New les paul. Tough decision, need help

Vevel15

Reaction score
Hey, I got some cack rattling in my brain for days, so maybe you guys can help me.

I want to buy new Gibson out of shop and really, really cant decide which to choose.

Due to limited stock in my country now, I got only three choices at the moment.

- LP Standard 50s Goldtop
- LP Classic Honeyburst
- LP Classic Translucent cherry

What's the problem? I play punk and rock mosty. Goldtop is my favourite finish. I played this guitar for few days and something wasnt right. It was the neck. Even tho ppl say its not a baseball bat, it felt chunky AF to me. Otherwise, guitar was ok, maybe the pickups where lacking some punch, but thats not a big deal for me. My previous guitars were 2016 Standard, Fender Player Strat and Epi Matt Heafy. All of them had slim necks...atm, no lp standard 60s available in my country + i dont really like finishes on them. I can adjust to that neck np but atm its kinda jarring in my hands. Not sure what to think about it, more like a psychical issue than an actual problem, but it stings somehow.

Honestly, I'd go for classic, which is significantly cheaper (500 USD difference). As for honeyburst, I kinda like the guitar, felt good and played good, but the top is so "woody", with all these wood grain blemishes, spots which I dont really like - prefer solid colors or plaintops. It had slimtaper neck though which feels like home to me. What is more, neck was thinner, but I compared it to 50s standard tobacco, which was in shop, and...the difference wasnt that big, somehow.

As for cherry translucent, I have no possibility to play it, but its like 150 dollars cheaper than honeyburst and its the same guitar. The look isnt outstanding for me but...its a True Gibson.

What would you go for if you were me?

Thanks guys for your replies As I really cant decide between these three. Regards, Gary

Last edited:

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I got some cack rattling in my brain for days, so maybe you guys can help me.

I want to buy new Gibson out of shop and really, really cant decide which to choose.

Due to limited stock in my country now, I got only three choices at the moment.

- LP Standard 50s Goldtop
- LP Classic Honeyburst
- LP Classic Translucent cherry

What's the problem? I play punk and rock mosty. Goldtop is my favourite finish. I played this guitar for few days and something wasnt right. It was the neck. Even tho ppl say its not a baseball bat, it felt chunky AF to me. Otherwise, guitar was ok, maybe the pickups where lacking some punch, but thats not a big deal for me. My previous guitars were 2016 Standard, Fender Player Strat and Epi Matt Heafy. All of them had slim necks...atm, no lp standard 60s available in my country + i dont really like finishes on them. I can adjust to that neck np but atm its kinda jarring in my hands. Not sure what to think about it, more like a psychical issue than an actual problem, but it stings somehow.

Honestly, I'd go for classic, which is significantly cheaper (500 USD difference). As for honeyburst, I kinda like the guitar, felt good and played good, but the top is so "woody", with all these wood grain blemishes, spots which I dont really like - prefer solid colors or plaintops. It had slimtaper neck though which feels like home to me. What is more, neck was thicker, but I compared it to 50s standard tobacco, which was in shop, and...the difference wasnt that big, somehow.

As for cherry translucent, I have no possibility to play it, but its like 150 dollars cheaper than honeyburst and its the same guitar. The look isnt outstanding for me but...its a True Gibson.

What would you go for if you were me?

Thanks guys for your replies As I really cant decide between these three. Regards, Gary
Maybe try and find an ebony classic :dunno:..... they look really good. The classic is the better buy IMO if you like the slim taper neck profile.

E.T.

Reaction score
Were it me, red classic, 100%.. you prefer the neck type, the colour, it's cheaper.. definitely worth a punt.

You say the classic you tried had a thicker neck than the '50s Standard? :hmm: Could it not be a mis-labelled '60s Standard? I have two slim taper necks and recently acquired a mid 2000s '59 one- the two slim tapers are 14 years apart and the newer one has a definite shoulder the older one doesn't have, maybe as the fit template got worn over time or something. The '59 has about the same shoulder as the newer slim taper, just has a bit more meat to it.

Gfunk_Minor

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What country are you in?
Honeyburst with lots of grain AND mineral spots are what I'm looking for.

