New Les Paul Studio: Dry fret board?

LazyGuitar

Reaction score
Hey all. Took like 25 years but finally got a Les Paul. I'm not a super picky guitarist and have always bought random stuff I regretted. Anyways wifey bought me this one for Fathers Day.

Plays very well but I find that on some of the bends my finger hits the fret board and "sticks". Like if you were to rub two dry fingers together. Like it wasn't oiled or something. The board gives off a rubbing sound when this happens. Much more than any of my other guitars.

I don't need a super slippery feel but I don't want to feel the fret board grabbing me back. You might be able to see a lighter stripe on the neck in the pics.

It's not a HUGE issue so I'm wondering if it's something that will go away with play or if I should strip it down and oil it up.

Aside from that the guitar has some minor blemishes which I assume comes with the territory. Wavy "lacquer" on side of neck/fretboard. (no binding on this one). Some sawdust (??) initially on the board that I had to get off with my finger nail. They also sent me a personalized picture of it in the factory sitting on a dirty mousepad next to a dirty keyboard which was cool but odd.

Love the guitar though sounds great and plays ALMOST perfect. Look much glossier in person. Tangerine Burst. According to the card made on 6/3/21

Attachments

mr. rj

Reaction score
I also just got a studio the other day (bourbon burst) and it needed conditioning, looks like yours will need it also. I had to scrape away the glue that holds the fretwire in, other than than that, it plays as it should.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Signs of a dry fretboard are usually a pale color, larger pores, fret edges sticking out from the sides, cracks showing.

Did you try cleaning and conditioning your fretboard yet?

How are the frets doing? Are they still smooth? Do they have any rust, oxidation?
Are the strings fresh?
You normally don't really touch the fretboard while playing, when it feels uncomfortable it's usually the contact between fret and string that you feel.

LazyGuitar

Reaction score
I also just got a studio the other day (bourbon burst) and it needed conditioning, looks like yours will need it also. I had to scrape away the glue that holds the fretwire in, other than than that, it plays as it should.
OK good to hear I'm not the only one. I'll probably play it for a week and then swap strings/oil.

LazyGuitar

Reaction score
Signs of a dry fretboard are usually a pale color, larger pores, fret edges sticking out from the sides, cracks showing.

Did you try cleaning and conditioning your fretboard yet?

How are the frets doing? Are they still smooth? Do they have any rust, oxidation?
Are the strings fresh?
You normally don't really touch the fretboard while playing, when it feels uncomfortable it's usually the contact between fret and string that you feel.
It's brand new so everything seems pretty good on it. Its really only on heavy bends when I'm pressing with a decent amount of force. I could just need to ease up on the pressure lol

DJGranite

Reaction score
When I got my 2019 LP Jr the fretboard was dry, like this
DSCN2047 (2).JPG

I could have used Lemon oil, have some and intended to when I changed the strings but in the meantime just the natural oils from my hands oiled it pretty well.
20201218_113840 (2).jpg

The second pic was about 8 months ago.
It's much darker and more evenly colored now.

Edit: I just took a new pic... still has the original strings, no lemon oil added yet
6-21-2021 (2).jpg

It's hard to get a good pic, it looks much more evenly darkened in person except right to beside the nut and at the last fret or two which are still a bit dry looking still.

Last edited:

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
get Dunlop 6502 conditioner..... works amazing and gives the RW a dark look.

Lemon oil is nasty and smelly.

LazyGuitar

Reaction score
When I got my 2019 LP Jr the fretboard was dry, like this
View attachment 545053

I could have used Lemon oil, have some and intended to when I changed the strings but in the meantime just the natural oils from my hands oiled it pretty well.
View attachment 545054
The second pic was about 8 months ago.
It's much darker and more evenly colored now.

Edit: I just took a new pic... still has the original strings, no lemon oil added yet
View attachment 545055
It's hard to get a good pic, it looks much more evenly darkened in person except right to beside the nut and at the last fret or two which are still a bit dry looking still.
It looks way darker!

Thats amazing

pondcaster

Reaction score
Almost all of the "new" LPs I've gotten in the last couple of years have arrived with slightly thirsty fretboards. No big deal. Seems pretty normal.

Others have their favorites but all the old school luthiers I've had the opportunity to ask have always recommended as close to pure mineral oil as I could find.

In other words, go to CVS and get their "cleanest" (no fragrance, if possible) Baby Oil. Check the ingredients. Only mineral oil. $2 worth has lasted me almost three years.

Only takes the tiniest of amounts to do the job. Mine get it twice a year, normally when I change strings...

irocdave12

Reaction score
Dry fretboards are pretty typical of new Gibsons. They just get a quick oil wipe during production Nothing that could ever really soak in and properly condition so by the time it make it into the customers hands it looks dried out. Get a product called Fret Doctor. It’s simply the best stuff Ive used having tried pretty much everything out there

truckermde

Reaction score
OK good to hear I'm not the only one. I'll probably play it for a week and then swap strings/oil.
That's the ticket.

If you like bends a lot, you might as well polish the frets while you've got the strings off...

HNGD, and welcome!! :)

I like that finish!

:cheers2:

LazyGuitar

Reaction score
That's the ticket.

If you like bends a lot, you might as well polish the frets while you've got the strings off...

HNGD, and welcome!! :)

I like that finish!

:cheers2:
Thanks I've never got the classic finishes appeal (I mean I get it but they don't do much for me). I remember seeing a Kona (?) Les Paul back in Highschool and also a cherry red studio and I always LOVED the looks of them. In fact I like the looks of the EPI LPs more than most of the gibsons. That Epi Modern in Green looks amazing IMO. Wife offered a LP to me though so I went with the Gibby. Tangerine burst looks really nice IMO. I had poor lighting its otherwise really shiny and glossy.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Oh god no.... thats for furniture mate. read the reviews on this stuff, the results are impressive.

This is what Freddy G and other luthiers I respect use. I’ve been using it for 20 years. What you are recommending is the same as Weimans, except drastically more per fluid ounce. Thin mineral oil is all it is, with a scent.

Recklessrog

Reaction score
I've still got a tin of Fast Fret I've had for 20 years, an imprenated fibre wad on the end of a wood handle. It cleans the strings, frets, and oils the fret board in 1 or 2 wipes. Get it on Amazon or any good guitar store.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what Freddy G and other luthiers I respect use. I’ve been using it for 20 years. What you are recommending is the same as Weimans, except drastically more per fluid ounce. Thin mineral oil is all it is, with a scent.
Naa that weimans stuff is super greasy feeling and makes your guitar smell like pledge. Get with the times bro.

Latest Threads