New Les Paul

dux

Reaction score
Congratulations!

Personally, I love the story that comes with the guitar. Especially when it comes to Gibson (for most of us the dream-guitar)... It doesn't matter if you don't know the previous owner(s) if the story is visible. In a "good way" of course :).

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Saiko

Reaction score
Congrats on the new guitar! I too was a "used" guy until a 2018 SG Standard made me change my mind... I have a feeling the new standards might be the next new one for me as well. Nice guitar, love the finish!

wjlim22

Reaction score
I went to a Guitar Center once that had a tri-burst and when I asked them what it was, they told me it was a bourbon burst. I didn't argue. Maybe the tags on them just say bourbon burst. Who knows. Congrats! Very special guitar!

Wildman

Reaction score
Greetings All, I just took home a new out of the box 2020 Les Paul Standard 60's. My post is about how I now feel with a brand new fresh Les Paul vs all the 20 plus guitars I have had including Les Pauls but were never new. I used to look at buying new as paying premium. I never went new and walked into a local GC a few weeks ago to get strings or something and absolutely got crushed with GAS at the nicest burst I have seen. They call it a Bourbon Burst but there was no mention of the maple flame top which at a minimum was AA grade! After a few visits I bought it. So, after a day or 2 with it now I have come to the conclusion there is something about NEW which I decided I now want. It is very cool that the serial number has this birth date as Oct 23, 2020 which is also stamped on the head. That's about as FRESH as you can get. There is was still unpolished on the head! It is unplayed except by me and that is a different feeling!

Soo, after all that....has anyone gone new after always being a used car kinda guy??
HNGD!

danemac

Reaction score
Greetings All, I just took home a new out of the box 2020 Les Paul Standard 60's. My post is about how I now feel with a brand new fresh Les Paul vs all the 20 plus guitars I have had including Les Pauls but were never new. I used to look at buying new as paying premium. I never went new and walked into a local GC a few weeks ago to get strings or something and absolutely got crushed with GAS at the nicest burst I have seen. They call it a Bourbon Burst but there was no mention of the maple flame top which at a minimum was AA grade! After a few visits I bought it. So, after a day or 2 with it now I have come to the conclusion there is something about NEW which I decided I now want. It is very cool that the serial number has this birth date as Oct 23, 2020 which is also stamped on the head. That's about as FRESH as you can get. There is was still unpolished on the head! It is unplayed except by me and that is a different feeling!

Soo, after all that....has anyone gone new after always being a used car kinda guy??

Pdpmail

Reaction score

I did the reverse! Bought a new standard then returned it. Then I went out and bought a used historic R8 for a little bit more. But the owner had literally hardly ever used it. But I know what you mean about having new things. I just couldn't stretch to the cost of a brand spanking new R8 :-(

Jim Connelly

Reaction score

Hi. Do you mean an R0? Not sure what you mean by Les Paul 60's. There were hardly any Les Pauls made in the 60's. Not trying to be a smart ass I just wanted to be clear on what you have.

danemac

Reaction score
Happy new year everyone! Congratulations on your new addition!! I love the BB finish, I’ve got a 2019. Unfortunately the little black polishing cloth that came with the LP tend to leach into the nitro (as a word of caution). I now have a small reminder on the neck as a reminder not to leave said cloth near the nitro!! Lol totally my fault!!!! Enjoy

Steelp

Reaction score

I was crazy fortunate a couple years ago for the custom shop to show up at my local music store. They had a truck full of tops and I spent the better part of an hour selecting my own top, V3 neck, custom bucker pickups, 1960 silver cap knobs and dirty lemon burst all the while insisting it was as light as possible for a custom shop made to measure Les Paul. I received updates along the way and received the guitar about 6 weeks later. That’s an experience I don’t think many get and I’m unbelievably grateful that I was able to experience a piece of history with my signature in it. And you know what? Placebo or not every time I pick up that guitar it feels like it’s supposed to...made for me. Happy New Years folks!
138307C6-B78F-4BC5-A687-9E1833C9DFF9.jpeg
138307C6-B78F-4BC5-A687-9E1833C9DFF9.jpeg
80A42199-1B5E-423A-ACDF-5E22FDF559AB.jpeg

Spooky88

Reaction score
TBH, all the "BIG" guitar manufacturers guitars are overpriced. I've played quite a few Les Pauls at GC and wouldn't own any of them (just a waste of space). That being said I had a buddy that owned a (79?) black beauty and that guitar was magical. Of course it played him more than he played it, an excellent example of possession, as once he started soloing he couldn't stop. The only other les paul I'd own is a gold top standard (2016) that another friend bought online from musicians friend. Great guitar! I'd own it. It's just sad that I've never found a les paul I felt should live up to the legacy in a store. I've built a couple clones, one of which I use live on a regular basis. So good for the OP if he found one that "speaks" to him. I feel it's pretty rare.

CoolRene

Reaction score
Congrats: very nice instrument. Personally, I always preferred pre-owned instruments for their “worn in” feel. Nowadays, you can get this with VOS or reliced guitars (if you like it). At the time, one had to work hard for months to get the same result…

Six6String6

Reaction score
I like the idea of used as far as the cost savings go but I must say “new” for me also. The whole thing about never been touched before other than the artisans who crafted it. I prefer that. My guitars are always new.
This of course excludes those zillion dollar rare jewels out there which I could never afford anyway!

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
New or used doesn't really matter to me. I've bought both. For me it's more being in the right place at the right time and finding a guitar that I connect with.

Latest Threads