Can you send photos?

Vevel15

Reaction score
Were it me, red classic, 100%.. you prefer the neck type, the colour, it's cheaper.. definitely worth a punt.

You say the classic you tried had a thicker neck than the '50s Standard? :hmm: Could it not be a mis-labelled '60s Standard? I have two slim taper necks and recently acquired a mid 2000s '59 one- the two slim tapers are 14 years apart and the newer one has a definite shoulder the older one doesn't have, maybe as the fit template got worn over time or something. The '59 has about the same shoulder as the newer slim taper, just has a bit more meat to it.
My bad. I mean..when I was playing 50s GT for few days, neck felt rly fat and not so comfy. But when I tried 50s tobacco burst after playing classic in shop, I realized that difference between 50s and 60s slimtaper necks isnt as big as I thought after few days of testing 50s standard.

E.T.

Reaction score
Oh OK! Yeah, I don't feel much of a difference, especially with the newer slim taper neck. I compared the old ('90s) one with the neck on an Epiphone '56 pro once, that was much more night and day.

Neofelis Nebulosa

Reaction score
Get the Classic

Cover with stickers or rattle can paint job

Play some Hardcore Punk

Have fun, Good Luck

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Classic all the way, or if you can find a Trad ProV almost same guitar which also has the coil tap (p-90 sound) plus a split option (single coil) and an assymetrical neck & satin finish.

More sound availabe with the Classic and Trad than a Standard, especially for punk- the coil tap/split can make distorted sounds brighter and chunkier in one pickup (or both) and then switching to other pickup in humbucker mode for screaming leads!

Also easier and more fun to dial in differnet raw and unique sounds with push pulls, rather than only humbuckers with lower output of the 50’s.

endial

Reaction score
What country are you in?
Honeyburst with lots of grain AND mineral spots are what I'm looking for.

Can you send photos?
Yeah, this all day long. The description, alone, had me sold. What's more punk (and beautiful) than a mineral-streaked grainy Lester that "nobody* wants"?

*Excepting us really cool folk.

Gyopo

Reaction score
Do you have to buy it now or can you hold out a little longer and see if restock will make a slimmer neck Goldtop available? In all honesty, all your options right now are great. The 50's Goldtop is great but the neck will bother you forever if it isn't super comfortable especially considering the price you'll be paying. The Classic is a fantastic top but if it isn't your top then you're going to look to replace it before long. If possible, hold out for a slim neck Goldtop. If not, grab the Honeyburst.

sparky2

Reaction score
Vevel15,

I would hold off, and avoid an impulse purchase.
It would suck to buy something that's not quite right, and end up having to sell it six months later.

The right one will come along, trust me.

:)

Rozman62

Reaction score
I have the translucent cherry and it's a very nice guitar. Love the 61 pups. People complain the bridge pup is to bright.... turn your tone knob down to 6-7. Get the gold top if you want a solid color and it's the only one available or order a black one if possible. I think the classic is the best bang for the buck right now. Would not be surprised if the price jumped to $2200-2300 in the US soon.

Vevel15

Reaction score
For various reasons- mainly I dont want it to be banged already- I'm looking for a brand new one. I doubt there will be new goldtops with slim taper in the upcoming future as GT classics were discontinued. Iwill decide between cherry and goldtop, but I'm definely leaning towards GT for looks, but cherry has two strikes against one - pups and neck profile.

Thanks for your input guys

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I did get a guitar with a Medium C neck, which is smaller than the 50's neck on the Goldtop you're looking at. Eventually, I just could not get along with it and got a couple of other Slim Taper neck guitars, they feel/play so much better in my hands. I have had two Medium C neck guitars which were beautiful, but they just did not feel the best to me, so I did get rid of them, for a loss of course. Get the one that feels/plays best in your hands, you can always change the electronics and even the color if you want. I would do the Cherry Classic all day out of those choices.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
choose the neck profile first. Once you're good with that, then it's a matter of price and finish you like..
I like all 3 of these finishes, but the honeyburst is my personal favorite

Latest Threads