and I like to be able to make an oldie shine again!

But I admit those 2020 Gibson LP Standards look gorgeous and I might pull the trigger sooner or later... on a used one.

RalphieBoy

Reaction score
Well this might answer your question - This is the neck pocket I received on a brand new 2020 Les Paul Classic last week. It was even cleared over perfectly to preserve the markings for the life of the guitar.

View attachment 509424
Wow, that's the kinda of stuff I looked the guitar top to bottom over for. I especially wanted to see the seems on the binding to wood be absolutely smooth as glass and they were. Also, where the neck meets the body on the cutout side. I have read about Gibson's QC ups and downs. Because GC allows you to return in 45 days I didn't even play the guitar. Just said "take that one down I'm going to buy it".....but looked it over real good right out of the box. My experience would have been killed if the guitar had to go back over something QC related!

Patek

Reaction score
Nothing beats brand new. New car, new guitar, new smartphone, new laptop etc. The best of all is finding something mint & unused but going for used prices.
Would an original well used 1959 LP not beat your brand new customshop?

Jorbissian

Reaction score
Yeah ! I wish my parents had the sense to by me a Les Paul for the year I was born, 1959 ! LOL !

Jorbissian

Reaction score
Well yes and when it comes to resale value certainly. I don't believe that they all play and sound magic though.
Yes mate, no argument there, their resale prices now are just crazy, as I said, I wish my parents would have somehow known, of course there's no way they would have, ha ha ha, cheers !

Latest Threads