New Les Paul

Brian Tee

Reaction score
Greetings All, I just took home a new out of the box 2020 Les Paul Standard 60's. My post is about how I now feel with a brand new fresh Les Paul vs all the 20 plus guitars I have had including Les Pauls but were never new. I used to look at buying new as paying premium. I never went new and walked into a local GC a few weeks ago to get strings or something and absolutely got crushed with GAS at the nicest burst I have seen. They call it a Bourbon Burst but there was no mention of the maple flame top which at a minimum was AA grade! After a few visits I bought it. So, after a day or 2 with it now I have come to the conclusion there is something about NEW which I decided I now want. It is very cool that the serial number has this birth date as Oct 23, 2020 which is also stamped on the head. That's about as FRESH as you can get. There is was still unpolished on the head! It is unplayed except by me and that is a different feeling!

Soo, after all that....has anyone gone new after always being a used car kinda guy??
My first Gibson was bought new from Chappells of Bond Street in 1978, when I was just 19. My Gran had left me enough in her will to buy the guitar of my dreams. It’s the one in the middle - a 78 built RD Artist. Still playing like a dream, and looking better than ever. Seen here with my gran’s banjolele and a magnificent 2/3 scale custom build Manson.
94867E03-102A-40BD-80A5-55AB3A74AAE2.jpeg

jetiii

Reaction score
I always wanted to buy a new Gibson LP Standard, but found an awesome 2003 LP Standard in Honeyburst for a super low price instead. I traded a nice Telecaster for an immaculate 2010 Flying V back then too! Then I got into collecting Japanese Lawsuit knock offs from the 70’s-80’s like Aria Pro II.

Rwill682

Reaction score
Greetings All, I just took home a new out of the box 2020 Les Paul Standard 60's. My post is about how I now feel with a brand new fresh...
Soo, after all that....has anyone gone new after always being a used car kinda guy??

My favorite part of getting a new Gibson is the smell of the nitrocellulose lacquer... I've had a few brand new LP's with mostly very good results. If you hang around Musicians Friend and Sweetwater at the end of the year they have some pretty awesome deals. My only complaint on the ones I got- pre-2016, was the neck angle on one was very steep(?)- action was really high around the 12th fret and higher- but that was easily fixed.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful burst on that one, congrats!

Sweeper5

Reaction score
Greetings All, I just took home a new out of the box 2020 Les Paul Standard 60's. My post is about how I now feel with a brand new fresh Les Paul vs all the 20 plus guitars I have had including Les Pauls but were never new. I used to look at buying new as paying premium. I never went new and walked into a local GC a few weeks ago to get strings or something and absolutely got crushed with GAS at the nicest burst I have seen. They call it a Bourbon Burst but there was no mention of the maple flame top which at a minimum was AA grade! After a few visits I bought it. So, after a day or 2 with it now I have come to the conclusion there is something about NEW which I decided I now want. It is very cool that the serial number has this birth date as Oct 23, 2020 which is also stamped on the head. That's about as FRESH as you can get. There is was still unpolished on the head! It is unplayed except by me and that is a different feeling!

I saw the photos. Beautiful instrument by any measure. Even better than that, it is obviously “The One” for you. When you find “The One”, it is magical...everything clicks, and tou fall in love, and every other guitar that you loved so dearly, now pales in comparison.
I know the feeling! Congratulations! And happy new year!

Gitter

Reaction score
My first Gibson was bought new from Chappells of Bond Street in 1978, when I was just 19. My Gran had left me enough in her will to buy the guitar of my dreams. It’s the one in the middle - a 78 built RD Artist. Still playing like a dream, and looking better than ever. Seen here with my gran’s banjolele and a magnificent 2/3 scale custom build Manson.
View attachment 509345
Looove the RD. I wish they'd bring it back again, even as another limited run.

cjpivonka

Reaction score
In my 55 years of playing guitar, I've only bought 7 new guitars. All of the rest were used.

Bobby9470

Reaction score

Hey guys, my name is Bobby. I just wanted to comment on New vs Used. I myself have been the same kind of guy you’re talking about bro, with always buying used off of Craigslist or Reverb or eBay all they way up to October 24th of 2020 that’s when I decided to go brand new in the box. Don’t get me wrong... I love my 2020 Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro V, I named her “Southern Belle”, but there were a few flaws that should’ve been fixed thru QC at the Gibson factory that were not and it was being sold as new and not a 2nd, Blemished or Demo model. So my point is...when you pull it directly out of the box...check it out first and make your case before you hand over the $$$. That’s where you can buy differently when you go used...you can know what you’re getting and maybe haggle for price due to the flaws, but when you buy new at Guitar Center, they’ll tell you “it’s brand new and not their problem, if you don’t wanna buy it then don’t”, customer service sucks that way sometimes. I seen the flaws and didn’t care because the good wayyyy outweighed the bad and she’s totally beautiful...it’s like having a beautiful 5 star model for a girlfriend and her a flaw in the form of a birthmark...no big deal. I wouldn’t change my purchase...it my girl’s flaw, but she wears it well. So as far as whether to go new or used, that all depends on what you want and most times what you can put your hands on and your style...does it fit me or not, enough money or not, the right color or a different one, all these things are right in front of you at the store...with used, you’ll have a somewhat limited choice and it may not be what you want. So either way it’s the buyers choice and it all depends on the person’s taste....and being able to live with and accept the choice you’ve made after you buy it..I know I did because, like I said I love my girl and wouldn’t change my decision....I bought new because the used market was shitty and new is much better at the time. Congrats on your new 2020 LP Standard bro, I hope you dig it as much as I love mine....rock on bro !!!
P.s.....I keep trying to post a few pics, but it’s telling me the photos are too large to upload. Maybe next time guys !!!

Overture

Reaction score
Gorgeous fiddle!

New or used....each has it's merits. I love an instrument with a story, but I also like being the first chapter in a story. Of my 4 current electrics, one I bought new (standard 60's) one I bought new, sold to a friend, then bought back 6 years later, and 2 were used.

sparky2

Reaction score
I'm late to this thread, but WOW, what a gorgeous sunburst.

Man, I love it.

:p

Donnie55

Reaction score
Better picture of the Flame Top.....interestingly BB1's for pickups registered 7.75 ohms vs 8.12 on my ES-335 with Classic 57's.
I just really dig this guitar for some reason....
I love the Bourbon Burst.. That's beautiful !!!

James Hill

Reaction score

Well, l am very happy for you, congratz on your decision, l bought my first brand new LP Standard in "18".. a "17" leftover in Daytonas "Total Entertainment" and it was an amazing feeling to be the only owner of it. Hell, lm 53 now and owned and played used guitars all my life and it was not only my first new guitar but my first Les Paul and yes..it is special, it is a honey burst beauty that plays and sounds AMAZING!! I will never forget the day l bought it..the excitement was incredible! Congratz!!!

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
So is the QC getting better with the new management?
Well this might answer your question - This is the neck pocket I received on a brand new 2020 Les Paul Classic last week. It was even cleared over perfectly to preserve the markings for the life of the guitar.

PHOTO_20201223_035134.jpg

Patek

Reaction score
I got my first ever new LP last year, 2019 59 anniversary.

I Really wanted the latest anniversary model with the new specs and found one in germany online with a really unique top and colour, 8lb and black as ebony rosewood so ticked all the boxes.

Paid full german RRP, which was still several hundred £ cheaper than RRP in the UK (and in the UK stores do not discount on brand new hot models with tops like these, perhaps a few hundred £ as a token gesture but on the whole the UK does not get good stock, so no chance of finding something like this easily.

plus these 59s were flying out of the door so wasn’t going to risk someone else clicking ‘add to basket’ while I try to negotiate an online discount. Was happy with free international shipping and a pro setup to my spec.

Prior to this my first LP as a late teen was a 1994 wine red studio (butchered) and thereafter a bunch of different customshop 59s and both reissue and original 1954 GT... everything used. The only other new guitar I own us a customshop strat which really sang to me in the store and had to have it, as with strats it’s difficult to find one that you can easily bond with.

long story short, Really happy with this LP and it is nice to be the first owner so I’m with you there

07599F3A-693E-4168-ADC3-E8029DBF899F.jpeg
FF8EE261-A4A9-42D2-983D-1FAE08B66A44.jpeg

FB431896-4FD5-4654-9D13-DE53CCAA7F60.jpeg
FF04C571-1C92-4A76-BDF9-7E74CD39961E.jpeg

lennoed

Reaction score
I got my first ever new LP last year, 2019 59 anniversary.

I Really wanted the latest anniversary model with the new specs and found one in germany online with a really unique top and colour, 8lb and black as ebony rosewood so ticked all the boxes.

Paid full german RRP, which was still several hundred £ cheaper than RRP in the UK (and in the UK stores do not discount on brand new hot models with tops like these, perhaps a few hundred £ as a token gesture but on the whole the UK does not get good stock, so no chance of finding something like this easily.

plus these 59s were flying out of the door so wasn’t going to risk someone else clicking ‘add to basket’ while I try to negotiate an online discount. Was happy with free international shipping and a pro setup to my spec.

Prior to this my first LP as a late teen was a 1994 wine red studio (butchered) and thereafter a bunch of different customshop 59s and both reissue and original 1954 GT... everything used. The only other new guitar I own us a customshop strat which really sang to me in the store and had to have it, as with strats it’s difficult to find one that you can easily bond with.

long story short, Really happy with this LP and it is nice to be the first owner so I’m with you there

View attachment 509427 View attachment 509428

View attachment 509431 View attachment 509432
That top is unbelievable !

E.T.

Reaction score
Not new, but definitely mint- I went with a second hand limited edition case queen, looked like it'd been played as many times since '93 as the average instrument that comes off the wall in a store has in a year.. It began with a "Wayne's World" moment on the internet and culminated years later with me acquiring the exact instrument. I guess bought originally as an investment but never really acumulated the value the owner was hoping for. The first damage was mortifying (bloody baggage handlers) but since then there's a satisfaction to knowing all the wear on the instrument has been me. It's been around the globe and all over two continents with me, I'll never replace it.

Jorbissian

Reaction score
Sorry for the rough photo but this was when I took it out 1st time and inspected it for QC flaws. Everything down to the machine grooving on the fretboard checked out perfect. QC was great for a guitar made in 2020 with Covid-19. The workers were probably wearing masks when they made this guitar back in October!
Congrats man, wow ! It's a beauty, happy playing !

Latest Threads